U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,430,396 times

Advertisements

Some mor4e advice: When booking day trips/excursions, Viator and other third party operators will come up, but always book with a local outfit when possible. It just saves having to go through them if there are any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,895,036 times
And some other advice: look for free walking tours, do those first.

They usually meet somewhere downtown, are in English, and walk around in a group to see lots of things at a scratch the surface level while getting some historical background on everything. It's great since opens up lots of other possibilities, if you like the cathedral you saw on the outside then plan to come back to see it more, etc.

It's convenient, and standard throw-in is a five dollarish tip to the guide at the end.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM

7,683 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Also old school travel books- if you don't want to buy, your local library should have copies of the Lonely Planet (younger, hipper) and Rick Steves (targeting a little older crowd who sees musty as 'more authentic') books for those respective regions.

There are things you will miss no matter how well you plan. I think it would take at least two months to feel like I've really seen London alone. Fortunately, you can always go back, even if you're pushing a stroller with you, so treat this as a chance to sample some cool stuff and not necessarily as a once in a lifetime thing.

It's not a bad idea to use tour group itineraries to get ideas of what to see and how to map it out- just plan on the DIY option taking twice as long so either do half the things or use twice the days.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:32 PM

9,395 posts, read 6,264,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
work with a travel agent. But not a tour.

Don't do a tour on your honeymoon....

No time away from others on the trip. And yes, they have most every hour scheduled down to the minute. No time left for spur of the moment ideas....or fun. Plus you never know what type of people you might get stuck with...
bingo!

Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
Find a nice honeymoon-worthy hotel & once in the country ask the concierge, or front desk for info on best sights, tours, etc... Many times they will set these up for you, or you could ask them for a recommendation of a good travel agency that will set up the tours you want. One advantage to this is that it is cheaper to do it in the city you're staying rather than when overseas & that agency may only book the same tours with a commision & currency exchange fee added.

You will also be able to set it up for the times you wish to tour & not according to some predetermined schedule. Also a lot of the charm of cities like Paris, et al., is wandering around & discovering something on your own. You should read some guides first to orient yourself to what you may want to do. Some of the really major attractions have online ticketing/reservations you can do a day or two before since those lines can be epic & hours long.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Find a nice honeymoon-worthy hotel ....

or a far-away / quiet / romantic castle / chalet
I'm not a hotel person...YMMV.

The BEST / most memorable part of our honeymoon 4.5 decades ago was NOT the hotels!, but the 'get-away's / spontaneous events (only available during the time you are NOT 'SCHEDULED" for activities...)

Oh to do the honeymoon over again... that would be WAY different / improved and memorable. Definitely NOT "planned" !

1) Get married...
2) go on honeymoon
3) come home (if you must)

Old 02-13-2019, 12:56 AM

9,683 posts, read 18,871,262 times
We just had a trip to Europe and all we did was schedule the airline, the shuttle between the airline and the BnB and the shuttle back to the airport. Most of the rest we filled in as we went along.

There was one attraction we wanted to visit and I'd booked reservations for that (with 'skip the line' tickets) before we got there, but there was a lot of unscheduled time to look around and see things in an unplanned fashion.

I did have a list of interesting sights, spots and things to do in the general area. A few maps of the area, some on paper, some in my phone. As well as the bus and metro schedules. I'd also done a bit of 'Google walking' via Google street view before we got there so I kinda had a layout of our general area. I already knew where the best coffee & croissants were before we arrived but we still discovered all sorts of interesting things while we were there.

A bit of homework before you arrive will be repaid in a much better experience while you're there.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:57 AM

6,208 posts, read 2,868,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Also old school travel books- if you don't want to buy, your local library should have copies of the Lonely Planet (younger, hipper) and Rick Steves (targeting a little older crowd who sees musty as 'more authentic') books for those respective regions.

There are things you will miss no matter how well you plan. I think it would take at least two months to feel like I've really seen London alone. Fortunately, you can always go back, even if you're pushing a stroller with you, so treat this as a chance to sample some cool stuff and not necessarily as a once in a lifetime thing.

It's not a bad idea to use tour group itineraries to get ideas of what to see and how to map it out- just plan on the DIY option taking twice as long so either do half the things or use twice the days.
Great suggestions! Thank you for the laugh though as my Son and His Beloved Used Books and TV shows from Rick Steves to plan their Honeymoon ( ala carte!) . yes they did some Tourist attractions that were once in a life time for their time capsule of the honeymoon adventure. Mostly it was based on all the Restaurants they wanted to try....From Italy (4 days) to Spain ( three days) and Paris ( for 4 days).

They did use the rail system and found it extremely timely and cost effective. When they flew in from Paris to Spain they had more problems getting their luggage so they said next time a nice little rail trip is in order.

As I recall they had limited cell phone even with their international calling card, so that was a challenge to get service when they went ala carte.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 AM

1,179 posts, read 479,141 times
I used to use Frommers travel books, but nowadays I research online. I especially like Fodors website and books for this.

London, Paris, and Amsterdam is a good mix. How long will you be traveling?

I normally do the planning and itinerary myself after a good bit of research, using tours only for things that are hard to manage on my own. But everyone has their own preference on this.

Have fun!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:48 AM

2,103 posts, read 717,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
As I recall they had limited cell phone even with their international calling card, so that was a challenge to get service when they went ala carte.
This is getting cheaper and easier. When I went to Reykjavik in 2017 I bought a SIM card on the flight over for about $25, swapped out the one in my 5th generation iPhone and had a working phone with a Reykjavik-area number when I landed. Last October I was pleasantly surprised; bought a SIM card in Edinburgh which they said would work all over the EU and when I went on to Paris, it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or