U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 03:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times

Advertisements

Greek Islands are on my next trip to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,795,310 times
We AirBNB a lot on our Europe trips. Usually cheaper than hotels and you can almost always get a decent one last minute.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 724,801 times
Thank you everyone for your tips and suggestions.

We have the general timeline plotted out (5 days Paris/4 days London) and are now planning on filling in the gaps. I think in both cities we'd like to look into some excursions, such as wine tasting in France. As a member of AAA I can price out some excursions but I'm wondering if these are items best to be purchased in advance or if it would be more beneficial to work with the hotel concierge for these activities.

I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,227,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Thank you everyone for your tips and suggestions.

We have the general timeline plotted out (5 days Paris/4 days London) and are now planning on filling in the gaps. I think in both cities we'd like to look into some excursions, such as wine tasting in France. As a member of AAA I can price out some excursions but I'm wondering if these are items best to be purchased in advance or if it would be more beneficial to work with the hotel concierge for these activities.

I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!
Walking tours are your friend in those cities. They are cheaper than bus tours, you see more and there are numerous health benefits.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,552 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Walking tours are your friend in those cities. They are cheaper than bus tours, you see more and there are numerous health benefits.
yes, walking tours preferred in the cities of Europe. Do a morning hosted 'free' tour, then use a Rick Steves type guide for afternoon.

For wine tour, get the scoop where they go (stops and locations) and consider a smaller 'van tour' fewer people = MORE stops, or... take a train out a ways, get a rental car (or scooter) or driver, and DIY (Not DUI!!!) .. be careful on your choices. (I go rural for the view and meeting farmers, and I don't drink. ) I have my own farm, so rural / AG tours are my focus.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM

3,662 posts, read 6,484,389 times
You can easily do these on your own and focus on what you want to see, and it will be way cheaper to boot

Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 AM

1,295 posts, read 724,801 times
Rather than open multiple threads and clutter up the forum, I'm trying to keep this all on one thread. And I truly appreciate everyone's help!

How far in advance should I book my hotels? I'm not traveling until October 2019. I've narrowed my hotels down to two in Paris. I've followed them on Facebook just to see if any specials/promos come across my screen and did notice one of the hotels had "20% off for bookings" of a certain time (I want to say May). My question is, should I wait a few months and book later to save a buck or are these the types of bookings where it's still cheaper for the "pay in advance" rate?

Also, since this is a honeymoon, should I note that on the "requests" field during my booking? I'm not expecting anything free or some penthouse suite, I just didn't know if it was worthwhile to note in case the hotel does do something special for certain occasions.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,957,754 times
For Paris I would book now.

I have read through a lot of great contributing posts here on this thread.

For me we have always done seat of the pants traveling in Europe except for the night before we fly back we always reserve that room ahead of time, the other exception is the car rental which we always book in advance.

We usually travel in the September, October time frame so not sure if that helps us travel or what.

We usually try to book for next night when we settle in each night judging on what we are seeing or distance traveled. We have only gotten bit twice in all these years.

I will say though when trying to visit the cathedral in Barcelona and what is becoming a growing trend is you can no longer just walk up to a lot of these places and expect to buy a ticket and walk in. It is getting more and more prevelant where you have to purchase your tickets a week in advance.

There are numerous articles on the increasingly growing international travel. Amsterdam like other city's in Europe are seeing tourism on the rise and the increasing popularity of airb and b.

Quick read on the link below. The Familia was one of stops where you needed tickets a week out!

Europe Made Billions from Tourists. Now It

Good luck and Happy Honeymoon!

Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,552 posts, read 39,934,465 times
For something as important and memorable as a honeymoon, book the primary cities in advance and at the best place you can find that suits your style. (you may be disappointed, as facebook / Air B&B reviews are often very overrated).

For excursions / side trips, 'adventure' has been our most fond and memorable experiences. (finding a cute / clean / place off the beaten path (when we arrive).

Honeymoon?... additional stress is not good (especially if either / both have any OCD tenancies).

After you have experienced a few mutually caused catastrophes in travel, you will be able to mellow out and roll-with-the-punches, realizing nothing is perfect (except the honeymoon), and fun and spontaneity is OK (and often preferred).

Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The best view of the Eiffel Tower for a photograph is probably the Champs de Mars.
I prefer the Place du Trocadero. It's across the Seine River from the Eiffel Tower and is at a slight elevation. Makes for better pictures, in that you're looking more toward the tower instead of up at it.

This is the view from Trocadero:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8620...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No visit to Paris is complete without a visit to the Louvre.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Having said that, Paris (and France) will be the ultimate destination and we will have about 1 week (maybe plus one or two days) there. While we do want to see Paris, we also would like to take some excursions to the countryside whether day trips or an overnight.
I recommend the Loire Valley region. Loads of beautiful chateaux all over the place, plus there's the wine caves in Chinon. You can do day tours from Paris, or you might want to consider staying a night or two in a town in that area, such as Angers or Tours.

Threre's no way in the world that you'd have time to see more than a few chateaux, and you'd likely need to use a rental car or take a bus tour to maximize your time. Chambord is probably the most majestic one of them all. Azay-le-Rideau is in a particularly romantic setting. But really, it's hard to go wrong with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or