Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,413,337 times

Advertisements

I would just go. Book a hotel for the first night, after that, just see where you end up.
I am original Dutch and would never go to Amsterdam. It is extremely busy, lines everywhere and 3 times more expensive as the rest of the country. There are many smaller towns where you can spent all day being amazed.

Same goes for the two other cities... You wil spent 400 a day.

The train system is great in EU. Fying is cheaper, but in a train you see the cities and countryside.
Plus.... You DO have legroom.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 AM

26,918 posts, read 13,138,568 times
Here's a few useful sites

Eurail pass - Rail pass - Rail Europe railway passes

Beginner's guide to Eurail passes 2019 | Buy a Eurail pass online

Budget Airline | Book Cheap Flights Here | Skyscanner

Flights in Europe | GoEuro

Oyster cards and travelcards in London - Getting Around London

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-13-2019 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 AM

5,270 posts, read 3,135,836 times
Thanks everyone for the tips, tricks and links. I feel better about this now.

The trip should last about 2 weeks and I just put the "big cities" I want to visit, but aside from the touristy things to do (Buckingham Palace, Eiffel Tower, etc.) I would really like to see some countryside as well. I think my next steps are to nail down the timelines (i.e. 4 days in London etc.) and then branch out from there.

My preference is to use rail to get from place to place, and to see some countryside. The suggestion further up to ask the hotel concierge for recommendations seems like the best bet for the "free days" because I feel that would be more personal than me just hitting up a website that posts more touristy spots.

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:28 AM

13,261 posts, read 22,676,836 times
Do get Eiffel Tower tickets as soon as they go on sale online. The walk up line can be an hour or more. And Anne Frank House (Amsterdam) tickets also need to be bought online about 60 days ahead of time since you can’t really buy walk up tickets for that one.

We tend to go for no concierge hotels like Holiday Inn Express, Premiere Inn, Ibis, Ibis Styles, or Motel One with a goal of $80-$150 a night for room costs. Not fancy, but clean, quiet, and new enough to have been built with air conditioning, which can matter during summer months

Old 02-13-2019, 09:08 AM

5,270 posts, read 3,135,836 times
One other question - for those who have been to either Amsterdam, London or Paris - what are the best "outside the city" excursions you've been on? For example, if we are staying in London, what is a good day (or half day) trip? Can be with or without public transit. I'd like to see more than just the touristy main cities on the trip.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 AM

14,316 posts, read 14,114,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
One other question - for those who have been to either Amsterdam, London or Paris - what are the best "outside the city" excursions you've been on? For example, if we are staying in London, what is a good day (or half day) trip? Can be with or without public transit. I'd like to see more than just the touristy main cities on the trip.

Thanks!
London:

1. Stonehenge. (take a tour to get there)
2. Bath. (take a tour to get there)
3. Windsor Castle. (take a tour to get there)
4. Oxford. (take a tour)
5. Cambridge (take a tour)

Paris

1. Fontainbleu (Napoleon's palace) Easily accessible by train from Gare de Lyon.
2. Versailles (but its close by) a suburb of Paris reachable by the RER.
3. Giverny (where the artist Monet lived) Take a tour or rent a car to get there.

Amsterdam.

1. If you have full day consider taking a tour to Bruges, Belgium (considered one of the prettiest cities in the worldl)
2. Marken a lovely dutch village.
3. A countryside windmill tour including the dikes that keep the ocean from the land.
4. Volendam (picturesque harbor)

I would sign up for day tours to see all of the above attractions in the Netherlands.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 AM

13,261 posts, read 22,676,836 times
For Stonehenge, also do the nearby cathedral city of Salisbury- lovely old cathedral town with one of the surviving copies of the magna carta on display and sheep grazing in the fields just across the river.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,587 posts, read 57,536,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Thanks!
1) STAY outside the city (that is the richest experience and will save you 2 hr commute on a 1/2 day tour...)

Maps.me app has brought us many 'historical place' hidden gems (and plenty of 'Where's Waldo?" / can't find it)
I recently picked up a England Small Town Walking Tour book (in my $3 'BAG -o-books' from the library (All were travel books! yippee).. The BEST time I have had in rural areas were 'discovered' by taking time / lodging / dining / talking with 'locals' . Much of Europe is seriously into 'Trekking' long daily walks between pubs. Many horse tours between pubs (especially in Wales)

I would seriously NOT do UK and Mainland Western Europe in a single 2wk trip. Commute time is miserable / lost day (at least do night commute if you must commute).

When doing UK... add Wales, Scotland, Ireland and be SURE to buy a Royal Oak membership BEFORE you leave the USA (400 National Trust sites for $75 pass)

Amsterdam and Copenhagen you can rent bikes, scooters, and power boats for personalized tours. (waiting for buses eats a LOT of your day).

Plenty of nice countryside in France. Normandy Coast is very touching for those of us who had family spill blood there. There are many country estate museums / venues nearby.

remember... ENJOY the journey and do NOT book (a honeymoon) solid (1-50 yrs later...you will be disappointed you missed the 'roses'). The gems come unexpected! Journal ...and look back in 30 yrs ... totally Amazed!

Old 02-13-2019, 02:20 PM

5,227 posts, read 3,567,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Amsterdam.

1. If you have full day consider taking a tour to Bruges, Belgium (considered one of the prettiest cities in the worldl)
I didn't realize Bruges was that close to Amsterdam... I second this & would even suggest an overnight stay in this lovely place.

If you are doing all these by rail look into Eurail pass prices & see if they work out. It used to be required to be bought before arriving in Europe & I'm not sure if the UK participates.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:39 PM

127,937 posts, read 11,801,010 times
If you want to see Hampton Court Palace, near London, you can get there by boating along the Thames from Westminster, it is a beautiful trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel