U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 PM

57,491 posts, read 55,705,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
We stayed in Manhattan and loved the energy there. We got up early and walked about six blocks as the city was going to work. People walking everywhere. We walked in cadence with everyone and for like 30 minutes, we felt like New Yorkers! Strange, but that was the best part of the vacation for me...
That's true. It's a place where anyone can go and feel as if it's "their" city.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM

5,339 posts, read 2,450,677 times
Can you believe it? I canít believe this!

We are at 16 hours until leaving for NY! Iím so excited I might puke! Iíve kept Luke home from school for the past two weeks to work on behavioral issues & heís started doing really well just this past week; I just couldnít take the chance of the constant thorn-in-his-side triggering that school has become, potentially interfering with this trip.

But Iím so completely not ready! I couldnít spend any more money until today so Iíve got ... today!

My clothes are awful. Usually second-hand. Only 1 item that is not at least 3 years old. I look pretty much the same at 2am as I do at 2pm & just the thought of packing them in a suitcase is hysterical. I do have one outfit decent enough to wear to the airport, if I wear sneakers with a dress (I guess thats not technically an outfit). So I need something to wear & shoes, I think. I havenít eaten dinner for a week & a half so I could be smaller for the plane! It sorta worked (?) ... I just didnít want to be ďfat on a planeĒ, because I keep hearing people complain about how small the seats are.

I havenít flown since 1984! How do I get through this TSA thing with Luke? Will they make him take his shoes off? Iím reading everything I can & somebody mentioned them swabbing stuff? Are they going to need to swab him with something wet? He wears a GPS tracker, should I just put it in his pocket or strap it on him? Should I wash my sneakers since I spilled gasoline on the ground when I had to use a gas can for my car & I stepped in it? Iíve been all over their website but the only answers I can find are for questions normal people would ask ... GAAA! Too many questions, sorry!

My poor sweet doggy has to stay home with Lukeís dad & his 23 year old brother! She does not like boys except for Luke. I donít know why; sheís been like that since day 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 01:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 506,832 times
Will address only one issue you raised above, coschristi. Don’t worry about dressing down — in fact, it’s preferable to do so. You don’t want to give off the vibe of having loads of money on you. I never dress fancy when I travel — black jeans, t-shirt, comfy black sneakers, thin windbreaker jacket if weather is cooler. Unless you have to go someplace where you must dress fancy, I wouldn’t.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Will address only one issue you raised above, coschristi. Donít worry about dressing down ó in fact, itís preferable to do so. You donít want to give off the vibe of having loads of money on you. I never dress fancy when I travel ó black jeans, t-shirt, comfy black sneakers, thin windbreaker jacket if weather is cooler. Unless you have to go someplace where you must dress fancy, I wouldnít.
Thank you! I have been caregiving for 13 years now & wear activewear. Even before that I worked as an RN; I had scrubs for work & ... activewear ... for home. I wouldnít know how to shop for ďbusiness casualĒ if my life depended on it!

Plus, I have Luke & heís a pro at the turn & dash, pause & bolt, etc ... Heís got some moves! Once in a hotel he bolted down the hall, turned the corner & dipped into the elevator just as the doors were closing. I came around the corner just in time to see the doors close & hear a giggle ... I just stood there for a moment frozen; watching the the light going; bing ... bing ... bing ... as he went up & up.

Terrible feeling!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:47 PM

5,741 posts, read 2,502,849 times
I would be extremely careful with a teen that bolts in NYC.

Will he be still for a plane trip?

Old 03-23-2019, 01:49 PM

17,679 posts, read 19,915,870 times
Which airport did you land at? Maybe you mentioned it before, but I missed it.

Tell us about your experience flying in and reaching your hotel.

The weather should be cool but nice tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Yes, cochristi, I would like to hear about your trip to the city, too.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Which airport did you land at? Maybe you mentioned it before, but I missed it.

Tell us about your experience flying in and reaching your hotel.

The weather should be cool but nice tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, cochristi, I would like to hear about your trip to the city, too.
Oh I will definitely be posting about it! We landed at La Guardia & I’m still here; it is so beautiful & amazing! I love every bit of it, even the trash bags set out at night is interesting ... we can’t do that in Colorado (bears, where I live & racoons & coyotes everywhere)!

And; New York? Nobody told me how nice the men are in NY! WTH? They are so nice to Luke & I! I promise they can’t like me for my money because I don’t have any ...And Luke liked the woman screaming about Jesus in the subway; it’s the very first time he has ever asked “Why?” About somebody’s behavior. (Usually I ask him “why” about his behavior & I get ignored). We separate from the group a lot so we learned to navigate the subway on our own. One subway employee gave Luke his own personal system map & Luke is in awe of it.

Luke loves it here! More later ...

Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 PM

9,428 posts, read 8,674,062 times
That is an amazing first impression of New York. Love your son’s reaction.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM

I love your description of it, too. Keep having fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or