U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 AM

5,339 posts, read 2,450,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I would be extremely careful with a teen that bolts in NYC.

Will he be still for a plane trip?
We have the return flight this afternoon still but the flight here he did really well on. The very first employee at DIA put him on priority status so he wasn’t crowded or squished trying to board & that may have made the difference.

I’ve discovered that anybody who wishes to avoid hustlers should really travel with Luke, in fact some of the girls’ group noticed that & started sticking closer by us, rather than the chaperones! Luke is a BIG kid & he’s supposed to be 6’7” at full grown. He’s only 6’2” right now (With a 14 EE shoe) at age 15 but he lunges, flaps, walks really fast with huge strides & doesn’t feel obliged to speak when spoken to.

He’s like Moses in a Red Sea of Times Square hustlers ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM

665 posts, read 598,779 times
Can't wait to hear about your trip! Details please...

Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 AM

5,837 posts, read 3,779,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I love every bit of it, even the trash bags set out at night is interesting.
I find this to be really quite sweet and endearing. This is probably the first time that I've ever heard of anyone speaking of New York's garbage in a favorable light.

So glad that the trip is going well for you. And in at least one way, I am like Luke: I love to pour over the subway route map too.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:16 PM

I am so glad we got to go to the WTC Memorial/Museum; my twin girls were born 9/14 but they have had their own version of the "Where were you when ..." experience but had remained somewhat emotionally unconnected to the event (understandably; as pre-borns).

Basically; they were almost born on 9/11, as I had an eerie pre-attack experience about 5 hours before & then I was watching the live coverage of the fire in the first tower & saw the airplane coming in to impact the second.

The stress of just watching that happen live had put me into labor; something my pre-scheduled c-section was supposed to avoid, as I was at risk for uterine rupture. I spent the day lying down on the sofa with the blinds drawn & the A/C blasting; trying to keep my environment cool & dark & trying to avoid having to join the masses that were reportedly flooding the ERs across the country, with anxiety attacks & chest pain. Luckily; I managed to calm my 5-minute apart contractions down to zero by drinking a lot of fluids & staying on self-imposed "bedrest".

Before visiting the Memorial, to the girls, there had been a novelty feature to 9/11; "Hey, we were almost born on 9/11 because Mom got too stressed out". Now; they have a better understanding of the gravity of the event.

What I probably will never be able to resolve is why (if?) ... On 9/11 at 0430; NBC on channels 5/30 in Southern Colorado played a "Tonight Show" rerun, that originally aired on February 26 of either 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 or 2000.

Because I couldn't sleep for a good 2 months during that last trimester & I was still awake at 0430 on 9/11 & I distinctly heard Jay Leno say; "So, today is the anniversary of the bombing at the World Trade Center ..." Which was literally followed by laughter from the audience ... Which I can only assume was due to this AP article from 1995, in which one of the terrorists involved, Siddig Ali; criticized a co-defendant:

Quote:
In the transcript, Siddig Ali told Salem that Salameh fouled up the trade center plan by renting a van in his own name. Salameh was arrested days after the bombing when he claimed the van was lost and asked the rental company for his $400 deposit.

Siddig Ali said Salameh’s actions would likely cause Americans to call him ``the stupidest terrorist in the world.″

``He is the stupidest, the stupidest, the stupidest of God’s creatures!″ he said.
https://www.apnews.com/ab0baeb633ce45ae90f472e22958af37

So was it a coincidence that a show showing Americans mocking the first "bungled" attempt was rerun on 9/11 about 5 hours prior to the attack? I will never forget that feeling of dissonance from falling asleep to Leno's frivolous monologue on the "Tonight Show" & waking up to live footage of the burning north tower & Katie Couric's voice on the "Today Show"... Either somebody knew something & used that rerun intentionally, or ... it was purely coincidental.

At any rate; the Memorial was a very good experience for young people who don't have personal memories from that day. They use a lot of media visual & audio interactives, which is a primary way that young people communicate these days but they also maintain a proper decorum fitting for what is, unfortunately; the final resting place of thousands. Even Luke was unusually subdued & seemed to grasp the magnitude of where we were, yet he did not obsess on the subject (was a little concerned that he would have difficulty processing it all). Luke contemplating at the WTC Memorial:

I get to go to New York!-20190324_120416_2-1-.jpg

Old 03-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find this to be really quite sweet and endearing. This is probably the first time that I've ever heard of anyone speaking of New York's garbage in a favorable light.

So glad that the trip is going well for you. And in at least one way, I am like Luke: I love to pour over the subway route map too.
Do you? Oh, Luke is a huge map fan! I learned what both Google Street View & Google Earth were from him ... while he was still 100% non-verbal, no less.

I think he was about 7 or 8 years old, sitting at the computer & I thought at first he was watching a video of something about a desert until I saw a woman walking down the road leading a Burro ... & then a man on a bicycle ... & I looked closer & yelled, "How did you do that!" He just giggled so I just sat behind him for almost an hour as he "toured" somewhere in the middle of Mexico. This was in about 2011 & the girls were only maybe 9 or 10 years old, so they hadn't taught him; it was so cool!

He is now familiar with every square inch of Tokyo, Egypt, The Great Wall of China & most recently; Scotland. He also creates his own maps of imaginary worlds. There is the "Spring Kingdom", "Weather Land" & "Odyssey land". They are displayed on my living room wall.

I was very surprised at how quickly I could get turned around in Manhattan, without a map! You wouldn't think so, with there being so many landmarks in the form of huge buildings but being unfamiliar with the skyline; I got lost more than once while on foot, including walking right past our entrance to the Subway ... twice.

And yes; the garbage! It just seemed so ... real! Luke wanted to go to Chinatown, so Anastasia (my 22 yr old daughter), Luke & I took an Uber there around 8 pm on Sunday night & stayed until around 10 pm & we saw people just stacking bags at the curb ... HUGE stacks of bags. But that is real life; who knows how many people are in just one building? I'm assuming all the floors above the street level businesses are apartments? Of course, there will be trash! It's the people & how they live. That is what I love & I absolutely loved the people of NYC.

Speaking of people, I need to devote a post soon to the Uber drivers; they deserve it! OMG I LOVE your Uber drivers!

Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 PM

9,821 posts, read 13,697,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Do you? Oh, Luke is a huge map fan! I learned what both Google Street View & Google Earth were from him ... while he was still 100% non-verbal, no less.

I think he was about 7 or 8 years old, sitting at the computer & I thought at first he was watching a video of something about a desert until I saw a woman walking down the road leading a Burro ... & then a man on a bicycle ... & I looked closer & yelled, "How did you do that!" He just giggled so I just sat behind him for almost an hour as he "toured" somewhere in the middle of Mexico. This was in about 2011 & the girls were only maybe 9 or 10 years old, so they hadn't taught him; it was so cool!

He is now familiar with every square inch of Tokyo, Egypt, The Great Wall of China & most recently; Scotland. He also creates his own maps of imaginary worlds. There is the "Spring Kingdom", "Weather Land" & "Odyssey land". They are displayed on my living room wall.

I was very surprised at how quickly I could get turned around in Manhattan, without a map! You wouldn't think so, with there being so many landmarks in the form of huge buildings but being unfamiliar with the skyline; I got lost more than once while on foot, including walking right past our entrance to the Subway ... twice.

And yes; the garbage! It just seemed so ... real! Luke wanted to go to Chinatown, so Anastasia (my 22 yr old daughter), Luke & I took an Uber there around 8 pm on Sunday night & stayed until around 10 pm & we saw people just stacking bags at the curb ... HUGE stacks of bags. But that is real life; who knows how many people are in just one building? I'm assuming all the floors above the street level businesses are apartments? Of course, there will be trash! It's the people & how they live. That is what I love & I absolutely loved the people of NYC.

Speaking of people, I need to devote a post soon to the Uber drivers; they deserve it! OMG I LOVE your Uber drivers!
NY's garbage is a sign of reality. NYers are real people with real lives. We know our city isn't perfect but it's part of what makes us, us. The grit, the rats, the garbage, the filth … this is why I love NYC. WE don't try to be some pristine, perfect magical place … but with all this, people live here because they genuinely LOVE it.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 PM

5,837 posts, read 3,779,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NY's garbage is a sign of reality. NYers are real people with real lives. We know our city isn't perfect but it's part of what makes us, us. The grit, the rats, the garbage, the filth … this is why I love NYC. WE don't try to be some pristine, perfect magical place … but with all this, people live here because they genuinely LOVE it.
To each his own. There's actually quite a bit that I like about New York, but the garbage is not one of those things. Imagine my surprise when I went there some years ago in the company of a lady from Ethiopia, and she commented on how the city was dirtier than her country's capital city of Addis Ababa. Think about that -- the oft-claimed Greatest City In The Entire World is dirtier than the main city of the country that, not so long ago, was the international poster child for famine and starvation. Honestly, I was embarrassed for my country when this happened.

Of course, 8 million people are going to generate a lot of garbage, and it has to be disposed of somehow. But I spent a week in Seoul, a city of 10 million people, and I don't recall seeing a single piece of litter, much less garbage bags on the sidewalk. Somehow they've found a way to get rid of their garbage without making a bit stinking mess about it. I wish that New York would take steps in that direction as well.

But hey, I don't live there, so my opinion doesn't really matter. If you're happy in New York, garbage and all, I'm genuinely pleased for you.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:19 PM

35,331 posts, read 25,668,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I wish that New York would take steps in that direction as well.

Well, public works can do a lot more when they have more money. The overall tax rate in Korea is significantly higher.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM

3,077 posts, read 1,673,066 times
And neither Addis Ababa or Seoul have millions of people crammed onto a small island.

Here is a story how a massive "landslide" of garbage in the city of Addis Ababa killed over 100 people: https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/15/afric...oll/index.html

People see what they want to see sometimes.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Default NYC Uber experience (1st uber ever)

Sorry, it took so long for me to post; I'm actually still processing it all. Still, on 'Cloud 9', I do truly love NY!

NYC Uber drivers are absolutely amazing (okay; I'd never taken an Uber before). Luke has this thing about 'Chinatowns'. Any major city that has a neighborhood called Chinatown is a city that Luke wants to see & my 22-year-old daughter Anastasia came with us & she is all about Uber.

So we decided to go to Chinatown for dinner. It was kind of hard to navigate online information like reviews so I figured we would just show up in the general vicinity & wing it.

'Winging it' is not actually recommended when you caregive for an autistic person. Luke is the exception to the rule but only when it happens anywhere else but at home. At home, he perseverates with 'free time' & will attempt to micromanage me & every second of the day. From 0640 when he wakes up (no alarm needed), to 'clothing time', 'bus time', 'draw time', 'showtime', etc … Luke will stop at nothing to avoid ''anticipating'.

So our Uber shows up at the hotel (The Paramount on W 46th street, in between 7th & 8th avenue); a quiet (at first), dark complexioned man in his 40s. I sat with Luke in the back seat & Anastasia sat up front. He did make an attempt at 'small talk'; enough to know that I was in NYC with three daughters & a son.

So he says; “I have 4 children also; 2 boys & 2 girls”. I told him I thought that was awesome, I love kids; I can talk about kids all day long! But Anastasia gave me up by giggling so I had to say “I have more than… well, I have a lot of kids ...” And he's eyeing me in the rear-view mirror so I kept going; “There are 7 boys & 4 girls but I did have twins … twice. Anastasia is number 8 & Luke is number 11.

To my surprise, the guy gets a huge smile on his face & loudly proclaims “I LOVE you! I mean … I love that!”

Huh? That's literally the only response I haven't ever heard. Turns out; that would not be the only time an NYC Uber driver would say; "I love you!" (more on that later).

It was so amazing to take it all in & not have to be the one driving! It seems as though almost every single car on the roads in Manhattan were “drivers”. Could that even be? We headed southeast on W. 46th & took a right on Park Ave & went down all the way to I think Grand Street & took a left.

It was right around there that the scenery changed a bit. 'Darker' maybe? But so authentic … fire escapes! This was at about 9 pm on a Sunday night. Luke's eyes were really big! He said; “Why-there-trash.” I answered; “Well, you don't want to eat somewhere that doesn't throw out their trash, do you?” “No!” 'Ritz & Glitz' is nice but I love authentic.

I think; to drive in NYC you have to be a little assertive. Not drive assertive (well that too) but be assertive, like as a part of your base personality. I have even more respect now for my dad; after I told him my observation on driving in NYC, he just shrugged & said; “You ought to try Tokyo!”

Our driver, this 40-something-year-old, pronatal, father of 4 from Alexandria, Egypt, had the right mix of assertiveness without being aggressive. I like that. And we talked the entire time. Anastasia handled it like a champ. If the 17-year old twins would have been there, they would have been rolling their eyes & probably trying to hide under a floor mat.

Okay, from Grant street we turned onto Baxter street & just got dropped off. We had, of course; no idea what we were doing or where we were, so we walked around until we found an open place; it was called; “Nah Trang One” a Vietnamese restaurant.

Ooh, NY; you are so lucky to have a place like that! It was cold & dark outside but inside 87 Baxter street, it was warm & bright & the tea was hot. I ordered Barbecued Pork Fried Rice & my plate came with a massive, steaming amount of the best food ever. They are open every night until 11 pm… Why couldn't I have been in NYC when I was pregnant?

It was perfect. The best fried-rice in the world, two of the best kids in the world, I got to see more of NYC & I met someone who “loved” that I am a mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or