U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 AM

4,954 posts, read 2,284,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have a great time...no place like NYC!!!
I canít wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
For me NYC just doesn't get it. I would prefer Quebec city and Montreal or a Caribbean cruise.
Thatís what my dad said! Heís actually going to revisit his old ďstomping groundsĒ: Washington DC, while we are in New York. Heís a retired Air Force Colonel & was based out of an intelligence unit at the Pentagon. Thank God for my dad, Iím so lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Awesome! So happy to hear you get to go. You might see my daughter there. She is going with her hs band and I think they are going to Carnegie Hall.
Wow, no way! Thatís awesome! One of the twins plays Clarinet, the other is 1st chair Trombone. Funny thing is; 37 years ago; I was their band teacherís first chair Trombone. At that time I was the only female Trombone player in the whole district but that has since changed.

My girls are playing on the 25th but we donít know the time yet. I bet your daughter is excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 02:49 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,637,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I envy people who are seeing NYC for the first time. It is a larger-than-life sensation.

Hopefully, the weather should be good for visiting in late March.
I probably looked like a complete idiot the first time I visited NY. I'm pretty sure I just stood there on the street, mouth gaping and eyes wide, thinking to myself "OMG, it's real. It's really real."

Old 02-14-2019, 06:49 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I envy people who are seeing NYC for the first time. It is a larger-than-life sensation.

Hopefully, the weather should be good for visiting in late March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I probably looked like a complete idiot the first time I visited NY. I'm pretty sure I just stood there on the street, mouth gaping and eyes wide, thinking to myself "OMG, it's real. It's really real."

Yep, that was me too. My first time there, I looked every inch the awestruck tourist, gaping up at the tall buildings and just soaking it all in. My first visit to New York was in 1984, when the city was still mired in its "Death Wish" phase of decay; yet I was still amazed by it all. It's so much nicer now than it was back then.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can't tell if you are excited or apprehensive, or maybe both. In any case, I hope you all have a great trip.

A word of caution: New York's subways are LOUD! I don't know if this is an issue for either of you or not, but it's something that you should be aware of. They can also be very crowded, especially during rush hour but sometimes other times as well. Again, I don't know if having your personal space encroached upon is an issue for either of you, but there it is. And finally, make sure that you stand behind the yellow lines on the platform edges until the arriving train comes to a complete stop; you wouldn't want either of you to risk losing your balance and falling onto the tracks.
& the rats ... but after 37 years, theyíve just become my friends

Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Quote:
Yep, that was me too. My first time there, I looked every inch the awestruck tourist, gaping up at the tall buildings and just soaking it all in. My first visit to New York was in 1984, when the city was still mired in its "Death Wish" phase of decay; yet I was still amazed by it all. It's so much nicer now than it was back then.
That's going to be me ... I get dizzy looking up in downtown Denver. What I can't conceive of, is how much of NYC (especially Manhattan) must go ... up. It has to go up. It's 22.82 mi≤ with a population of 1.665 million?

I live in a city of 464,474, that is 195.1 mi≤. Because we are at the base of Pikes Peak, we keep adopting then rejecting building height limits. Our tallest is 16 stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
& the rats ... but after 37 years, theyíve just become my friends
I've never seen a rat! Supposedly just one neighborhood here has had them because they have wells. We have tons of deer. Urban deer that seem to have little interest in the Rocky Mountains that start within our city limits. They are comfortable here, in town. I lived in a building at an apartment complex that had a bear who could open the doors & would walk down the hallways at dinnertime, sniffing at everybody's door. But no rats!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Wonderful! I hope you and Luke have a great time! Good luck, I know this is a big undertaking for you!
Yeah, this is a pretty big deal; gotta keep Luke safe while I try to take it all in. I made a personal rule about 12 years ago to stay in the community, with Luke, every day. Every day we go out & about & honestly I see only one other kid (well he's in his 20s), whose level of impairment is similar to Luke's & his mom consistently.

I know why parents don't do this; it's exhausting & often times embarrassing but I think (hope) that it does him some good. He's the most social autistic kid you'll ever meet. It's odd but he loves urban areas & looks them up all the time. He reads nametags & always uses a person's name when interacting with them. Everybody around here knows him; from clerks to salespeople, even the staff at the DMV.

I'm nervous but there is no way I would pass up this opportunity!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I've never seen a rat!
You really haven't been missing much. It's true, New York does have rats. But it's not like they fill the streets from one end to the other. The only time I've ever seen rats in New York is seeing them scurry around the tracks in the subway stations. It's possible that you might see one or two elsewhere, like near a trash bin on the sidewalk; but unless your itinerary includes the city's poorer districts, it's not all that likely.

Quote:
I lived in a building at an apartment complex that had a bear who could open the doors & would walk down the hallways at dinnertime, sniffing at everybody's door.
OK, that would legitimately terrify me! But then again, I live in a place where a bear sighting is so rare that when it does happen, it makes the papers.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
That's going to be me ... I get dizzy looking up in downtown Denver. What I can't conceive of, is how much of NYC (especially Manhattan) must go ... up. It has to go up. It's 22.82 mi≤ with a population of 1.665 million?

I live in a city of 464,474, that is 195.1 mi≤. Because we are at the base of Pikes Peak, we keep adopting then rejecting building height limits. Our tallest is 16 stories.
You're right about Manhattan. This is especially true in Midtown, which is generally speaking the area bounded by 34th Street (where the Empire State Building is) to the south and 59th Street (the southern edge of Central Park) to the north. But really, the entire island is quite densely populated. It has to be, since it's an island, and thus its boundaries are rigidly set. The only way to grow is up.

Your hometown, in contrast, has more or less empty land all the way east to Salina, Kansas to expand into. So there's little likelihood of your city ever becoming truly "built out." The pseudo-density of the Front Range is pretty much an artificial construct; you still can expand north and south, and certainly to the east. (Yeah, I know, there's water issues and all that; but I'm just talking about it from a land-availability perspective.)

Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 AM

56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
You're right about Manhattan. This is especially true in Midtown, which is generally speaking the area bounded by 34th Street (where the Empire State Building is) to the south and 59th Street (the southern edge of Central Park) to the north. But really, the entire island is quite densely populated. It has to be, since it's an island, and thus its boundaries are rigidly set. The only way to grow is up.

Your hometown, in contrast, has more or less empty land all the way east to Salina, Kansas to expand into. So there's little likelihood of your city ever becoming truly "built out." The pseudo-density of the Front Range is pretty much an artificial construct; you still can expand north and south, and certainly to the east. (Yeah, I know, there's water issues and all that; but I'm just talking about it from a land-availability perspective.)
It also grows down. There's a lot going on beneath the streets, as well. I think there's a PBS special out there about everything beneath the surface of NYC.

I don't think a lot of people even realize that there were, and still are, six stories below the surface of the 16-acre WTC complex.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 1,229,659 times
Quote:
Thank you! It is special & the reason why will probably sound dumb to most people but itís more than just my twins Senior year band trip; although playing at Carnegie will be a once in a life-time experience ...

And itís more than being able to take Luke on one of his dream trips.

Its this Autism thing. Iím failing. Itís just one heartbreak after another. He wants friends, he wants to have fun, he wants to travel ... Egypt, Japan ... but day by day we just fade a little more away.

I should stop there, itís too hard to explain but this really matters! I get to take him somewhere that heís always wanted to go; we wonít sit at home eating ramen & we will ... exist.

Thereís a little more to this story, if I can figure out how to state it I will
It doesn't sound dumb to me. I have an ADHDer. My daughter is thrilled about being able to go.

You have a wonderful time and tell us about it when you get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or