U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 PM

4,815 posts, read 1,213,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yeah, this is a pretty big deal; gotta keep Luke safe while I try to take it all in. I made a personal rule about 12 years ago to stay in the community, with Luke, every day. Every day we go out & about & honestly I see only one other kid (well he's in his 20s), whose level of impairment is similar to Luke's & his mom consistently.

I know why parents don't do this; it's exhausting & often times embarrassing but I think (hope) that it does him some good. He's the most social autistic kid you'll ever meet. It's odd but he loves urban areas & looks them up all the time. He reads nametags & always uses a person's name when interacting with them. Everybody around here knows him; from clerks to salespeople, even the staff at the DMV.

I'm nervous but there is no way I would pass up this opportunity!
YOU are a wonderful and amazing person in case no one has told you lately.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 01:53 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Check out these links perhaps they might help:

https://mommypoppins.com/kids/autism...rograms-in-nyc

https://www.nymetroparents.com/artic...ds-with-Autism

Macy's has a free flower show that week that's nice; also visit the High Line Park on a weekday when it's less crowded, very unusual & nice way to spend a couple of hours, lots of places to walk around/eat by the 14 St end. Don't wait in line for the Empire State Building, if you want a view go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center instead.

Only you will know if the subway is doable - in Manhattan it is all underground (dark outside the windows), very noisy, often crowded... the nearest above ground one is the 7 starting at Queens Plaza, don't know how you would get there though except taxi. And don't be shy about asking locals for help anytime, we are a very friendly bunch despite the stereotype! (Just don't spread out across the sidewalks & walk slowly...grrr)

Old 02-15-2019, 02:09 PM

642 posts, read 174,036 times
Quote:
I am both. Luke is bigger than I, stronger than I, faster than I & likely smarter than I. I'd be stupid to not be scared. This next month I'm going to be doing some serious planning & preparing. Thanks for the tips about the subway; I'm going to have to work out a "plan B" just in case he can't handle that.

Thanks! He's 15; 6'2" & 220 & can put away one & a half large pepperoni pizzas in about 5 minutes. He was diagnosed with "severe" autism at age 3 & his speech might be at the level of a 4-year-old. He loves museums & will love to run in the park. The 9/11 memorial is actually part of the group's itinerary & I'm interested but if it isn't working with him, again; I will have a plan B ready.
Plan B could include a very quiet New York Transit Museum- very peaceful and quiet and safe for Luke to explore
https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/

And early morning walk on High Line Park
https://www.thehighline.org/

Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 PM

4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Quote:
It's 22.82 mi≤ with a population of 1.665 million?

I live in a city of 464,474, that is 195.1 mi≤.
Aha. My guess is that you are on the high function autistic spectrum, too, probably Aspergers. Which means you, to some extent, understand what Luke thinks and, more importantly, wants. If so, lucky for him.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Quote:
That's going to be me ... I get dizzy looking up in downtown Denver. What I can't conceive of, is how much of NYC (especially Manhattan) must go ... up. It has to go up. It's 22.82 mi≤ with a population of 1.665 million?

I live in a city of 464,474, that is 195.1 mi≤. Because we are at the base of Pikes Peak, we keep adopting then rejecting building height limits. Our tallest is 16 stories.
It does go up, but it also gets tighter and closer.

Take a typical American commercial strip. You might have a gas station at the corner, with a strip of landscaping, a bit of parking, wide lanes, another patch if parking by an air compressor for your tires. Next to it you have some more landscaping, a fast food place with a drive through, more parking to each side, in front and behind. Both buildings are set back from the street by 60’ or more. Of course nobody lives in either building.

You never see this in New York. That is enough area for two, maybe three buildings, each set back from the street by no more than 15’ of sidewalk. No space between then, they are built to touch each other. The ground floors of these buildings are commercial, and would likely include a dry cleaner, a bank, a bodega, a drug store, and a Starbucks, in addition to two lobbies. Depending on wherein manhattan, the buildings would rise as much as 40 stories, with perhaps 5-10 apartments of 500-800 sf each per story. Within those 250 apartments per building, you might have 400 people in total lining there, for a total of about 800 people.

Repeat for block after block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You really haven't been missing much. It's true, New York does have rats. But it's not like they fill the streets from one end to the other. The only time I've ever seen rats in New York is seeing them scurry around the tracks in the subway stations. It's possible that you might see one or two elsewhere, like near a trash bin on the sidewalk; but unless your itinerary includes the city's poorer districts, it's not all that likely
I remember seeing groups of rats playing in Union Square a few times, and that is a pretty affluent part of town. It was unusual, but not shockingly so.

OP, if you want to see rats, and if you are in NY, why not, take the subway. Look down the tracks towards your left where the obcom8ng train comes from. You won’t see then every time a train approached the station, but it won’t be surprising either.

Have a great time in NY. I lived there for years, and I miss many things about it. Given true wealth, I would probably move back.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 530,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Check out these links perhaps they might help:

https://mommypoppins.com/kids/autism...rograms-in-nyc

https://www.nymetroparents.com/artic...ds-with-Autism

Macy's has a free flower show that week that's nice; also visit the High Line Park on a weekday when it's less crowded, very unusual & nice way to spend a couple of hours, lots of places to walk around/eat by the 14 St end. Don't wait in line for the Empire State Building, if you want a view go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center instead.

Only you will know if the subway is doable - in Manhattan it is all underground (dark outside the windows), very noisy, often crowded... the nearest above ground one is the 7 starting at Queens Plaza, don't know how you would get there though except taxi. And don't be shy about asking locals for help anytime, we are a very friendly bunch despite the stereotype! (Just don't spread out across the sidewalks & walk slowly...grrr)
Not 100% true! The 1 train has stretches of elevation, a brief one for the 125th street station and everything from Dyckman Street going North

Old 02-16-2019, 03:11 AM

17,228 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
What I can't conceive of, is how much of NYC (especially Manhattan) must go ... up. It has to go up.
New York City has 257 skyscrapers that are taller than 490 feet.

The only city in the world that has more is Hong Kong.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:21 AM

2,384 posts, read 909,421 times
Am an hours drive away, TOPS. And people couldn't pay me enough to go to the city

Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 AM

17,228 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Am an hours drive away, TOPS. And people couldn't pay me enough to go to the city
Even heaven has its detractors, Iím sure.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 AM

10,280 posts, read 4,859,674 times
Quote:
Iím so excited I canít let myself get too excited; as if I might jinx myself somehow!

The last time I went anywhere was in 2014 to Corpus Christi to see the ocean because it had been 13 years since I had gone anywhere before then. That involved 3 kids: 12 year old twin girls & my 10 year old severely autistic son & the dog in a 19 year old Nissan that broke down coming home on Raton Pass (NM) at midnight during an epic thunderstorm & downpour.

Thank you to Leo; the 29 year old guy from Roswell (Chihuahua) who loaded all 5 of us drenched people (& the dog) into his car & drove us home (I ignored his advances for the next two years on FB. I did try to tell him I had a kid his age & another seven in between the oldest & the three in his car but with the language barrier; Iím not sure that he understood. Sorry, Leo but I did do you a favor.)

Anyway, thanks to my dad; Luke & I get to go see his sisters HS band & orchestra play at Carnegie Hall! We will have a few opportunities to break away from the group & do Luke-type stuff. He wants to ride the subway & see Chinatown & eat pizza.

Heís spent years ďinĒ NYC on Google Earth & heís full of ideas! Yikes.

I am admittedly in some denial regarding the thought of Luke on an airplane. Yikes. But anyway, Iím so excited; Luke & I never get to do anything.

Well; we will now. Leaving March 23 for NYC!
That's wonderful - NYC is an exciting city! It shouldn't be too cold but living in Colorado you're probably used to the cold. If you can try to go to the Metropolitan Opera. I saw LaBoheme there in 2007 and the acoustics in there are not to be believed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or