U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Just a few blocks up from Carnegie Hall is Central Park - it's vast & free & especially on weekends there are all sorts of people wandering around ( Last week of March weather can go to extremes either way - snowstorms or early spring or anywhere in between, check before you leave what to expect.)

Unclear how old your son is but there is a "hands on" type Children's Museum or the Natural History Museum if weather is bad. There are now also ferries for not much $$ along the East River that I usually take visitors on to go way downtown scenically & one can get on the Staten Island Ferry for free & ride past Miss Liberty. Downtown has Chinatown where food is inexpensive too, 9/11 memorial is about 15 minute walk from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Not 100% true! The 1 train has stretches of elevation, a brief one for the 125th street station and everything from Dyckman Street going North
For a good elevated subway train ride, I would suggest taking the number 7 (from the Times Square station which is a short walk from Carnegie Hall) to the Hall of Science Museum in Queens. This museum is good for children of all age groups including teenagers and from the 7 train one gets glimpses of Manhattan as well as Queens which is the most ethnically diverse area of NYC. Also the Hall of Science Museum is on the outskirts of the Corona-Flushing Meadows Park which has other attractions in it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 07:39 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Am an hours drive away, TOPS. And people couldn't pay me enough to go to the city
You're not alone. I grew up 30 miles from the city, but only ever went there on school trips. Then when I was 20, I got a job there and worked in the city for the next forty years except for some time in Jersey City after the two terrorist attacks.

But my bro still lives in that same town and never goes to the city. My grandparents lived there all their lives, and I don't think they ever once went to New York. My parents went to a couple of plays when someone gave them tickets, but that was it.

I first went to the Statue of Liberty when I was 31, even though I could see it out the window of my office, because someone visiting from Wisconsin wanted to see it.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 AM

4,928 posts, read 2,274,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
YOU are a wonderful and amazing person in case no one has told you lately.
This is the first post I saw this morning ... Thank you for this; you have no idea how much I needed it.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,920,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Its this Autism thing. I’m failing. It’s just one heartbreak after another. He wants friends, he wants to have fun, he wants to travel ... Egypt, Japan ... but day by day we just fade a little more away.

I should stop there, it’s too hard to explain but this really matters! I get to take him somewhere that he’s always wanted to go; we won’t sit at home eating ramen & we will ... exist.

There’s a little more to this story, if I can figure out how to state it I will
This part kind of struck a cord in me, a dagger in my heart. You don't have to explain anything--I get the part when you write, "if I can figure out how to state it..."
I have a son that has had challenges in life. It is too difficult to "explain" him to others, I sort of dread when I have to because I don't ever think they really get it.

Enjoy your NYC trip. Exist and have fun--no ramen noodles on the trip! Unless of course if he wants them!!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Check out these links perhaps they might help:

https://mommypoppins.com/kids/autism...rograms-in-nyc

https://www.nymetroparents.com/artic...ds-with-Autism

Macy's has a free flower show that week that's nice; also visit the High Line Park on a weekday when it's less crowded, very unusual & nice way to spend a couple of hours, lots of places to walk around/eat by the 14 St end. Don't wait in line for the Empire State Building, if you want a view go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center instead.

Only you will know if the subway is doable - in Manhattan it is all underground (dark outside the windows), very noisy, often crowded... the nearest above ground one is the 7 starting at Queens Plaza, don't know how you would get there though except taxi. And don't be shy about asking locals for help anytime, we are a very friendly bunch despite the stereotype! (Just don't spread out across the sidewalks & walk slowly...grrr)
Wow; I think the Top of the Rock place is actually on the group's itinerary ... is it all stairs? Luke is great at walking upstairs but coming back down sometimes triggers a depth perception/sensory confusion & if that happens he will just sit down right there & continue the rest of the way on his butt!

It doesn't bother me any but it can take a while & once we got separated from his class during a field trip to the Pioneers Museum & he missed out on the class "ride" on the old Otis elevator. When we finally got to the lobby the school group was not even in the building anymore & he just sat & cried, until this older man walked up & asked what was wrong.

Turns out he was a local retired Judge & a director on the museum's board he took us on a private elevator ride & a quick tour through the museum's catacomb style basement! There was a hidden doorway that opened up to the museum grounds & when he walked us out, the entire school group was standing right there & waiting with the buses because we had gone MIA ... The kids' eyes got huge; "Whoa! Luke got to see the basement?!" It was too cute!

Last edited by coschristi; 02-16-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
This native NYCer loves your enthusiasm! I hope you have fun.
Thank you! I am enthusiastic ... ecstatic, actually! I'm in awe of the history; of the stories of those early immigrants & how they built entire neighborhoods & communities & lives!

I was born in a huge city; Tokyo... & I do remember some but I've lived in Colorado Springs since I was 4 years old. I grew up in the house my parents bought in 1972 (before it was even built), in a subdivision developed during our "boom town" years (In 1950 the pop = 45,472, between 1960-1970 it nearly doubled; from 70,194 to 135,517 & by 1980 the pop = 215,105).

I think I was in the second class of kindergartners to start at the new elementary school & the first new neighbor to stop by & say "Welcome!" actually rode up on a horse ...

I used to wonder what it was like to grow up in a tall apartment building & I wondered where all the grocery stores were built (I still kind of wonder about that).

Old 02-16-2019, 10:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Am an hours drive away, TOPS. And people couldn't pay me enough to go to the city
What a great contribution to this joyful thread from the OP. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:39 AM

8,931 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:

I used to wonder what it was like to grow up in a tall apartment building & I wondered where all the grocery stores were built (I still kind of wonder about that).
There are very few grocery stores of the type you are probably thinking of in Manhattan. Most New Yorkers shop at smaller markets, greengrocers, bodegas and the like. Whatever the grocery you are thinking of, they are on the ground floor, or sometimes basement level, of apartment buildings.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:47 AM

4,803 posts, read 1,210,739 times
Quote:
This is the first post I saw this morning ... Thank you for this; you have no idea how much I needed it.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:43 PM

1,819 posts, read 530,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
This part kind of struck a cord in me, a dagger in my heart. You don't have to explain anything--I get the part when you write, "if I can figure out how to state it..."
I have a son that has had challenges in life. It is too difficult to "explain" him to others, I sort of dread when I have to because I don't ever think they really get it.

Enjoy your NYC trip. Exist and have fun--no ramen noodles on the trip! Unless of course if he wants them!!
Real Japanese ramen is actually very popular in NYC and worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or