U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:41 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is interesting to hear the perspectives of people who have never been there.

I used to post on another forum, when one of the other posters and his wife, who live in Ohio, came to New York City for the first time, I found what astonished him amusing. He said, "There are people EVERYWHERE, I mean, EVERYWHERE."

Um, yeah, and? It's New York City! LOL, it was funny to me that he apparently didn't expect that.
Yeah and like you said earlier in the thread, people who live here often haven't even seen the most iconic tourist attractions. The Statute of Liberty is like 15 miles from me, if that, has been my whole life, and I've never been. Never been inside the ESB, to the Top of the Rock, or top of 1 WTC (nor to the Twin Towers before they fell). Ellis Island, nope. Never walked the Brooklyn Bridge.

I really should go to some of these attractions, lol. It would be fun.

I would suggest for OP to try to get to some less touristy areas, away from those attractions, if she can/has time. I love lower Manhattan, Battery Park City is such a nice area. There are some nice marinas and walkways on the waterfront. The Upper East and West Sides are nice to stroll through because the brownstones are so pretty, very photogenic area. The free Staten Island Ferry which you can take from South Ferry/Whitehall Terminal, not a long walk from the WTC, gets you nice free views of the Statute of Liberty and a really nice view of the skyline of lower Manhattan on the way to SI and back. You can get off on SI and wait for the next to return to Manhattan (again, all free ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 12:00 PM

56,144 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah and like you said earlier in the thread, people who live here often haven't even seen the most iconic tourist attractions. The Statute of Liberty is like 15 miles from me, if that, has been my whole life, and I've never been. Never been inside the ESB, to the Top of the Rock, or top of 1 WTC (nor to the Twin Towers before they fell). Ellis Island, nope. Never walked the Brooklyn Bridge.

I really should go to some of these attractions, lol. It would be fun.

I would suggest for OP to try to get to some less touristy areas, away from those attractions, if she can/has time. I love lower Manhattan, Battery Park City is such a nice area. There are some nice marinas and walkways on the waterfront. The Upper East and West Sides are nice to stroll through because the brownstones are so pretty, very photogenic area. The free Staten Island Ferry which you can take from South Ferry/Whitehall Terminal, not a long walk from the WTC, gets you nice free views of the Statute of Liberty and a really nice view of the skyline of lower Manhattan on the way to SI and back. You can get off on SI and wait for the next to return to Manhattan (again, all free ).
I worked in the old One WTC for twenty years till the day it went down, but I didn't go up to the ob deck until I was there for 18 years. My sister came in and brought my daughter and my nieces, and we all went up. Glad I did. Haven't been to the top of the new One WTC yet. Some of us were in a snit that they didn't give a free ticket or at least a discount to those of us who were survivors of the attacks and people who worked on the new WTC complex.

But LAST YEAR, at the age of 59, I went into the ESB for the first time ever because I had a meeting with a company located there. I think I was up in the 50s. I was back two weeks ago for a business event at the State Grill & Bar, on the first floor of the ESB. Actually, it was in a room one flight down. Most normal people go to the top, lol.

I really want to do the double-decker hop-on hop-off bus sometime.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked in the old One WTC for twenty years till the day it went down, but I didn't go up to the ob deck until I was there for 18 years. My sister came in and brought my daughter and my nieces, and we all went up. Glad I did. Haven't been to the top of the new One WTC yet. Some of us were in a snit that they didn't give a free ticket or at least a discount to those of us who were survivors of the attacks and people who worked on the new WTC complex.

But LAST YEAR, at the age of 59, I went into the ESB for the first time ever because I had a meeting with a company located there. I think I was up in the 50s. I was back two weeks ago for a business event at the State Grill & Bar, on the first floor of the ESB. Actually, it was in a room one flight down. Most normal people go to the top, lol.

I really want to do the double-decker hop-on hop-off bus sometime.
You should all have lifelong access to the Museum and other attractions at that site for free.

My mom only made it to the top of the old 1 WTC in her 20s, one time - with a foreign tourist (who was staying with family) who wanted to go, so she accompanied her.

I will do the touristy things... eventually.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,290,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Aha. My guess is that you are on the high function autistic spectrum, too, probably Aspergers. Which means you, to some extent, understand what Luke thinks and, more importantly, wants. If so, lucky for him.
Wow; your good ... How did you know that based on that particular post?

With ďAutismĒ as a condition not yet on the radar of either the healthcare or education professionals in the mid-1970s; I was initially identified as ďRetardedĒ during the 2nd grade. At my momís insistence, I was re-evaluated with a different standardized test & the label was removed based solely on my Hyperlexic abilities.

Hyperlexia, which is almost 100% associated with ASD; wasnít known/considered as a Savant capability until 1993 but three years later the school determined that I had Absolute Pitch. That was noted as a curiosity but nobody connected those dots until I was way past school age.

Itís weird, though because sometimes it helps. Sometimes not. I was literally the last person to notice Lukeís verbal regression because I didnít totally lose the ability to communicate with him.

Sometimes I worry that I both over-anticipate & then over-mitigate potential behavior triggers. Other than that; I hope Iím an asset. Like most 15 year old boys, he appears to be fairly unimpressed by his mother but thatís okay with me; thatís one developmental milestone heís hit right on track!

Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,290,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
That's wonderful - NYC is an exciting city! It shouldn't be too cold but living in Colorado you're probably used to the cold. If you can try to go to the Metropolitan Opera. I saw LaBoheme there in 2007 and the acoustics in there are not to be believed.
I hate the cold but yeah; Iím pretty used to it. The only time Iíve been outside of the state over the last 30 years has been over the summer, so Iím curious about something ...

Whenever somebody from the East comes to Colorado; they say ďWell; at least this is dry heat/cold ...Ē What exactly does that mean? Is there anything I can bring that would help with that in New York?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,342,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
To be frank, New York sucks. But I'm glad I made it a point to spend a few days there a couple times just to feel what it is like to be there. So many films ant TV shows and novels involve characters who have spent their whole life in New York, you have to walk in their shoes in order to relate to America's literary pulse. Los Angeles, too.

After you "do" New York, the media will forever be more comprehensible to you.
NY sucks? Then you go on to basically explain that it is the literary and artistic capital of the country.
What doesn't suck, in your opinion? The Philippines? Is that why so many Philippinos live in NYC as domestics or nurses?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I hate the cold but yeah; I’m pretty used to it. The only time I’ve been outside of the state over the last 30 years has been over the summer, so I’m curious about something ...

Whenever somebody from the East comes to Colorado; they say “Well; at least this is dry heat/cold ...” What exactly does that mean? Is there anything I can bring that would help with that in New York?
Sometimes we have "raw" cold which is like a moist cold. Happens a lot when it rains or before it rains in the colder months. Idk if it's a humidity thing in the cold, but maybe. A dry cold, though this isn't something I usually would say, I guess it's a cold that lacks that feeling. A "dry heat" refers to a humidity-less heat, that won't be a problem in March. You might experience the raw cold, but no humid heat. Humidity feels like pressure on your whole body when you step outside, a moist hot. Hard to explain, you'd know it if you felt it. Pressure isn't the best word, like I said it's hard to explain. More like you're encompassed in moist warm/hot air, sometimes it feels like it can be hard to breathe if it's high enough.

I don't think there's really anything you can bring, just prepare for cold and possibly rain. Comfy shoes for walking around a lot, waterproof ones. Umbrellas, rain coats. End of March, right? If so, probably no snow but sometimes we get it that late. We've had it in April before. Might get unseasonably warm but you won't need warm weather clothes.

edit: Not related to this post but just realized in one of my last posts, I kept writing "Statute" of Liberty instead of Statue... this is what happens when you work in law and are used to writing statute all the time. Oops.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 02-17-2019 at 07:39 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM

4,440 posts, read 1,683,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
NY sucks? Then you go on to basically explain that it is the literary and artistic capital of the country.
What doesn't suck, in your opinion? The Philippines? Is that why so many Philippinos live in NYC as domestics or nurses?

Are you saying it is impossible for literature and art to emanate from a place that has little intrinsic worth?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Avoiding the characters in Times Square is VERY good advice, especially if your son is very friendly and trusting. Also, do not let anyone put a CD in your/his hands (they will loudly harass you for money/accuse you of theft). You'll also have people left and right trying to give you leaflets for things but they are usually harmless.

I'd avoid Times Square altogether--it's kind of a nightmare--but I know it's on some first-timers bucket list. Does your son have any sensory issues with crowds/noise?
Times Square is hell on earth

Old 02-17-2019, 07:33 PM

4,440 posts, read 1,683,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Wow; your good ... How did you know that based on that particular post?
I guess we just know how to recognize each other in a crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or