U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:55 PM

1,510 posts, read 965,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

I'd avoid Times Square altogether--it's kind of a nightmare--but I know it's on some first-timers bucket list. Does your son have any sensory issues with crowds/noise?
I'd advise this for anyone, but especially if someone has sensory concerns.

Great city, enjoy the trip.

The Staten Island ferry still has a lower deck for car transport though they no longer ferry cars from Manhattan to Staten Island (or back). You can walk down there from the main deck - it will just be you and a few others who know about it, mostly employees and people with bikes. Nice, uncrowded view of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from the ferry if the weather is clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 01:19 PM

4,941 posts, read 2,281,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're not alone. I grew up 30 miles from the city, but only ever went there on school trips. Then when I was 20, I got a job there and worked in the city for the next forty years except for some time in Jersey City after the two terrorist attacks.

But my bro still lives in that same town and never goes to the city. My grandparents lived there all their lives, and I don't think they ever once went to New York. My parents went to a couple of plays when someone gave them tickets, but that was it.

I first went to the Statue of Liberty when I was 31, even though I could see it out the window of my office, because someone visiting from Wisconsin wanted to see it.
That’s interesting. The only time I’ve bothered to go to the top of Pikes Peak (in 46 years) was when my aunt (from New York) came to visit. Locals are “in” the mountain; we hike Barr Trail, rock climb in the canyons & just generally go running amok in our favorite spots but the only people at the top probably just work there.

And I don’t ski. Never even tried!

Old 02-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yes! My husband and I go there every time we visit NYC. Very reasonably priced too.

Christi,

Have a great trip! Avoid the costumed characters in Times Square. They will act super friendly for photo ops and then they will harass you for cash. They can be quite aggressive.

So excited for you and your family. There is so much to do and so much to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Avoiding the characters in Times Square is VERY good advice, especially if your son is very friendly and trusting. Also, do not let anyone put a CD in your/his hands (they will loudly harass you for money/accuse you of theft). You'll also have people left and right trying to give you leaflets for things but they are usually harmless.

I'd avoid Times Square altogether--it's kind of a nightmare--but I know it's on some first-timers bucket list. Does your son have any sensory issues with crowds/noise?
Oh my gosh ... I think our hotel is very close to Times Square. The Paramount?

That’s okay, though, I’m not actually uncomfortable with that element. Now Luke; is really interesting because he has zero concept of “personal space” & that has been an asset in crowds. But put him in an empty room with just one person who is whistling & I’ll have my hands full.

He’s handled crowded bleachers during sporting events just fine until a starting gun goes off or a bullhorn honks but he’s learned how to watch scoreboards now to anticipate some of the more startling noises & he will cover his ears in anticipation.

He’s got noise-cancelling headphones but I’m reluctant to rely on those because then he can’t hear me! The most volatile issue with “Luke in a crowd” is not actually the crowd ... it’s Luke. Most of the time, his movements & mannerisms are a dead giveaway that he is disabled but at first glance he does not look like a disabled 15 year old.

If anyone who lives in NYC happens to see a mom trying to hold on to a what looks like an NFL Linebacker who is making a beeline through a crowd, while yelling “Watch out for people!” ... Well; that will be me.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:37 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Times Square is the heartbeat of Manhattan, always filled with tourists and visitors.

It is literally the place that never sleeps.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:00 PM

999 posts, read 348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh my gosh ... I think our hotel is very close to Times Square. The Paramount?

That’s okay, though, I’m not actually uncomfortable with that element. Now Luke; is really interesting because he has zero concept of “personal space” & that has been an asset in crowds. But put him in an empty room with just one person who is whistling & I’ll have my hands full.

He’s handled crowded bleachers during sporting events just fine until a starting gun goes off or a bullhorn honks but he’s learned how to watch scoreboards now to anticipate some of the more startling noises & he will cover his ears in anticipation.

He’s got noise-cancelling headphones but I’m reluctant to rely on those because then he can’t hear me! The most volatile issue with “Luke in a crowd” is not actually the crowd ... it’s Luke. Most of the time, his movements & mannerisms are a dead giveaway that he is disabled but at first glance he does not look like a disabled 15 year old.

If anyone who lives in NYC happens to see a mom trying to hold on to a what looks like an NFL Linebacker who is making a beeline through a crowd, while yelling “Watch out for people!” ... Well; that will be me.
You are in a great location for exploring New York City; especially if you enjoy walking a lot. Time Square has a lot of energy and I think you will enjoy it very much.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
That’s interesting. The only time I’ve bothered to go to the top of Pikes Peak (in 46 years) was when my aunt (from New York) came to visit. Locals are “in” the mountain; we hike Barr Trail, rock climb in the canyons & just generally go running amok in our favorite spots but the only people at the top probably just work there.

And I don’t ski. Never even tried!
I went to Colorado Springs in 1978 to visit a friend who was stationed at Fort Carson. I don't remember if I went to the top of Pikes Peak, but I do remember it was September and clouds passed over the peak and when they left there was snow on top and I was amazed.

AND I went horseback riding in the Garden of the Gods.

I've never skied, either. Lots of people from NJ do, either in our higher-altitude northwest corner, the Poconos of PA, upstate NY, or Vermont.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 PM

I’m just so excited. We get to go to NYC!

Last night Luke was pacing around announcing “Newww YORK!!” like a game show host & this morning we were looking at webcams in Manhattan before he went to school.

And then this evening he was completely unraveled & I was thinking “Good God, we’ll never even make it onto the plane ...”

I got a printout of the itinerary today at a parents meeting & I’m amazed at how close it is to so many of the recommendations I’ve had here on this thread! There is:

- One World Observatory self-guided tour
- 9/11 Museum & Memorial
- Staten Island Ferry from Whitehall
- Subway to Central Park
- Something called the “Behind the Magic” Tour? I have no idea what that is ...
- Concert at Carnegie
- Reception dinner at Planet Hollywood
- Phantom of the Opera

There will be “free” time to explore & of course, I’m not obligated to attend anything because I’m not a band chaperone so I will opt-out/opt-in as needed, depending on Luke. Luke’s Kindergarten teacher & 4th & 5th grade teachers were there because they have kids in band with my daughters ... I told them that I was taking Luke on the trip & asked “Am I crazy or what?” & they both said “Yup, your crazy” ( but with a smile). So, yeah. I’m freaking out just a little!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 AM

2,474 posts, read 904,742 times
One thing you can do that almost no tourist ever does, is see Alexander Hamilton's grave site at the Trinity Church on Rector St off Broadway. The church caught my eye so I went to check it out and was very surprised to discover it.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
I’m just so excited. We get to go to NYC!

Last night Luke was pacing around announcing “Newww YORK!!” like a game show host & this morning we were looking at webcams in Manhattan before he went to school.

And then this evening he was completely unraveled & I was thinking “Good God, we’ll never even make it onto the plane ...”

I got a printout of the itinerary today at a parents meeting & I’m amazed at how close it is to so many of the recommendations I’ve had here on this thread! There is:

- One World Observatory self-guided tour
- 9/11 Museum & Memorial
- Subway to Central Park
- Something called the “Behind the Magic” Tour? I have no idea what that is ...
- Concert at Carnegie
- Reception dinner at Planet Hollywood
- Phantom of the Opera

There will be “free” time to explore & of course, I’m not obligated to attend anything because I’m not a band chaperone so I will opt-out/opt-in as needed, depending on Luke. Luke’s Kindergarten teacher & 4th & 5th grade teachers were there because they have kids in band with my daughters ... I told them that I was taking Luke on the trip & asked “Am I crazy or what?” & they both said “Yup, your crazy” ( but with a smile). So, yeah. I’m freaking out just a little!
IMO, there are much better places to go that is a not a chain found all the over the world.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,645,631 times
Quote:
The Staten Island Ferry is a great ride. It's free (yay!) and it gives you a fantastic view of lower Manhattan and New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty. Stand on the back of the boat when leaving Manhattan to enjoy the view of the city as it slowly recedes. Then go to the left side and see Governor's Island and Brooklyn. Then cross over to the right side to see Lady Liberty. Reverse this for the return ride back to Manhattan. The trip takes 25 minutes in each direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or