U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 11:18 AM

5,703 posts, read 8,609,914 times

Advertisements

I usually have a few extra days off between Dec 20 or so through the New Year. Our workplace is closed Christmas Eve and also NY Eve. It's also a pretty slow time with a lot of people off so a great time to take a larger block of time off.

The issue? Well, the absolutely insane price of tickets to go anywhere. So, this year I stayed home...but for 2019 after a crazy amount of searching and messing around with dates etc. I found a fare for $720 for an itinerary that I wanted to do with acceptable dates. The thing is I priced this off peak (late Nov.) and the fare on the same carriers was only $420 so exactly $300 less but at this price point it represents a 100% markup over other periods. I can't make up my mind if I should do it anyways or not.

Note - I still am making some compromises on dates, if I wanted my ideal dates the cheapest fare comes up as $1200+ This is from LAX to Guatemala city and back from Belize City to LAX. These are not long segments, just 4-6 hrs each.

So, I understand people pay $$$$ premium to travel over the holidays to see family etc. I get that...but what about just regular travel trips? Would you pay a significant premium to travel over the holidays? And have you done it in the past?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,979,763 times
It depends on how badly you (or I since you asked me) want to go on the trip. Historically I have been an extremely flexible traveler and so I almost always just picked whatever was the cheapest...but in more recent years, with two young kids and my wife taking a job with a fixed schedule (teaching), we have been less flexible and traveling a little less as well. We are doing a big trip during spring break and while we found a good deal based on the week of travel, it is not a great deal if we were planning flexible travel like we are accustomed to. Ultimately we decided it was worth it, but then again we are having second thoughts lol.

Hopefully in June we are back to our usual ways as my wife is probably not going to be teaching on a regular basis anymore. They are trying to convince her otherwise so we will see, but I am hoping not haha.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So, I understand people pay $$$$ premium to travel over the holidays to see family etc. I get that...but what about just regular travel trips? Would you pay a significant premium to travel over the holidays? And have you done it in the past?

If you want to travel over the holidays, the busiest time of the year, expect to pay considerably more for it.

If I am going to take a trip over the holidays and want to do it cheaply, I will fly to my destination prior to December 15th and stay until the 1st week in January.

If you are taking a city trip, you can save considerably over the holidays as many of the "business hotels" are discounting significantly.

Personally, I used to volunteer to work throughout the holidays and take my time off during the first two weeks of December or the first three weeks in January when the costs are less.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM

5,683 posts, read 3,655,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Supply and demand. That's all it is. Enough people have time off during the Christmas-New Year's time period, and want to visit their families in distant cities or countries, that the airlines know that they can fill their planes even when they raise their rates. Conversely, far fewer people travel in mid-December or mid-January (not counting the Martin Luther King weekend), so the airlines lower their rates in hopes of attracting some more business.

If you want to make "regular" travel trips, and find the lowest prices while doing so, you have to travel when most other people aren't. If you can't or won't travel at non-holiday times, then you have to resign yourself to paying holiday prices or else don't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or