U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 03:22 PM

1,176 posts, read 478,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Filthy. Rats. Mafias. Not a nice place.
No dirtier or rat infested than any other city to my experience. And unless youíre planning to engage in heavy duty illicit activity, I canít imagine the Mafia will be of any concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:44 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The catch is, when is spring in NYC?

Went there mid-March back in 2015, it was ridiculously cold. The worst part was I couldn't get home on time because flights were canceled off due to adverse weather conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, obviously one can't always predict weather. This winter there has hardly been any snow, but March is still winter, and the possibility exists that there could be snow still coming.

Not sure what constitutes "ridiculously cold" lol. It's NYC, so you certainly couldn't have expected balmy weather and budding flowers in March!
IIRC, 2015 was one of our pretty bad winters in recent years. We had many very snowy, cold winters in a row, that was one of them. Spring only begins at the end of March and lasts until the end of June, technically, so there is plenty of time for true spring weather here beyond March. Mid to late April and much of May imo is usually the best spring weather. Like MQ says, though, it can be unpredictable.

So mid-March, unless it was after the 21st-ish, was technically still winter, and even if it was after the official first day of spring, the weather won't change for the season to mild and balmy in a day just because it's technically spring. That may have actually been the year we had snow on the first day of spring, had at least a few inches - it could have been the next year, though, I can't remember for sure.

My favorite part of spring is when the leaves start to return to the trees. That happens anytime from mid-April to early to mid-May, depending on how the weather has been, how much rain we've had.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Ever been there?

FYI: Total crime per 100,000 residents -

New York, NY: 1871

San Angelo, TX: 4690
Lol. As soon as I read that post, I thought, "oh, this person has never been to NYC ".

Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM

2,165 posts, read 1,228,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You must be young, then. I am comparing to the 80s. You NEVER saw a Ruby Tuesday or Olive Garden-type place in the city. (Actually, I don't think either of these chains existed before then, lol.) But the point is that these places from the suburbs crept into the city and took hold, and many people, myself included, felt that it took away some of what NYC always was.

What you say above just makes my point for me. It's sad. With real Italian restaurants with good food in the city, why on earth would someone go to an Olive Garden? I'm thinking the attraction might be that families are more comfortable with something familiar, but then why bother coming to New York City at all? It doesn't make sense.
Well, I for one do not miss NYC at the beginning of 90th. It was just dangerous, dilapidated, decaying mess. There were multiple murders on the streets every day, robberies were common place. 14 street was literally a big market of junk. Subway had graffiti, beggars and was even less reliable than it is now.

I don't like the chains either but it is a small price to pay for having safe streets and other amenities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or