U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 561,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Someone said Manhattan had become homogenized and chain restaurants are one reason. They're not the only reason. There didn't used to be a Duane Reade on every corner; there were independent pharmacies and few chains. There wasn't a bank on every block, either. If you walked Manhattan north to south or etc. now, you could count the number of the same places you passed and it didn't used to be that way. I include empty storefronts as part of the list of the same things you see on every block now. Duane Reade, CVS, RiteAid, Burger King, McDonald's, empty storefronts by the dozen, and every bank over and over again, along with a host of corporate restaurants and 7-11s.

The reason you don't agree is that you have no idea what the city was before. And it doesn't matter if you're a fan of chains or not, what's happening in N. Brooklyn is not the city as a whole. There's always been some hip and trendy enclave. It doesn't mean the city hasn't overall homogenized, corporatized, and Disney-fied to a sad extent.

You need bodegas because 7-11 doesn't have cats or know your name. It's the humanity in certain kinds of places that makes you feel at home.
Most of the city's population does not live in Midtown Manhattan. And 7-11s have not replaced bodegas at all in most of the city. Even super gentrified areas like Greenwich Village and East Village still have plenty of bodegas (though with higher prices to make up for the very high rents).

Duane Reades aren't really competing with bodegas. Duane Reade and CVS are for pharmacy purchases, bulk purchases, wider array of of household supplies, etc., while bodegas are more for a quick snack, drink, smoking paraphenelia, sandwich, etc.

Most New Yorkers don't really care about Midtown Manhattan, the areas where most people live and spend time are not disneyfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,599,667 times
Not sure why you started a thread asking visitors about their observations & then argue against what those observations are most of the time.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Not sure why you started a thread asking visitors about their observations & then argue against what those observations are most of the time.
I'm pretty sure those comments are from suburbanites and ex-New Yorkers, not visitors. All of the other comments I did not argue at all.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 PM

7,002 posts, read 3,893,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I went a very long time ago but I recall that it was really difficult to find a public bathroom, or someplace that would "allow" you to use their bathroom. Ultimately, I did find a hotel that was kind enough to do so, but I can understand why people pee and poop on the sidewalk.
That may work in Branson but I don't know a single New Yorker who understands why people pee and poop on the sidewalk. Maybe all those "people" should be shipped to places where it's acceptable, like Missouri.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You're asking where something isn't?
Yes. I'm asking where there's no Italian food.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Calling a pizzeria an "Italian restaurant" is a stretch, even if they sell more than just pizza. Especially that many of these places are no longer run by Italians, thus are low quality.

And it is large swaths, not small pockets. I could have provided many more examples
You didn't ask for Italian restaurants, you asked for Italian food.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:21 AM

2,474 posts, read 909,220 times
I actually enjoyed the people. Few New Yorkers are outgoingly friendly, and they don't sugarcoat, but I found them to be quite responsive and cordial if approached first. I encountered a couple of surly bus drivers, and I tore a strip into one of them. However, we have those types where I live, too.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 4,865,345 times
WHen it's hot and humid in NYC, the streets smell like a sewer. I almost gagged from the smell of urine and sh*t. I guess it's from all the people walking their dogs?? At least I hope that's the reason.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
WHen it's hot and humid in NYC, the streets smell like a sewer. I almost gagged from the smell of urine and sh*t. I guess it's from all the people walking their dogs?? At least I hope that's the reason.
Just wait until you go to Europe

Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 AM

9,536 posts, read 13,484,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Honestly, most New Yorkers would be more than happy to assist her. Some guy working, making 8 dollars an hour unloading a truck is probably more likely to be grumpy than the average resident
This. New Yorkers are some of the nicest people I have ever encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or