Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 PM

251 posts, read 148,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Black neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods. Pretty much any neighborhood that's neither a recent Italian neighborhood or food destination neighborhood.

With some exceptions of course
That’s nowhere near accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey yeah, didn't he ever see "Do The Right Thing"? The story centers around an Italian-owned pizza place in a black neighborhood.
That movie came out 30 years ago! The world is a much different place now. There are still pizzerias in black neighborhoods but most of them are run by Hispanics now, and it's a stretch to call a pizzeria an "Italian restaurant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
That’s nowhere near accurate.
How is not accurate? There are clearly more Italian restaurants in white neighborhoods (either neighborhoods that are still Italian or neighborhoods known for having a lot of restaursnts). Corona for instance used to be an Italian neighborhood and there are barely any Italian restaurants in 2019, times have changed and it's mostly Hispanic stuff there now.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Av...!4d-73.9370391

https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...7!4d-73.900709

That was super easy. There are no Italians restaurants within a 10 minute walk of either place. You're really shifting the goalpost by including pizzerias too, because pizzerias can be found everywhere in the country (often not of great quality).
Well, I won't insist on the Domino's or Little Caesars, which fit the walking requirements but a real pizzeria usually has more than just pizza. If I change to a five minute Uber ride you can find a lot.

And you did say that "much of New York" has no Italian food. That can only be true if "small pockets" is the same as "much."

Old 02-19-2019, 04:32 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
I love how vibrant NYC is and I'm a Southerner. I can only handle it for a week at a time, but when I do I love the experience.

As for the chain restaurants, good, let all the folks go there and save room in the really good places.

EDIT: One caveat. Chinese food. Yes, there is really great Chinese food in NYC, but it's often the real deal and a unique experience for those of us used to Americanized Chinese food.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I went a very long time ago but I recall that it was really difficult to find a public bathroom, or someplace that would "allow" you to use their bathroom. Ultimately, I did find a hotel that was kind enough to do so, but I can understand why people pee and poop on the sidewalk.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Well, I won't insist on the Domino's or Little Caesars, which fit the walking requirements but a real pizzeria usually has more than just pizza. If I change to a five minute Uber ride you can find a lot.

And you did say that "much of New York" has no Italian food. That can only be true if "small pockets" is the same as "much."
Calling a pizzeria an "Italian restaurant" is a stretch, even if they sell more than just pizza. Especially that many of these places are no longer run by Italians, thus are low quality.

And it is large swaths, not small pockets. I could have provided many more examples

Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I went a very long time ago but I recall that it was really difficult to find a public bathroom, or someplace that would "allow" you to use their bathroom. Ultimately, I did find a hotel that was kind enough to do so, but I can understand why people pee and poop on the sidewalk.
I go to bars when I have that problem

Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
We went last year at Christmas. Record Cold temps. We dressed appropriately, but the cold kept everyone but the tourists inside. If we went off the beaten path we may as well have been visiting a stage set. We stayed at an Air BnB and had a voucher for our plane tickets, but it was still pretty expensive. We tried to go to the Metropolitan Museum of art which was wall to wall people. Ended up at the MOMA which was the highlight of the trip, as well as Ellen's Starlight Cafe. People were very nice every where we went (except for some notably pushy tourist but they don't count)

I can see amazing theater in any decent sized town, so I really have no intention of ever visiting NY again. There are too many places I haven't been (never been out of north america).

Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where?
You're asking where something isn't?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:04 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Calling a pizzeria an "Italian restaurant" is a stretch, even if they sell more than just pizza. Especially that many of these places are no longer run by Italians, thus are low quality.

And it is large swaths, not small pockets. I could have provided many more examples
Someone said Manhattan had become homogenized and chain restaurants are one reason. They're not the only reason. There didn't used to be a Duane Reade on every corner; there were independent pharmacies and few chains. There wasn't a bank on every block, either. If you walked Manhattan north to south or etc. now, you could count the number of the same places you passed and it didn't used to be that way. I include empty storefronts as part of the list of the same things you see on every block now. Duane Reade, CVS, RiteAid, Burger King, McDonald's, empty storefronts by the dozen, and every bank over and over again, along with a host of corporate restaurants and 7-11s.

The reason you don't agree is that you have no idea what the city was before. And it doesn't matter if you're a fan of chains or not, what's happening in N. Brooklyn is not the city as a whole. There's always been some hip and trendy enclave. It doesn't mean the city hasn't overall homogenized, corporatized, and Disney-fied to a sad extent.

You need bodegas because 7-11 doesn't have cats or know your name. It's the humanity in certain kinds of places that makes you feel at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel