Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:51 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The catch is, when is spring in NYC?

Went there mid-March back in 2015, it was ridiculously cold. The worst part was I couldn't get home on time because flights were canceled off due to adverse weather conditions.
Well, obviously one can't always predict weather. This winter there has hardly been any snow, but March is still winter, and the possibility exists that there could be snow still coming.

Not sure what constitutes "ridiculously cold" lol. It's NYC, so you certainly couldn't have expected balmy weather and budding flowers in March!

Old 02-22-2019, 07:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My experiences traveling to New York have all been good ones -- probably because my husband was a born-and-raised Brooklynite, and we always went to places that he knew and liked.

So my mother, clueless about big-city ways, saw a man unloading cargo from the back of a truck. She interrupted him with, "Excuse me! Is there a coffee shop near here?"

The worker shouted at her, "Lady, I'm WORKING here!" My mother was so offended, she never went back to New York again.
lol, this happen to me in Paris and I simply shrugged my shoulders.

I think what folks often forget is that yes when you encounter a stranger on the street in a big city they probably are working.

Now I'm a Native NY'er and I now live in Philly, I have had tourist stop me to ask a question, problem is most of the time it's not a simple question. case in point, this happen to me a few weeks ago.

Lady: excuse me, can you tell me how to get to the Liberty Bell
Me: sure no problem, (give directions) and advise them to walk because of poor parking in the area
Lady: thank you, oh is there a bank with an ATM near by?
Me: You'll see plenty on the way
Lady: do you know if one is a WSFS?
Me: no idea
lady: what about a good pizza place.

ok, by now I'm getting annoyed, because yes believe it or not I've got some place to go and secondly every hotel in Philly has a concierge where it's their job to do all that and lastly, if you've got a phone it takes about 30 secs to pull up some information.

While I love my city and try to be a good ambassador, I'm not hanging out on market street waiting to give helpful tourist advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Interesting, nobody commented on my Central Park comment. Is summer a "bad" time to visit Central Park? Is there some entrances better than others? Is there an ideal season to visit? Time of Day? Day of the week?

It was a lovely park, but it was absolutely packed when I visited in summer.
Summer is a great time to visit Central Park, remember though it will be hot. Generally I enter through 59th street or along anyone of the 5th ave entrances.

Now as far as best time to visit? I mean if the weather is nice imo there isn't a "bad" time. I think it's pretty standard. weekends when folks are off of work will definitely have a lot of people.

In the summer there usually have a free concert on the summer stage. walk the "mall" and just relax.

LOL, I had my wedding pictures taken at the Loeb boathouse, waaaaay back in the dark ages.

Visiting Central Park - The Official Website of Central Park NYC

Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Q: Those of you who went to New York City, any noteworthy observations that you had?

A: Well, for one, there are a lot of New Yorkers there.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Summer is a great time to visit Central Park, remember though it will be hot. Generally I enter through 59th street or along anyone of the 5th ave entrances.

Now as far as best time to visit? I mean if the weather is nice imo there isn't a "bad" time. I think it's pretty standard. weekends when folks are off of work will definitely have a lot of people.

In the summer there usually have a free concert on the summer stage. walk the "mall" and just relax.

LOL, I had my wedding pictures taken at the Loeb boathouse, waaaaay back in the dark ages.

Visiting Central Park - The Official Website of Central Park NYC
Great to know! I look forward to my next visit and exploring the Park further.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,511 times
Have been to New York several times over the years. Great city to visit.

Particularly liked the museums (some of the world’s best are there) and other attractions, as well as restaurants (NYC is one of the major food destinations in the US). Supposed to be great for shopping, too, but that’s not my thing.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
WHen it's hot and humid in NYC, the streets smell like a sewer. I almost gagged from the smell of urine and sh*t. I guess it's from all the people walking their dogs?? At least I hope that's the reason.
I’ve never experienced this when I’ve been. And while there weren’t poop scoop laws in NYC at one time, I think that’s no longer true.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:07 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,903,979 times
Filthy. Rats. Mafias. Not a nice place.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I went a very long time ago but I recall that it was really difficult to find a public bathroom, or someplace that would "allow" you to use their bathroom. Ultimately, I did find a hotel that was kind enough to do so, but I can understand why people pee and poop on the sidewalk.
This has reportedly become an issue in some west coast cities recently, but I’ve never encountered public pee and poop in NYC. Besides, there are usually places you can find a bathroom when you’re out and about in NYC such as hotels or coffee shops like Starbucks.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:14 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Filthy. Rats. Mafias. Not a nice place.
Ever been there?

FYI: Total crime per 100,000 residents -

New York, NY: 1871

San Angelo, TX: 4690

Last edited by kokonutty; 02-24-2019 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel