U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 AM

1,890 posts, read 548,112 times

Advertisements

I've lived in New York my whole life and I'm curious about hearing outsiders' experiences. I'd love to hear the thoughts of those of who you have been here , especially if you went for the first time over the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 AM

17,287 posts, read 19,572,199 times
I live about 200 miles from New York City and go there 1-2 times every year. I've seen a lot of the major attractions - been up the Empire State Building, 1 World Trade Center and the original World Trade Center, been to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. I took a sightseeing bus tour many years ago and think it would be cool to do that again.

I enjoy midtown the most, strolling along 42nd street, Broadway, 5th avenue, Rockefeller Center and Central Park. I like to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade with my kids. Also, Little Italy is nice. In the summer, I like to take the subway and go to Coney Island. I've driven around in parts of Brooklyn and enjoy going to Jackson Heights for ethnic food.

Basically, I've lost count of the number of times I've been to New York City.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,644,275 times
My experiences traveling to New York have all been good ones -- probably because my husband was a born-and-raised Brooklynite, and we always went to places that he knew and liked.

My mother, on the other hand, visited New York only once, and her experience was different. From her home in Pennsylvania, she traveled by bus with a friend to New York for a day to see a Broadway show. When they arrived in the city, they had some time to kill before the show started, and they wanted to find a nice coffee shop.

So my mother, clueless about big-city ways, saw a man unloading cargo from the back of a truck. She interrupted him with, "Excuse me! Is there a coffee shop near here?"

The worker shouted at her, "Lady, I'm WORKING here!" My mother was so offended, she never went back to New York again.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My experiences traveling to New York have all been good ones -- probably because my husband was a born-and-raised Brooklynite, and we always went to places that he knew and liked.

My mother, on the other hand, visited New York only once, and her experience was different. From her home in Pennsylvania, she traveled by bus with a friend to New York for a day to see a Broadway show. When they arrived in the city, they had some time to kill before the show started, and they wanted to find a nice coffee shop.

So my mother, clueless about big-city ways, saw a man unloading cargo from the back of a truck. She interrupted him with, "Excuse me! Is there a coffee shop near here?"

The worker shouted at her, "Lady, I'm WORKING here!" My mother was so offended, she never went back to New York again.

Honestly, most New Yorkers would be more than happy to assist her. Some guy working, making 8 dollars an hour unloading a truck is probably more likely to be grumpy than the average resident

Old 02-16-2019, 11:58 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,928,749 times
Every trip I've had there has been wonderful....

From the throngs of people, to the landmarks, shopping, arts, performances, the multitude of museums, Broadway shows, the food of course....just the enérgy that is palpable. Also finding your way to local neighborhoods off the major streets...what great dim sum we had in a Chinese restaurant where no one spoke English and it was streets back from the main...same for Italian. Had my first Indian food there decades ago. French bistro off the beaten path....

Experiences like the subway, street people sleeping on sidewalks, trash in some areas was new for me but is as much part of NYC as a museum.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:06 PM

8,270 posts, read 11,130,236 times
To someone who has lived in California all her life, Manhattan was almost unbearably congested. On our two trips we stayed in Park Slope on the first trip and in in Flushing the second. IF you can stand the noise and the congestion you can have a lot of fun.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
To someone who has lived in California all her life, Manhattan was almost unbearably congested. On our two trips we stayed in Park Slope on the first trip and in in Flushing the second. IF you can stand the noise and the congestion you can have a lot of fun.
NYC is basically the un-California of this country (except politically)

Manhattan's congestion is mostly really bad during peak work hours, at night it's not so bad. And most of Manhattan doesn't really have that "wall of people" thing going on that midtown Manhattan does in the daytime.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:55 PM

6,219 posts, read 2,879,696 times
The positive:
Central Park...in spring and summer.
Loved the museums.

Negative:
The locals. If you can ignore 8.6 million ppl...it might be an ok place.
The claustrophobia from buildings....
Noise. Noise. Noise.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:55 PM

1,015 posts, read 353,433 times
I prefer the NYC from 15-20 years ago, but I still love visiting. It seems very homogenized now, in a way that I cannot really explain.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I prefer the NYC from 15-20 years ago, but I still love visiting. It seems very homogenized now, in a way that I cannot really explain.
I'm sure it's different from the 90s but I don't see how anyone could describe it as "homogenized".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or