U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 04:03 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,176,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
No because I just want to go to the equator for a week.
You do know that the equator is an imaginary line? It's not something you can see or visit. It's just a line on a map. If you had said "I have a particular interest in equatorial African terrain"(which is a very wide-ranging "line" and doesn't exist just in Kenya), I might have thought there was some (but very little) validity in your quest. But clearly you have some sort of vision you're expecting that doesn't exist. I know. I've been there. The best you'll get is a sign post declaring "This is the equator". And you are going to spend a week on "it"?

Old 02-19-2019, 04:04 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Quote:
You can get visas easily and the car lease lets you take the car anywhere in the world because it's a lease not rental.
What you are totally disregarding is that each country you wish to enter has its own rules and shake down procedures for entering the country by private vehicle at a land crossing. You may be required to buy insurance on the spot (the guy at the Cameroon border crossing isn't impressed by your French insurance); you may be required to make a 'deposit' of several thousand dollars (US bank notes less than five years old only) as a guarantee that you will drive the vehicle back out of the country within that month rather than trying to sell it there.

It's multiple levels of complexity beyond just buying a package tour to Egypt or South Africa where the worst that will happen to you is that there will be a fuss about an incorrect yellow fever card. (I know regular travelers in Africa who have had to buy 10+ yellow fever cards over the course of a few years because the old one was 'incorrect' TIA)

And you're also rather failing at basic research. You talk about driving in September and October because 'the weather is good then'. It takes me roughly five seconds of internet searching to find articles talking about how it's best to avoid driving in the Central African Republic between May and November
because it's the rainy season then and few roads in the country are actual tarmac. Same articles also talk about the need for a real 4x4 in driving in rural areas in the country, and regular roadblock shake downs should be expected.

A lot of us here want to see a crazy plan like yours succeed. Really. But you need to have respect for some really rough conditions you're heading into or it could all go very badly very quickly. Find some travel buddies with a clue and work with them and you've got good odds of success and stories of a lifetime.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM

38,002 posts, read 55,785,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Damn, with all the research you've already done in the above post and a few others, you should go with the OP.

Not with a child in tow...

My bad, I thought we are going to have serious conversation here. In contrary to OP, I did invest some time doing research, but I am not going to spend more time on this silly thread. OP needs to grow up first and get some experiences traveling outside his village.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM

1,166 posts, read 532,991 times
Quote:
I completely disagree. As you said it is over 6000 miles each way so carbon emission are important. If it's 6782 miles from Bidford to Nanyuki as I have calculated, then that X2 is 13564, or 21829 km. The Mini Countryman Hybrid has co2 emissions of 55g/km. So 55 x 21829 is 1200595 g of co2. So over 1 million grams of co2 for the trip. If I had a vehicle with 110g/km of co2 then the emissions would be almost 2.5 million grams of co2. Climate change is more important than the ideal vehicle for a trip.
If you’re that concerned about carbon emissions, then stay home.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:32 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,176,126 times
Also, if you're not suicidal, STAY HOME! It's hard for me to believe that your parents are supporting this in any way. If you were my child, I would do anything in my power to get you off this path.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
For someone concerned with emissions, he's sure planning on a heck of a lot of long distance driving in the next year.

What's your travel plan 2019?
No, no... it's THIS year already, and OP is still only 17 y.o. without a drivers license. And his driving experiences are limited to small trips around his little village under close supervision of his dad...

Come on, people, OP can't be taken seriously.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM

15,322 posts, read 17,778,734 times
Quote:
I have solar panels on my roof and a car charger at home. All ecotricity charging points have electricity from renewable energy. Maybe to lock the car with an alarm would be helpful?

Perhaps buy a club, & a locking gas cap.

https://www.amazon.com/3000-Hooks-St...ag=googhydr-20

Install an ignition " Kill Switch" & alarm.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

https://www.amazon.com/3000-Hooks-St...ag=googhydr-20

Lol... in a leased car?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:17 PM

4,420 posts, read 1,676,659 times
Amazing. We're giving advice about grams of CO2 to an 18-yo who thinks he can get vegan food in Tamanrasset. Oh dear.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

Nah, better to invest in a nice thick metal neck collar, so it's a lot harder for them to cut your head off like they did to those two girls in Morocco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or