U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 06:25 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,173,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Amazing. We're giving advice about grams of CO2 to an 18-yo who thinks he can get vegan food in Tamanrasset. Oh dear.
Exactly! Even I wasn't that idealistic and clueless when I was 17-18. It's scary when someone so young has this kind of dangerous dream. I lived in Africa many years ago and I doubt things have changed so much in the various underdeveloped countries. Many more recent, seasoned, experienced posters have offered advice and warnings and the OP has rejected them. So be it. I hope we won't be reading about his death, capture, dismemberment, torture next year. Over and out for this thread.

Last edited by sayulita; 02-19-2019 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM

1,664 posts, read 779,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I haven't passed my test yet, I aim to pass in June this year. So I haven't driven in any foreign countries. Yes I am going to travel alone. I will rent apartments online and use google translate for non English speaking countries. And yes I am going in a Mini because I want something with relatively low carbon emissions.
There is no way you can take a Mini on that trip. No way at all. It will be a total wreck before you get through Algeria and Niger. This is honestly a truly bad idea. Completely bad, with no redeeming features. Overland trips across Africa are made in heavy duty SUV's or trucks. I've seen potholes larger than a Mini in Africa. I've seen roads in Africa where there is no way a Mini can get through the potholes, rocks, and other bits and pieces without significant damage.

You are young and have no clue as to how the world works. I seriously doubt you can even take a leased Mini to Africa. There are customs officials and police that will take everything you own, including the car, and leave you naked by the side of the road. Travelling alone in Africa at any age is stupid, much less at 18.

If you want to overland across Africa, look for an organized expedition led by someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 779,543 times
Quote:
Yes it does make a difference. Every gram of co2 counts. If a small hybrid vehicle isn't appropriate (which I think it is) then what vehicle do you suggest I use? No way I'm ever driving a Land Rover.
I would start with a Toyota Land Cruiser, a Land Rover Defender, or something similar. I would hazard a guess that getting a Mini repaired in 99% of Africa is impossible. Africans don't cvare about their CO2 emissions, so trying to "do your bit" is stupid.

Quote:
Well most of Cameroon and Algeria seem OK. And who cares about the government, they're just a load of right wingers anyway?
those warnings are put out by civil servants who stay in their job regardless of which berk runs teh government. And, Corbyn is as stupid as May in his own special way.

Quote:
Just because I'm not as knowledgeable doesn't mean I'm not prepared for the trip.
Bull feces. You have no clue what Africa is like. I lived in Africa for almost 5 years, and was 31 when I arrived, and had lived in other countries previously. Without the help from my colleagues, I would have been woefully unprepared.

Quote:
There are plenty of food, gas, electricity and hotels on my route. There are a couple of stops in the middle of nowhere that require camping, but I'll make sure to stock up on food.
You assume food will be available. That's a bad assumption. A smart person drives through Algeria in a large SUV or truck, carrying 100 liters of water, extra fuel, vehicle parts, and lots of food. Driving a Mini will most likely be the death of you, broken down in some remote place with no passersby to assist.

You may think there are good roads, gas, etc on the way, but you would be wrong. What looks like good roads on a map often do not exist, are closed, or are goat tracks. The "hotels" are non-existent, or were never completed.

If you want a trip, use trains and visit Eastern Europe and Russia.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 PM
46H

965 posts, read 585,274 times
Do you have a will?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 584,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
This has to be a troll post.
Quoting so I can find this thread after the OP takes his trip.

And I agree, OP is a troll.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM

5,662 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
Yes, apart from the trip from the UK to Kenya, all will be in my electric car. I have a car so I can drive with my dad. I have driven to Stratford-upon-Avon several times and to Evesham and Alcester once.
Those places are all about 8 miles from your house. I truly hope that you don't think that, because you're able to drive 8 miles in England, you're qualified to drive something like 12,000 miles through Europe and Africa. Never mind driving; have you ever even RIDDEN in a car for more than one day at a time? It's more tiring than you might think. Even if everything went exactly according to plan, and nothing bad happened at all, you'd still be exhausted beyond safe limits after 19 straight days of all-day driving.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 PM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Quote:
In September and October 2019 I plan to drive from the UK to Kenya. This is so I can go to the equator, near Nairobi. I have an electric car so I'm going to drive from the UK to Germany to hire a petrol/diesel car and then from Germany to Kenya. The trip will take about 3 weeks driving from Germany to Kenya, 1 week there and then 3 weeks driving back. I know that the weather is delightful there at that time of year, about 24C and sunny so not too hot. Anyway, any thoughts?
A recipe for disaster, too many potential problems.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,316,104 times
If you really want to minimize your carbon footprint, you can always walk or ride a bicycle from the UK to Kenya, it's been done before, it just takes a wee bit longer!

I see the OP as a geography/map/road nerd and enthusiast who is also conscience about the environment, just starting to become a driver and wanting to see the world.

I'm quite a bit older and have already been to all seven continents and maybe 40-45 countries. I admit, I too love to stare at maps and look at different routes and road trips and fantasize about the endless possibilities, but also realize all the issues with making such trips. It's great to dream, it's great to see the world and highly recommend it to everyone who can afford it, but sometimes reality is harsh and cruel, it's not all rainbows and unicorns out there!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:07 AM

12,619 posts, read 7,538,198 times
Quote:
I won't do over the mileage, I'm going for 14,000 miles a year and the trip is 13,580 miles. I will only use the car for the trip.
Hopefully, you don't get lost.

Good news is if you die, you don't have to worry about all the extra mileage on your leased car!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:08 AM

12,619 posts, read 7,538,198 times
Quote:
The apartments would have air con, I assume.
LOL!

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or