U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 55,692,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
What? You think a swarm of ants will kill and eat me? Unlikely, theyíre only small insects.
https://lowvelder.co.za/245166/10-da...nimals-africa/

https://animals.mom.me/hazardous-bugs-africa-8688.html
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 PM

9,778 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I asked about credit cards, you said you have a ... debit card.
How did you build a good credit without credit cards, no income, no job, and no mortgage, or major purchases like a car or big appliances? You still live with your parents, no?
He didn't say that he has good credit. Just that he doesn't have bad credit. He doesn't realize that not having established any credit at all is as much an obstacle as bad credit.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 PM

1,647 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:
From carbuyer.co.uk: In our 2018 survey, the MINI hatchback finished in 46th place out of 75 cars covered. Pleasingly, owners rated it well above average for reliability and build quality, with only 10.5% reporting one or more faults within the first year of ownership.

It's an SUV so it's not foolish.

There is plenty of food and water on the journey.
That's what you think. There are parts of your trip where food will be scarce and water hard to find. That's why smart people do this sort of trip in a large SUV or truck, so they can carry lots of fuel and lots of water, plus 4 to 6 spare wheels and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
That's what you're scared of? If you are immunized against malaria, that's the least of your worries.
Malaria doesn't have an immunization, but you can take daily pills as a preventative

Quote:
I donít mind ants because they canít fly - unless you mean flying ants of course which I also hate.
You should mind ants, they can kill you. The biologist that did our animal studies in the jungle said the only thing she was afraid of was ants. She would spend 30 to 45 days at a time in the jungle, sleeping in a hammock and walking all over charting animal signs. The ants scared her. Our entomologist was fearful of ants as well. You can't fight a billion ants.

Algeria to Niger is risky. See here https://sahara-overland.com/algeria-3/

Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,171,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

Malaria doesn't have an immunization, but you can take daily pills as a preventative

True! I should have thought it through. I spent 3 years in Tanzania taking anti-malarial meds. And it worked! I never got malaria. However, we did have to evacuate the house one night when fire ants marched through the village eating and biting everything in sight. Scary night.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Yes it has delightful weather in September/October when Iím going. 24C with 90 degree angle sun and extreme UV
If it's Kenya that you're interested in, why not just fly there? British Airways offers nonstop service between London and Nairobi. It'll be vastly easier and vastly cheaper and vastly safer than the long drive you're planning, and you'll still be able to enjoy the delightful weather at your destination.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM

5,260 posts, read 3,309,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If it's Kenya that you're interested in, why not just fly there? British Airways offers nonstop service between London and Nairobi. It'll be vastly easier and vastly cheaper and vastly safer than the long drive you're planning, and you'll still be able to enjoy the delightful weather at your destination.
I would guess it's due to the carbon footprint, that's why I think walking or riding a bicycle is the way to go!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 PM

1,552 posts, read 633,922 times
This is a beautiful thread. Thanks for giving us these nuggets of gold randomguy.

As a bloke slightly experience in these matters (although in asia rather than africa), it's a suicidal mission. Maybe drive through Europe down to Athens for a high sun angle? Stay in hostels or wild camp in safer areas than Algeria etc.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:34 PM

9,778 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Like the other poster mentioned, the OP is concerned about CO2 emissions. But I agree if he wants to go to Kenya, he should fly, and consider buying Carbon Offsets to assuage his guilt about his carbon footprint.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 PM

40,200 posts, read 15,171,485 times
I've given up on trying to clean up this thread. It's not salvageable and is, consequently, closed. Numerous off-topic and rude posts have been deleted, but many remain. There aren't enough hours in the day to clean up the entire thread.

People, if you don't like a topic, then move on to another thread rather than post rude remarks, personal attacks or off-topic comments.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or