Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
lol even in California, people need more protection than a tent from wild life, when camping in wilderness areas.

If you want to spend some time in Africa, why not volunteer or find a job there for a while.
No because I just want to go to the equator for a week.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
No because I just want to go to the equator for a week.
Then fly direct to your location. The drive sounds like a nightmare & full of trouble.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:32 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Many people from the UK visit Nairobi every year, and although uncommon, incidents of violent crime have resulted in the death of several British nationals in recent years.
But you're not just visiting Nairobi, are you? You're driving through large chunks of Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Kenya -- to say nothing of various Middle Eastern countries. Most of this route is through the desert, and some of it is probably unsafe due to poor road conditions and/or lack of food and water and/or terrorism and/or local insurgencies. Do you know which areas are safe and which ones aren't? (I don't, so I can't help you there.) Do you really think that a young Westerner traveling by himself can just breeze through without any difficulty, like taking the motorway through England?

If you're going to take this trip and come out in one piece, you need to take a much more serious attitude towards acknowledging and preparing yourself for the various contingencies that you might face.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Yeah, elephants, lions, hyenas, buffalo etc. are terrified of zippers. While I salute your spirit of adventure, I agree with others that you are being incredibly naive and willfully ignorant of the dangers of such a journey. Some very experienced travelers have given you good advice here. Heed it or ignore at your own peril.
What if an elephant stomped on my tent?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Then fly direct to your location. The drive sounds like a nightmare & full of trouble.
Carbon emissions of flying are far greater than driving the same distance, I would only fly if I went to America.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Listen to someone who has been there.
Quote:
No.

Why should he? After all, it's a well-known fact that 18-year-olds who have never been outside of Europe are far more knowledgeable about Africa than are those who have been there multiple times.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
But you're not just visiting Nairobi, are you? You're driving through large chunks of Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Kenya -- to say nothing of various Middle Eastern countries. Most of this route is through the desert, and some of it is probably unsafe due to poor road conditions and/or lack of food and water and/or terrorism and/or local insurgencies. Do you know which areas are safe and which ones aren't? (I don't, so I can't help you there.) Do you really think that a young Westerner traveling by himself can just breeze through without any difficulty, like taking the motorway through England?

If you're going to take this trip and come out in one piece, you need to take a much more serious attitude towards acknowledging and preparing yourself for the various contingencies that you might face.
My route is UK - France - Spain - Algeria - Niger - Nigeria - Cameroon - Central African Republic - South Sudan - Uganda - Kenya.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why should he? After all, it's a well-known fact that 18-year-olds who have never been outside of Europe are far more knowledgeable about Africa than are those who have been there multiple times.
Just because I'm not as knowledgeable doesn't mean I'm not prepared for the trip.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:40 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Carbon emissions of flying are far greater than driving the same distance, I would only fly if I went to America.
Your life is worth more than some carbon emissions.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Your life is worth more than some carbon emissions.
My life depends on the climate of the Earth. A few degrees warming makes it uninhabitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel