Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:12 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,039,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
No, YOU defined it. I deliberately used the term "bad guy" as it is completely neutral. Unless I should have said "bad person" in case it's a woman.
Yes, its sexist.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:12 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
My Great Aunt and Uncle speak French, but they are often either in France or The Gambia. Or I could use Google translate.

What defines a bad guy? A black Muslim? That's racist.
I belive you are the first person to use the word Muslim.

Dangers in Africa are well known, & not restricted to any one religion. Corrupt police etc seem to be a way of life, not a made up tale. Your car & wallet will be a magnet to the bad guys & girls. Along with a naive attitude.
People who will risk being burned alive for a pot of fuel, are desperate people, you will mean nothing to them.

Last edited by evening sun; 02-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: adding bad girls so as not to appear sexist ;)

Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
This thread sounds like having conversation with a 5 year old who just found Africa on the map...

OP - just out of curiosity - why are you moving out from a little village in UK to live in a little village in France. You don't speak French, are you parents moving you to live with relatives there?

Another question: not sure about the UK laws, but is it OK with your disability caseworker that you spend your disability money for traveling the continents? I thought those money you supposed to spend on daily living.

Few more question: did you talked with your parents and your psychiatrist about this trip?
Are they approving it?
You know, an onset of psychosis in an African desert or while dealing with armed rebells could be really debilitating.
What about depression and anxieties? Can you deal with that while under severe stress caused by car breakdown or animals attack?

Do you know how to fix a car middle of nowhere where there aren’t any spare parts or much transport?
How much water, food, petrol, clothes and bedding you can fit in that little Mini? You also need basic tools and extra tires.

What are you going to do if you get lost and there is no GPS and no phone signal, or run out of petrol or get sick, or get attacked by a tribe, rebells, thieves or wild animals? Or all your stuff get stolen, incl. passport and money? Start fire and send smoke signals?

Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Since you were foolish enough to drive a Mini into a barely charted wilderness, it's certain to break down in the middle of nowhwere.
You're in the middle of Bumfunk Africa with no food or water, so it won't be long before you're downed by hunger or thirst.

Of course the vultures will find you fairly quickly and won't wait until you're gone before beginning their feast.

Sounds like a very environmentally conscious way to go to me.
Be sure to be proud of yourself while they're pecking your eyes out.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Since you were foolish enough to drive a Mini into a barely charted wilderness, it's certain to break down in the middle of nowhwere.
You're in the middle of Bumfunk Africa with no food or water, so it won't be long before you're downed by hunger or thirst.

Of course the vultures will find you fairly quickly and won't wait until you're gone before beginning their feast.
Hey, it's just another environmentally conscious way to go...
Don't forget the hyenas and jackals. And they won't offer you bottled water before they consume you.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM

388 posts, read 212,744 times
Have fun in Kenya, matey!

Heard it's a lovely country...

Old 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,039,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
Have fun in Kenya, matey!

Heard it's a lovely country...

Yes it has delightful weather in September/October when I’m going. 24C with 90 degree angle sun and extreme UV

Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, no... it's THIS year already, and OP is still only 17 y.o. without a drivers license. And his driving experiences are limited to small trips around his little village under close supervision of his dad...

Come on, people, OP can't be taken seriously.
I would've thought that OP can't be taken seriously either, but most of his posts on the Weather forum are of a similar quality this is either a really clueless individual, or a master troll who has taken years perfecting this personality, with the dedication of Hugh Jackman in The Prestige

Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
There is no way, any car company on the planet will allow the OP to take a brand new car to a lawless, country that lacks any government. Read the fine print.

The last time I rented a car in South Florida (it was a sixteen passenger van), we were forbidden from taking to Miami by the rental company.

So a big fat no, on driving a rented car through Niger, Libya, etc. Pick a country.

How will they know? This little thing called GPS.

If you are even able to make it back to the UK, you'll get sued by the car company.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:25 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
No I won't I'm going to live in France next winter after the trip, so yes I will get out of the UK. And I don't have bad credit
When I asked about credit cards, you said you have a ... debit card.
How did you build a good credit without credit cards, no income, no job, and no mortgage, or major purchases like a car or big appliances? You still live with your parents, no?
Did you check your ClearScore with the
3 CRAs – Experian, Equifax and Callcredit?

Did you check on all the requirements to lease a car in the UK?
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...r-leasing-work

In short:
You’ll need to pass a credit check to secure your agreement. You’ll often be able to get a better interest rate with a higher credit score.

To get out of a lease early you may not be able to just walk away from the agreement. There may be additional costs to pay before you can leave that you hadn’t budgeted for.
There are some restrictions you need to bear in mind: no car modification, and a penalty for the extra miles at the end of the agreement. Typically this is 10p per extra mile.
You need to account for road closures, detours, being lost etc.
You need to return the car in good condition minus typical wear and tear, which will be highly unlikely after you do the 15,000 mile trip.
Scratches, dents, broken windshield, mirrors, lights, punctured tires etc. you might be charged to cover the cost of putting this damage right. Those are not cheap. Leasing companies are notorious for charging high fees for small dings and scratches.
If you plan on taking your car abroad, you might need to get written permission from the finance company each time you do so and there might also be a charge.
Most leasing companies require you to get a higher level of insurance coverage on the vehicle. Your vehicle needs international insurance. Some countries also require local insurance to drive there.
There are many fees associated with leasing that you won't find anywhere else.

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontrac...vehicle-abroad

A standard European car lease requires upfront disclosure of all countries you definitively or even possibly plan to visit while in possession of the car. This is because car lease suppliers will either require you to pay additional fees and add on further insurances to do so, or completely deny certain models or categories to travel into certain countries.

Did you check, OP if the leasing company would allow you to take their car on a trip across Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel