U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:09 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times

Advertisements

I collect shot glasses from places I travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 AM

10,498 posts, read 8,425,023 times
I have a small collection of a wide variety of vintage souvenirs from Rock City Gardens, atop Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN (as all those barns will remind you).

Very few are contemporary - most are from the 1950s-60s and before. There are gnomes, elves, wooden pieces like a miniature wishing well with "Rock City" pyrographed onto the side, early hand-tinted postcards and brochures, a lot of small china pieces with scenes - mostly Lovers' Leap - on them, and much more. At present, they inhabit a small what-not shelf hung on the wall near my computer desk, but the collection has outgrown the shelf, thanks to a generous friend.

I first saw Rock City at age five, and loved it. My family and I returned when I was seven, and the magic persisted. But I never got back - until I was retired and in my fifties. Wow! The magic was still there, though somehow, many of the rock formations had shrunk in size, and the Enchanted Trail was shorter through Magic Valley. But the beauty of the place, and the nostalgia it provided, made Rock City a favorite place to stop and break my semi-annual trips to Georgia to see friends and relatives.

The Gardens are well-cared for, although the present management, led by a relative of the founders, has added a lot of "extras", not all to my taste, and the Seven States visible from Lovers' Leap are still there. Rock City has recently put a lot of effort into improving the health and the lives of the famous herd of white roe deer, and there are flowers and native plants all along the Enchanted Trail. Fairyland Caverns has its own quirky appeal, and I am always sorry to conclude my visits to this historic and beautiful place, the vision of a remarkable couple, folklore loving Frieda and her husband developer Garnet Carter, brought to life.

So - See Rock City!

You won't regret it.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 AM

48 posts, read 14,390 times
We collect patches from National Monuments and Parks. When my son was little, my wife sewed them on a jacket for him to wear. When he got older, she removed the patches from the jacket and made a quilt for him with the patches on it. My wife also collects Christmas ornaments from places.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:13 PM

618 posts, read 266,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I have a small collection of a wide variety of vintage souvenirs from Rock City Gardens, atop Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN (as all those barns will remind you).

Very few are contemporary - most are from the 1950s-60s and before. There are gnomes, elves, wooden pieces like a miniature wishing well with "Rock City" pyrographed onto the side, early hand-tinted postcards and brochures, a lot of small china pieces with scenes - mostly Lovers' Leap - on them, and much more. At present, they inhabit a small what-not shelf hung on the wall near my computer desk, but the collection has outgrown the shelf, thanks to a generous friend.

I first saw Rock City at age five, and loved it. My family and I returned when I was seven, and the magic persisted. But I never got back - until I was retired and in my fifties. Wow! The magic was still there, though somehow, many of the rock formations had shrunk in size, and the Enchanted Trail was shorter through Magic Valley. But the beauty of the place, and the nostalgia it provided, made Rock City a favorite place to stop and break my semi-annual trips to Georgia to see friends and relatives.

The Gardens are well-cared for, although the present management, led by a relative of the founders, has added a lot of "extras", not all to my taste, and the Seven States visible from Lovers' Leap are still there. Rock City has recently put a lot of effort into improving the health and the lives of the famous herd of white roe deer, and there are flowers and native plants all along the Enchanted Trail. Fairyland Caverns has its own quirky appeal, and I am always sorry to conclude my visits to this historic and beautiful place, the vision of a remarkable couple, folklore loving Frieda and her husband developer Garnet Carter, brought to life.

So - See Rock City!

You won't regret it.
We been there! Loved the gnomes!!!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:15 PM

10,194 posts, read 12,240,524 times
I've never bothered, to me the thrill is in the hunt not in the actual item. So great, I find something cool but then once it gets home it becomes "clutter!"

Snow globes, fridge magnets, shells, whatever.......the clutter effect annoys me!

Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I've never bothered, to me the thrill is in the hunt not in the actual item. So great, I find something cool but then once it gets home it becomes "clutter!"

Snow globes, fridge magnets, shells, whatever.......the clutter effect annoys me!
Agree! My parents used to bring home sand from various beaches around the world and layer it in a glass container. It was pretty interesting to see the variations, and it cost nothing.

We have a few tree ornaments from travels, but no longer put up a Christmas tree. I work for a nonprofit, and just took a donation of 140+ thimbles from around the world. Most are "made in China" junk bearing the names of exotic locales. I wonder what it cost the donor to assemble.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:41 PM

3,427 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Since we only travel with carry-on luggage, space is a premium. Fridge magnets are all we get, and that way we are reminded of our fun adventures several times a day. Cheap, too. Too much clutter gets to me.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:55 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
We always bring notebooks with us in our travels. We write about the region, what we did and also put leaves in them. We then put leaves in newspapers and press them to get the moisture out.
I always bring a small notebook to write up the dayís sightseeing whenever I travel longer than a day tripís worth. Thatís really the primary ďcollection,Ē if you can call it that, I indulge in. And itís wonderful periodically to read these and reminisce.

I also have travel books (mostly Frommers) that I use for research. When I get home, I check off the things I saw and did in them. Itís a good supplement to the small notebooks.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM

221 posts, read 147,429 times
I collect magnets and a shirt from all places I really enjoyed visiting. I also make a photo book from all vacations.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:09 PM

2,080 posts, read 706,293 times
I have a large collection of refrigerator magnets but magnets don't stick on my current refrigerator!

About 12 years ago I started a travel-themed charm bracelet. A few of the charms were ones I bought on e-Bay from places I'd already visited, but the rest were bought in places I've been. Even when you buy gold, a small charm isn't TOO expensive and it's very portable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or