U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times

Advertisements

Not all my vacations are to the beach but for those that are I collect a small bit of sand, shells, or pebbles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 PM

13,013 posts, read 6,222,149 times
We try to get a refrigerator magnet from each new place we visit. When our daughter was growing up, we did several cross-country road trips. Sometimes I like to look at our collection that's on our fridge door and do some reminiscing.

When places used to give out matchbooks, we collected them, too. Someday I should figure out how to properly display them.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I used to have a nice collection of about 20 spoons with airline logos on them. From back in the days before they switched to plastic, or quit serving meals entirely.

My sister has refrigerator magnets. Years ago, I knew a guy who traveled with pharmaceutical vials, and saved a sample from famous bodies of water.
I have a collection of about 30 types of bottle caps.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times
I always try to get some artisan or art object from places I visit.

Traveling light I typically got textiles: ikat weavings in Indonesia, hill-tribe embroidered pillow cases from north Thailand; rubbings from old carved Irish gravestones. I have limited edition prints from artists' original plates from a little known print shop several flights up & hidden in a corner of the Louvre from a couple of visits long ago. I found a cool hand carved & painted religious icon in the Goodwill shop in Sante Fe.

When I lived in the midwest I rescued a signed artist's proof from a dumpster, his final print is in a museum & when he passed away a few years ago the NY Times ran an obit with a photo of him in his studio. When I was in Bali years ago I got a small painting done by an artist who was mentored by the first Euro artist to set up shop there decades earlier. A poster of a deposed revolutionary from a island right after the counterrevolution, picked it up off the floor of a destroyed government building that had seen action earlier. A bunch of Southwestern/Indian art & gimcracks from my years there, it doesn't have to be expensive - almost none of it is.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 PM

12,579 posts, read 7,520,870 times
We get Christmas ornaments and fridge magnets.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 AM

5,268 posts, read 3,311,295 times
I save left over money, coins and bills and put them in my foreign currency album.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 AM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I save left over money, coins and bills and put them in my foreign currency album.
Once, at every border, I threw all me leftover coins in the botton of by bag, and after about 6 months, the coins were about 10% of my carryon weight.

The things I truly treasured were the little gifts that local people gave us.

I took a half-roll of toilet paper from Graceland. I searched through a pile of building material in Gibraltar until I found a small rock the shape of Gibraltar. I pick up losing lotto tickets off the ground, I have a friend I send those to. He loves everything, even supermarket cash register slips.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-25-2019 at 05:54 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 06:05 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,775,199 times
This might sound crazy but every town that is new to us on road trips , I make the husband stop at the local library and pick up a free bookmark . I collect bookmarks , I have quite the collection .

Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 AM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times
I used to collect magnets from the places I traveled to for work. I'd put them on the metal cabinet by my desk (I don't like tchotchkes and clutter at home ... no collections there).

But then I was moved to a new space that didn't have room for the cabinet, so now I have no where to display magnets. It's been a few years since I've picked one up.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM

6,300 posts, read 3,566,992 times
Pretty rocks for my backyard rock garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or