U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:55 AM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times

Advertisements

I used to have a nice collection of about 20 spoons with airline logos on them. From back in the days before they switched to plastic, or quit serving meals entirely.

My sister has refrigerator magnets. Years ago, I knew a guy who traveled with pharmaceutical vials, and saved a sample from famous bodies of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
Have acquired some refrigerator magnets over time.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 AM

1,090 posts, read 388,575 times
Caps from every sporting stadium I visit. Getting close to 50 now.

And fridge magnets of course.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:54 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
We do Christmas ornaments for trips (and other various highlights and milestones in life). Decorating and taking down the tree both become an afternoon to relive all the great adventures we've had.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 AM

3,138 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
We do Christmas ornaments for trips (and other various highlights and milestones in life). Decorating and taking down the tree both become an afternoon to relive all the great adventures we've had.
Same here. It brings back so many great memories.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:31 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I used to have a nice collection of about 20 spoons with airline logos on them. From back in the days before they switched to plastic, or quit serving meals entirely.

My sister has refrigerator magnets. Years ago, I knew a guy who traveled with pharmaceutical vials, and saved a sample from famous bodies of water.
I have a collection of souvenir spoons that my mom started for me when I was a child and I decided to continue with this as they are small (easy to carry) and inexpensive to get. I probably have close to 200 spoons from all over the world and some of which were gifts by other people (friends, family, work associates, etc.).

Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 AM

616 posts, read 265,808 times
Yes, we have shot glasses and knick knacks from our travels. We pick up thimbles and spoons for my mother in law. She has a collection of those.

Aside from glasses and knick knacks, we collect post cards and have binders dedicated just for that.

Also, rocks. I use a sharpie and write under them which state we picked it from.

Being a tree lover, I also collect leaves. Yep, have a binder with pressed leaves from different trees, along with their common and Latin name. Even some in their beautiful fall colors.

We always bring notebooks with us in our travels. We write about the region, what we did and also put leaves in them. We then put leaves in newspapers and press them to get the moisture out.

To me, that's more important than buying stuff abroad. That shows that we're literally "out there", walking trails and doing whatever. Enjoying nature and being with each other, doing what we love.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 AM

889 posts, read 459,492 times
The pictures we took is all we need especially in retirement as we've downsized and dont need anymore "stuff"!

Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Also, rocks. I use a sharpie and write under them which state we picked it from.

We do this too. Many of our Christmas ornaments are small rocks or shells collected on our travels.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 AM

1,318 posts, read 1,182,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Have acquired some refrigerator magnets over time.
I have a decent collection of refrigerator magnets as well. However, my main souvenirs have been to create picture collages using a web service and hang them on my wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or