U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 234 times

Advertisements

We booked a vacation rental (through VRBO). After we booked, we messaged the owner through the vacation rental site and he did not respond. That was a couple of months ago. Then last week, I called the owner to ask questions about check-in day and other things. He said his employee will call me back with that information. It's a been a week now and I still have not heard back. We still have about 3 weeks to go, but I don't understand what is so hard about responding to a customer (that ALREADY booked their place).

I have asked around. Majority of people say relax and just wait. Some people say, they may not bother with that information until closer to time (maybe week of) when we are going. Some of these people have been through this too and said it wasn't until 2-3 days prior to check-in date, they finally contacted them with check in information. The minority of people I have asked, said it's odd that the owner isn't responding well.

I am not used to this. I have used vacation rentals before and the owners have responded back each time I had a question. They would responded between 1-3 days. This owner never responded to my email when I booked his place and now his employee hasn't called me back in over a with information.

Those who have experience with vacation rentals. What do you suggest I do? I am getting irritated, but the people I am going with aren't stressing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,699,544 times
I would call VRBO immediately. Sure can't hurt! I had this happen with an AirBNB and they gave the owner 24 hr to respond and when we didn't hear anything, we were able to cancel at no cost to us. Not sure what VRBO policy is, as I have never had a problem with any of the homes I have rented (about 12) and have always had responsive owners.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
So long as you didn't do something dumb, like pay outside the VRBO site (Send check, money order, wire transfer) then you're protected pretty well.

Not to say it wouldn't be proactive to deal with things now, because, while you wouldn't be financially impacted (at least long term) it would be a major inconvenience to arrive at your site and have to find a place to stay.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
I would be annoyed too, but I wouldn't be "worried." If it bothers you then contact vrbo, they should be able to help you out or cancel your reservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or