U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:12 AM

4,792 posts, read 11,971,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I dont plan on buying, I just have to sit through the presentation to get the discount
You are already at a disadvantage. You should have stated "I am not buying" above.

Are you such a cheap ass that you would subject yourself to such abuse? I have never gone to one, but I have read the stories of many who have. I personally know multiple people who didn't plan on buying but did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 11:26 AM
DKM

2,824 posts, read 1,006,691 times
Quote:
I am a member of the Hilton Honors reward program and I just recently received an email from them for $199 for 3 nights in Orlando or Las Vegas and 15,000 points. To get that rate you have to book it before March 5th and listen to a timeshare presentation.

Has anyone ever done this?

Here is the link:

https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com...ersion=chaserA
Yes I did it at the Elara in Vegas. Its a very good deal for a nice hotel and they throw in a show and a meal to boot. You have to give them 2 hours of time, say 10 to noon but it was worth it to me. Its not an enjoyable 2 hours but you eat their snacks and pretend to care about their nonsense. No way would I be tricked into buying one so if you are a pushover, don't do it.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:28 AM
DKM

2,824 posts, read 1,006,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
You are already at a disadvantage. You should have stated "I am not buying" above.

Are you such a cheap ass that you would subject yourself to such abuse? I have never gone to one, but I have read the stories of many who have. I personally know multiple people who didn't plan on buying but did.
That's like saying don't get a rewards credit card because you'll end up carrying a balance... uh no that doesn't apply to everyone.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 11,971,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That's like saying don't get a rewards credit card because you'll end up carrying a balance... uh no that doesn't apply to everyone.
BUT it does apply to MANY and probably even the MAJORITY of people.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 PM

640 posts, read 239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
BUT it does apply to MANY and probably even the MAJORITY of people.
Sadly, a lot of people don't put in the simplest of math effort into financial decisions. They just see "OMG this resort is sooooooo beautiful" and let their emotions sign the paperwork.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM

5,662 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You don't know me, but I was happy with a timeshare purchase. We bought one on the way to the Orlando airport once about 25 years ago, I had to tell the guy, hurry up with the paperwork, our flight leaves in 2 hours lol. We used it for about 10 years straight in Orlando and then our family situation changed so we sold. Granted, we didn't get back what we paid for it, but to have a 3 bed/3 bath condo to go to with a big family would have cost more than "we lost" on the timeshare.

I think the gift was a boom box.
To whom did you sell? What did you have to do to unload the thing?

Asking for a friend.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 584,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To whom did you sell? What did you have to do to unload the thing?

Asking for a friend.
I called the original salesman and sold it to him. He personally bought it and maybe he resold it since he was still in the business? This was years ago so that might not be possible anymore, I don't know.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:20 PM

817 posts, read 1,431,493 times
I've sat through one of these because my wife wanted to go. There wasn't even a free prize. We walked in with a group of people and I really think many of them were company employees. They really stressed the fact that you could only participate in the presentation once and if you declined the offer, then you were banned for life.

The presenter walked by one of our "group members" and said, are you wearing "blah blah blah" cologne?, group member "I am!!!", presenter "you know we have special deals on that particular cologne that are only available to members!!". Everyone in our group was way too happy, constantly smiling and laughing. I was thinking "ok, just listen to the crap and leave".

However, at the end of the presentation and tour of the facilities, you were personally assigned an employee to sit down with in order to see what deal was most appropriate to you. If you are looking for confrontation and just want to have passive-aggressive fun with them, then I guess it would be an okay way to waste 2 hours of your time. If you flinch at confrontation and have any chance of caving in to a face-to-face passive-aggressive confrontation with someone who is experienced at doing such things, I would recommend not going.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:04 AM

10,203 posts, read 12,245,054 times
Quote:
I dont plan on buying, I just have to sit through the presentation to get the discount
First consider nobody "plans" on buying but its a numbers game so they know if they fill the seats a certain percentage will fall for the pitch!

Then consider your time, what is that worth? To me, if I was on vacation I'd rather pay full price than waste a 1/2 day listening to a pitch. Years ago they would give away 13 inch color tv's if you sat for the pitch.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:46 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
First consider nobody "plans" on buying but its a numbers game so they know if they fill the seats a certain percentage will fall for the pitch!

Then consider your time, what is that worth? To me, if I was on vacation I'd rather pay full price than waste a 1/2 day listening to a pitch. Years ago they would give away 13 inch color tv's if you sat for the pitch.

The hard pressure sales tactics are at such an extreme now that you'll actually waste more than a 1/2 day. It's not like the sales pitches of the past that you could laugh off once you get out of the building. That timeshare pitch I described above was so upsetting it actually left me shaken for the whole day. And I'm in fire/rescue, I've had to deal with some intense things in my career. No matter how much you try to laugh it off, it messes with your head when you're intensely verbally abused, not to mention being threatened with calling the police because we were "committing a crime" ("fraud" for agreeing to listen to the pitch knowing we didn't want to buy ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or