U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 07:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 4,176,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
PS: we've since traveled to Hawaii, Wales, SW England, and France on annual trips. We've spent far less money than the time-share options presented and had a great time in our travels. And we got to stay in the various locations/towns that were of interest to us.

This what a lot of people don't understand. You can go just about anywhere and just use a hotel, VRBO, Airbnb or whatever and pay less than what a timeshare costs. And you can go whenever you want. And you don't have to write a check every year, even if you don't use it. My wife inherited a timeshare. I convinced her to dump it. It made absolutely no sense to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 AM

9,023 posts, read 8,443,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

we did manage one trip to Kauai where we stayed a week in a golf course resort. The place was reasonably nice, but it cost us the $800 membership maintenance fee for the year + a host of other costs on-site. Part of the requirements were that we attend another "1 hour sales presentation", both husband and wife had to attend.

The next year, Mrs Sun spent many hours poring over their site locations and applying for exchanges which would suit our time frame to travel. Nothin' doing, we were blocked out of everything in the PNW, New England, Scotland, Wales, and France. And all our travels were in "off-peak" times. Not only did we need more points but a higher level of membership to access the more desirable properties. So the next year's $800 in maintenance fees was spent for nothing.

We tried to get out of the contract. Nothin' doing, you're in "for life". I talked to the manager of the Colorado resort and he advised that the parent corporation had a buy-back program for folk like us that could not and didn't use the timeshare(s). They have a limited number they take back each year. We had to apply and were approved, but on a "wait list" It was a race between getting rid of the burden or having another year of $800 maintenance fees owed. With only weeks left before that would happen, the "buy back" was approved and processed. What did we get out of it? NOTHING. The "buy-back" is simply a program for the parent corporation to process your "quit claim deed" to them and let you off the hook for any future fees.
I am glad that you were able to get out of this.

This is exactly why timeshares are a terrible idea. You actually have little control over the stay, and they are not a bargain by any means. Looks like you paid $1600 plus a host of other fees for a one week stay. Call it $300/night, could be more. You can stay virtually anywhere in the world for that kind of nightly fee, and this is for some place that you allegedly 'own'. In reality, all you own is a contractual obligation to pay them a lot of money.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:31 AM

664 posts, read 584,803 times
Our best friends invited us to Vegas for a four night trip because they were going out there for the purpose of listening to a sales presentation! We even stayed at the time-share resort and on the day of the presentation, my wife and I rented a car and had a wonderful day in Los Angeles. When we arrived later that night, our friends told us they did not buy.

My friends have a cousin that are time-share owners and they let us use their property. The only catch: go listen to a presentation! Wow, what a great time. By the way; the resort was a disappointment. The rooms were "okay," the equivalent of a 2 or 3 star hotel. Definitely nothing on the level of a Hilton or a Hyatt.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:06 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,142,995 times
It would have to be a helluva discount - like FREE- to get me to sit through one of those.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM

15,983 posts, read 6,292,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
It would have to be a helluva discount - like FREE- to get me to sit through one of those.
See this:

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Two times. In December 1993 my wife and I got drastically reduced prices at Disney World and Sea World for taking such a lecture. In May 1995 my wife won a free trip, all expenses paid trip for us to St. Lucia. We did have to attend a timeshare presentation.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:51 PM

4,348 posts, read 890,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've done about 4 of them. All were free accomodations, as much as 4 days in one case. Worth the 1.5-2 hours of babble I know how to resist.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 AM

4,431 posts, read 1,655,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I dont plan on buying, I just have to sit through the presentation to get the discount
I went thru this in Orlando.

They will push you and try their best to talk you into it. At least that’s what they did to me.

After the general presenstion (a couple of hours), you will need to dodge an assigned sale agent (every participating party gets on) who will have the entire legal paper work ready which will JUST need your signature. If you are not firm enough, they will manage to get your signature - and BOOM! You are locked in.

I went through this crap, and didn’t commit or signed no matter how hard the sale agent tried - she then got up and kinda tossed the entire file in a trash can in front me with a long and frustrating face.

The worse part is, you will waste at least half a day of your vacation - so the discount is not worth in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 AM

2,152 posts, read 734,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
My friends have a cousin that are time-share owners and they let us use their property. The only catch: go listen to a presentation! Wow, what a great time. By the way; the resort was a disappointment. The rooms were "okay," the equivalent of a 2 or 3 star hotel. Definitely nothing on the level of a Hilton or a Hyatt.
Just curious: why was listening to the sales pitch a requirement? I would have expected that since all they were doing was letting someone else use the time that they'd already paid for, you shouldn't have had to go to a presentation. Did the owners get some benefit out of it?

Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM

664 posts, read 584,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Just curious: why was listening to the sales pitch a requirement? I would have expected that since all they were doing was letting someone else use the time that they'd already paid for, you shouldn't have had to go to a presentation. Did the owners get some benefit out of it?
Great question! I really don't know. I did ask them and all he would tell me that in order for him to get the room from his friend, they had to go and listen to the sales pitch. I believe it's because they have been promising his friend and the resort people they were going to buy a time share. I think to "entice" them, the resort gave a discount for a vacation of their choosing? I'm sure we were invited to help pay for the cost of lodging, as we only gave them $350.00 for four nights!

Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 AM

4,431 posts, read 1,655,473 times
I also did some rough math while the agent was trying her best to get my signature and sell me the crap.

The price was $125,000 or something for one owner.
And there were 52 owners of the same condo.

So the company was actually pocketing $6.5 million in sale price for just ONE apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or