U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 AM

4,568 posts, read 2,329,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ten years ago, I never would have believed that I would say this, but Phoenix metro has made HUGE strides in transportation with its new light rail system. And it's still being extended.

You'd be limited to areas of Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe and Mesa. It does not (and likely never will go to Scottsdale). But there are also buses and Uber/Lyft.

The downsides include that it's SLOW. And waiting for a train in the summer heat is a real drag.
on the radio, they were talking about why boston still has the worst traffic even after the big-dig and they mentioned that ride-share programs are starting to take users away from the t so now everyone has their own private drivers which is actually adding congestion to the tunnels.

Atlanta not in top 10 for worst traffic in US. Boston is #1....

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 03-01-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:12 PM

1,189 posts, read 481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Regardless of where you are---if you position yourself correctly,as far as a home is concerned, you can get around pretty well no matter where you live...
This. And thatís especially true nowadays with grocery delivery services like Peapod and all-purpose shopping through sites that deliver like Amazon.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:05 PM

694 posts, read 185,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGardens View Post
Besides the obvious like NYC and Boston are there any cities where you can easily get around without a car? I heard Austin and Seattle have good train systems, is this true? Can you get around Orlando without a car?
What about smaller towns without extensive public transportation system, but where you can get everywhere by walking, biking, public buses and for the elderly and disabled they have a non- emergency transportation services funded by the state?
Everything is relative: let us know the age and family status of the person. What is easy for a single younger person- could be tough in the same town for a family with 3 youngsters...

Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 PM

13,969 posts, read 7,441,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I can't believe that Philadelphia has barely been mentioned in this thread. I grew up and currently live in West Philly (albeit south of Market, near Baltimore Ave now), and I've never needed a car to get around. We are one of the few cities that offers 24/7 service on certain bus routes, and certainly one of the few that has 24 hour subway service on Friday and Saturday nights!

Here is what our rail system looks like:
Philly has really good commuter rail but the subway coverage is thin. It works really well if you live in a leafy suburb and commute to Center City. I used to work 3 days per week in Center City for 3 months coming in on Amtrak. I was staying near Rittenhouse much of the time. If where you were going was beyond reasonable walking distance, you kind of had to Uber. My frame of reference is Boston, NY, and DC where you use the subway system.

Iíve always thought the airport train frequently was weak. It should be every 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Over the years, Iíve had to taxi many times to get to a meeting on time.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:54 PM

13,969 posts, read 7,441,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
What about smaller towns without extensive public transportation system, but where you can get everywhere by walking, biking, public buses and for the elderly and disabled they have a non- emergency transportation services funded by the state?
Everything is relative: let us know the age and family status of the person. What is easy for a single younger person- could be tough in the same town for a family with 3 youngsters...
My town is like that if you live in the right spot. They cut back the bus service shortening the route so I have a 1/2 mile walk to the bus route. There is no evening or Sunday service. It used to come within a block of my house. I have enough things walkable within 1/2 mile that I could survive without a car.

My girlfriend lives in upscale semi urban. If you can afford Whole Foods, you could make it just fine without a car. Really good bus service.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:42 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,019,359 times
The whole SF Bay Area is pretty good as far as public transportation. I don't know how to post a pic of the maps, but if you care, you can find them on Google.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 AM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times
Is the OP only interested in the USA? There are plenty of cities around the world where one doesn't need car such Melbourne, (Australia), London (UK), Guayaquil (Ecuador), Beijing Shanghai (as well as many other Chinese cities), Jerusalem & Tel Aviv (as well as other major Israeli cities), Toronto (at least the center of the city), Hong Kong, etc. to name just a few.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
Isnt LA pretty good? Subway, light rail and extensive commuter rail. My experience is that when there are only buses, that only marginal people ride it: not registered to vote, pay little Federal Income Tax, penny pinchers.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Isnt LA pretty good? Subway, light rail and extensive commuter rail. My experience is that when there are only buses, that only marginal people ride it: not registered to vote, pay little Federal Income Tax, penny pinchers.
Depending on where you live, public transit in LA is actually good. I was able to sightsee there without a car, though you have to plan your itinerary carefully (plot your bus/rail route, group things close by each other, donít overload your day, be patient since the city is so sprawling). The idea that you must rent a car in LA is outdated info in my experience.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:50 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,219,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGardens View Post
Yeah I have heard Miami is managable. I am seeing a lot of Chicago. I'd be worried about crime in both of these cities though. I'll have to look more into them though, thanks. Yes I know a lot of cities outside of the USA have very good transportation in their cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Crime in Chicago is limited to a very few neighborhoods - certainly none of those I listed in my prior post.
Yes, this. I visited a lot, and lived there a little bit. You have to work at it to get to the bad neighborhoods. Really overblown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or