U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 02:08 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGardens View Post
Besides the obvious like NYC and Boston are there any cities where you can easily get around without a car?
It's not about entire cities...
it's about the section/area of a city that can meet -most of- YOUR needs without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:59 AM

5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Most of the time I lived in the D.C. metro area I did not have a car. Between bus and metro you can always get within a few blocks of your destination.

I lived in Austin briefly twenty years ago. A car was essential at that time. I don't know about anymore.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:28 AM

7,100 posts, read 3,460,546 times
St. Petersburg, FL is a great walking city with wonderful water views as you walk around. Decades ago St. Pete was known as God's Waiting Room. It is now hipster central.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,486,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Vancouver BC
Singapore
Bangkok
Hong Kong
Amsterdam,
Madrid
Paris
Copenhagen
London
Tokyo
Osaka
Guangzhou
Most large European cities have excellent Public Transport and things close by so that you could easily do without a car.

In addition to the ones above, Barcelona, Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Budapest are all cities I have visited where you could totally go without a car.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:22 AM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Isnt LA pretty good? Subway, light rail and extensive commuter rail. My experience is that when there are only buses, that only marginal people ride it: not registered to vote, pay little Federal Income Tax, penny pinchers.
I tried to get from the convention center to LAX once as an experiment. 2 subways and a bus. It took forever. I was the only person in business casual on the subway and the only roll-aboard. Bums and bag ladies. Very different from the urban transit systems I use regularly where everyone uses them.

I’m trying to think of a bus-only urban transit system in the US that white collar commuters and affluent residents use. I can’t think of any.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I tried to get from the convention center to LAX once as an experiment. 2 subways and a bus. It took forever. I was the only person in business casual on the subway and the only roll-aboard. Bums and bag ladies. Very different from the urban transit systems I use regularly where everyone uses them.

Iím trying to think of a bus-only urban transit system in the US that white collar commuters and affluent residents use. I canít think of any.
LAX is cumbersome to reach via public transportation, though itís possible. And if you took the Blue and Green lines (which is likely), those are the most ďinner cityĒ feeling ones. Blue in particular.

Youíre better off with a cab or shuttle here.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:15 AM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m trying to think of a bus-only urban transit system in the US
that white collar commuters and affluent residents use. I can’t think of any.
There aren't any I know of either because there really doesn't need to be one.

The white collar and affluent carless who do use transit or might be inclined to more
only need bits and pieces of a system - the one or two route lines going where they'll go day to day.
When they need to go to the airport (or other infrequent distant destination) they'll get a ride

Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,829 times
If you can afford living in the city in Seattle there's not much need for a car. We live here and rarely take the car out unless we're headed for a road trip. Bars, restaurants, grocery stores, medical providers are all within walking distance so there really isn't a big need for public transportation either. We do jump on the light rail if itís pouring.

The thing about Seattle too is that it's relatively small and you can walk from the south end of downtown to the north in 45 minutes or so.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Crime in Chicago is limited to a very few neighborhoods - certainly none of those I listed in my prior post.

That is not correct. Personally, I was assaulted in River North in 2002 at about 10 am on a Saturday morning. The guy walked right up to my wife and I, yelled a few expletives and tried to sucker punch me. Fortunately, my DW was there to restrain me.

While the worst crime areas are in certain areas, you have to be very streetwise when walking around Chicago as you can easily wonder a few blocks into very unsafe areas.

======================

That is one of the problems with riding public transportation in cities that you are not familiar with. Is the neighborhood that you are heading into actually a safe one? For example, head west of the United Center in Chicago and you are not in a great neighborhood. Heading to Wrigley Field on the Red Line is probably very safe. However, head further north and you might have problems at the Howard Station or the Argyle Station.

I have to admit that on several occasions in Chicago, people would stopped me on the street and told me that I was in the "wrong neighborhood" and encouraged me to get back on the bus.

This also happened in NYC when we got off the subway at the wrong station and wondered into Spanish Harlem.

========================

One of the other issues with relying on public transportation while on vacation is that it limits the attractions that you will be able to visit. You are at the mercy of making sure that you catch the last bus and the like. We generally go carless in Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia, and New York. We rent everywhere else.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:48 PM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
LAX is cumbersome to reach via public transportation, though itís possible. And if you took the Blue and Green lines (which is likely), those are the most ďinner cityĒ feeling ones. Blue in particular.

Youíre better off with a cab or shuttle here.

That's why I said I tried it once as an experiment. I've been on far sketchier subways in my life but that's the only time I can remember where I was the obvious only white collar professional on the airport route from the city center.

I've had a few jobs more recently where HQ was somewhere in Orange County. Irvine & Tustin, mostly. From the east coast, the nonstops all go into LAX and I prefer to take nonstops whenever possible and generally avoid John Wayne. There's really no option but to rent a car and you have to pick your departure/arrival times carefully or you get stuck in the traffic jam. I loathe the place for business travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or