U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:17 PM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times

Advertisements

San Francisco, CA I lived there without a car for a while, & an Uncle of mine has no car & lives there, he gets around fine. But he also likes to walk. Of course it is a very expensive city to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 04:49 PM

4,531 posts, read 2,313,883 times
kinda' the opposite premise:
if you can have 1 car in each of the top ten cities:

Old 03-13-2019, 04:59 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,481,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's why I said I tried it once as an experiment. I've been on far sketchier subways in my life but that's the only time I can remember where I was the obvious only white collar professional on the airport route from the city center.

I've had a few jobs more recently where HQ was somewhere in Orange County. Irvine & Tustin, mostly. From the east coast, the nonstops all go into LAX and I prefer to take nonstops whenever possible and generally avoid John Wayne. There's really no option but to rent a car and you have to pick your departure/arrival times carefully or you get stuck in the traffic jam. I loathe the place for business travel.
Ever fly into ONT? That one can be easy to get in and out and onto the highway.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM

1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
I've lived in SF since 1989, and nearly all of it w/o a car.
People (including me) complain about the SF Muni system,
but it's probably the best one in the western states,
and it has improved over the years -- better vehicles
and less graffiti.

Between walking and transit, I get around fine w/o
a vehicle... in fact, owning a car here would be a big hassle.

Many years ago, I lived in the DC area for a little while.
I owned a car then, but I didn't use it for commuting --
Metro bus and rail were better for that.

I suspect if you chose the right neighborhood,
Seattle would also work for car-free living;
probably Portland too. Perhaps even Bellingham, WA;
they have a very impressive bus system.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,005,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's not bad in the SF Bay Area.
Yeah, it kinda is. As someone who's originally from the northeast, I can say it SUCKS in comparison to cities like Boston, Chicago, NYC, etc. I get that it's mostly due to our topography and so forth, but really it couldn't be much worse for such a large metropolitan area... unless you're literally going in that diagonal BART line across the city, anything else is too slow and inaccessible for most people. I used to live in the city itself, but down in the southeast (then southwest) corner, and it was faster just to drive everywhere.

And the South Bay? Ugh. I used to live in Sunnyvale, which is pretty darned "central" to everything; and it would have taken me literally 1.5 hours EACH WAY for my 7-mile commute to work by bus. Took me only 10-15 minutes by car, so it wasn't even a viable option. Hence why we have so many cars here, lol.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,202 posts, read 1,577,785 times
With UBER, nowadays its more feasible than ever to live in a major metropolitan area without a car. And one must remember that walkability is relative.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:40 AM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Isnt LA pretty good? Subway, light rail and extensive commuter rail. My experience is that when there are only buses, that only marginal people ride it: not registered to vote, pay little Federal Income Tax, penny pinchers.
When the Purple Line, down Wilshire to UCLA is completed, along with the Crenshaw line to LAX, you'll have everything you need for an L.A. urban lifestyle without a car. Even with the existing system and their fabulous bus system you don't a car in L.A. to survive.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:24 AM

5,808 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, it kinda is. As someone who's originally from the northeast,
The northeast definitely beats the west, hands down, in terms of public transportation.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:34 PM

1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The northeast definitely beats the west, hands down, in terms of public transportation.
NYC is #1 in the US for transit, of course. But which cities are second, third, fourth, etc.?
Long ago, I lived in DC for a little while, and it has a very goodsystem... could it be #2?
I haven't spent enough time in Chicago or Philly or Boston to opine about their systems.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:09 PM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
NYC is #1 in the US for transit, of course. But which cities are second, third, fourth, etc.?
Long ago, I lived in DC for a little while, and it has a very goodsystem... could it be #2?
I haven't spent enough time in Chicago or Philly or Boston to opine about their systems.
Imo the order is Chicago, DC, Boston, SF, Philly for the Big Six after NYC. But it is all very debatable...so much has to do with where exactly your transportation needs are and the service fluctuations in each of these regions also can affect one's perception during the time they experienced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or