U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:06 PM

1,367 posts, read 550,220 times

Advertisements

I have driven in NYC and Boston many times. Also I have used their Public Transit many times. Both are headaches.

NYC is a complete nightmare for drivers -- much worse than Tokyo and Hong Kong (where I had driven). The drivers are extremely rude. There are numerous roadworks. The cyclists can come out from nowhere. Trucks occupy 2 of the 3 lanes for loading. Parking charge can break your bank. Street parking is well nigh impossible. I saw some guys occupy street parking space as early as 6 am, stay in the car until 10 am when the street cleaning commences, then right away re-occupy the space after it is over and then go to work.

Boston is also a nightmare. The drivers are as rude as those in NYC. No wonder they are nicknamed Mass-holes.
Practically there is no street parking at all in many neighborhoods. Even their own residents have hard time to look for overnight parking. And that is the tightest parking I ever saw.

NYC's subway is a torture. Frequent delays. No AC on the platform. Space is so tight on platform and always worry being pushed down to the track. Rats running around and not afraid of human being. Many delays and the design is dumb. Try going to JFK from Manhattan. Their Airport Rail Express starts in Jamaica which is a joke.

And what the movies show is true -- there are many homeless people sleeping overnight on the train in NYC's subway which many routes run 24/7. I don't understand why it is allowed to happen.

Boston is slightly better. But it is not a subway at all. Most tracks are above ground and the trains run at a snail pace.

Both systems are filthy and need overhaul. I understand the systems are over 100 years old. But that is not an excuse.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 03-21-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM

4,013 posts, read 3,265,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Chicago, Philadelphia, Jersey City, Baltimore,
Seattle, Oakland, Minneapolis, Miami...
Check this annual ranking of walkable and transit friendly US cities:
https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/
I'm pleased Seattle, my home, was no. 8. Mildly surprising. Eastside, Bellevue - Kirkland - Redmond and etc., so-called Eastside, not so much. Bit more car-centric.

Lots of parts of Seattle are definitely walkable, it's getting from one to another one must lean on the bus and rail which can be...not dodgy really, but "adequate." Seems to work okay, by-and-large. Sounds like could be lots worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or