U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 AM

808 posts, read 3,276,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now AA is spending millions of dollars because the Government was embarrassed by Southwest Airlines. AA is getting a bum deal.
Considering the history between AA and Southwest, I would say that it is a bit of karma. Still, AA is not handling this situation well from the customer service standpoint and that is going to be their downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Considering the history between AA and Southwest, I would say that it is a bit of karma. Still, AA is not handling this situation well from the customer service standpoint and that is going to be their downfall.
What exactly do you expect them to do?

This wasn't a planned event. It's not like they could give everybody six months warning.
Half of their entire fleet is on the ground. They put as many people as possible on other airlines. They paid for food, and motels. They brought snacks and drinks to the people in lines. They gave refunds to people that wanted them. The poor girl standing at the counter has had thousands of people screaming at her all day. She can only do so much. She can't crap out an airplane and send people on their merry way.

Life is full of disappointments. Get used to it.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
I'm not sure I buy the MD-80 is built like a tank comment. That may be so, but it is 20+ years old and the chances of failure increases incrementally. I think that the FAA's Southwest office has been a little too cozy with both AA and Southwest. That FAA should be on the side of the passengers not the airlines. So, it is probably an overreaction but it is better to be safe than sorry.

It is time for AA to retire these planes. If AA goes bankrupt so be it. It will actually help the airline industry as a whole.

What is there to not buy about MD-80s being built like tanks?

They are workhorses that were built with thicker material in all places. I have worked on them, and the newer throw away planes. Airbus builds a thin flimsy airplane that is meant to be thrown away. MD-80s, and DC-9s get repaired. Parts on Airbusses get thrown away and replaced. They will be long gone when the Douglas products are still flying.

AA going bankrupt would only help the industry if they went completely out of business. That doesn't happen with real airlines like AA. They have the cash and the confidence to weather the storm.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,275,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
What is there to not buy about MD-80s being built like tanks?

They are workhorses that were built with thicker material in all places. I have worked on them, and the newer throw away planes. Airbus builds a thin flimsy airplane that is meant to be thrown away. MD-80s, and DC-9s get repaired. Parts on Airbusses get thrown away and replaced. They will be long gone when the Douglas products are still flying.

AA going bankrupt would only help the industry if they went completely out of business. That doesn't happen with real airlines like AA. They have the cash and the confidence to weather the storm.
Again, I agree. It's not just the MD-80. I love working on MD-11 and DC-10 aircraft and they too are built like tanks. Admittedly, I'm not as big a fan of the MD-11 as I am the DC-10 but still they are workhorses. I work on Airbus as well and it's like working on Playskool toys. Everything has a cheap, plastic feel to it.

I'll take a Douglas aircraft any day and in all honesty, for the other poster, 20 years isn't really that old as far as airplanes are concerned. I'd say that the majority of airplanes flying around are roughly twenty years old on average.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,474,938 times
When compassion for customers flies out the window - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel