U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:51 AM

1,722 posts, read 601,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah.. there probably is a 'best-weather-route' app / option for GMaps. (just like no tolls) or there SHOULD be!
I'm going to see if I can find something. I also have a new Android phone, which I've yet to have time to figure out how to use. There are hundreds of really cool driving/weather apps... maybe I'll find something.

Quote:
(I sure miss 'Campermate' app from NZ!)
Awesome app. I'm able to pull up KOA places on my Garmin, which is cool.

Quote:
My parents ran (6) trucks / week from SFO to Rochester, NY. Stuff happened (even worse than weather).
Wow, I'll bet. Decades ago, I had a friend who drove a truck for a few years & I went out with him a few times. It was fun, but his company assigned him an older truck & I did arrive at the destination feeling as if my fillings might be loose.

Thanks again, SR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Happy and safe travels!
Thanks DM. I'm a well seasoned traveler, but just not this particular winter route.

We had an avalanche on Hwy 70 not far from me yesterday. Took hours to clean up.

https://kdvr.com/2019/03/03/avalanch...ured-on-video/

I've encountered all kinds of things the many years I've been on the road, including, flash floods, mudslides, wildfires, multiple moose racing across the road (didn't know they traveled in gaggles), having a hawk get into the car through my sunroof, a bear chasing my car (I had a little 2-seater Geo Metro then with a soft roof, so that was the most frightening), a tornado that moved my car down to the next exit, airborne & you know those signs that say 'Falling Rock'? I had to drive around one 2-yrs ago... it was so big that it barely allowed my car to get through, on the windiest road overlooking a frighteningly high cliff in NoCal.

That I can manage. No Starbucks for 400-mi though... unbearable torture.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh really?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 AM

97 posts, read 29,699 times
I have driven I80 from Colorado Springs to Detroit and I70 from Colorado Springs to Dayton. No matter which one you choose, the first day of driving goes through some really boring country. I80 at least follows the Platte, while I70 goes through cow country. After that, I80 you will see more cornfields, I70 you will see more trees.

Which would I choose to drive to PA? I70, as there are more towns along the way and to avoid driving through Chicago (ever see like 10 lanes of freeway in one direction with merges and ramps on both sides?).

Unless you want a Runza, then take I80.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 AM

13,677 posts, read 13,583,473 times
I've done this drive many times (Denver-Trenton). I have always taken I-70. In March, there is still a chance for snow and you don't want to be on I-80 in that situation. My best friend here recently went with I-70 after starting out towards Ohio and learning that snow was in the forecast - she said I-80 would be too risky.

Honestly, my philosophy is that it's going to be a long slog either way. A couple hours doesn't make a difference. Why add further complicating factors?

I haven't had a problem with rest stops on I-70. Illinois has one stretch where you're basically in the middle of nowhere, but otherwise I've felt like I had pretty good access to resources (bathrooms, food, gas stations).

Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
*strange unrelated video of guy sipping drink*
????

Old 03-06-2019, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the additional info.

Everything changed today & my trip was suddenly postponed until the beginning of April. The chance of avalanches on Hwy 70, major snowstorms & bad roads should be greatly reduced by then.

I appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or