U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 AM

629 posts, read 492,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Not my thread, but thanks for all of the great info.

Yes this was my thread and I hugely appreciate all of the great responses. The snobs on the photography forum read my post upwards of 40 times but no one bothered to respond. I generally like travelers better than shutterbugs anyway (even if there's plenty of overlap).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,154,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Yes this was my thread and I hugely appreciate all of the great responses. The snobs on the photography forum read my post upwards of 40 times but no one bothered to respond.
The photography forum here (unlike most) is much more focused on actual photography than on gear discussions. And it's entirely possible that none of the 40 people who looked at your post had a good answer for you, because what you were asking about in your initial post (a new point-and-shoot camera with good low-light performance) basically doesn't exist (because cellphone cameras having nearly killed off the whole category of point-and-shoots). So I wouldn't judge folks on the photography forum as snobs based on not receiving an answer to your question there.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The photography forum here (unlike most) is much more focused on actual photography than on gear discussions. And it's entirely possible that none of the 40 people who looked at your post had a good answer for you, because what you were asking about in your initial post (a new point-and-shoot camera with good low-light performance) basically doesn't exist (because cellphone cameras having nearly killed off the whole category of point-and-shoots). So I wouldn't judge folks on the photography forum as snobs based on not receiving an answer to your question there.

OK fair enough, I understand.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:35 PM

12,913 posts, read 8,740,088 times
Most people today don't shoot with point and shoot cameras anymore unless you are serious about shooting still photography.

Smartphones today can handle majority of closeups with easy and takes pretty good photos. You don't have to carry a bulky camera and lens. A high end smart phone can do the trick and you can also bring attachment lens for smart phones too.

I have a co-worker who used to own a photo studio and he showed me shots that he made with his smart phone and you would probably thought he shot with an expensive camera. It's all about manual mode and how to shoot.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:57 PM

15,224 posts, read 8,523,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have to say that I bought a replacement point & shoot Canon a few years ago just before a trip to Europe because I can easily see the superiority of the photos. But the reality was that it was a minor pita to be carrying around an extra chunk of metal & glass when I was also carrying my iPhone which is an infinitely practical utility.

So lesson learned for me, I just use the smartphone now all the time for photos & potential instant emailing or texting them or to store them in the cloud right away, my new Canon has sat unused in the closet for several trips now. For context I made a living in photography for decades & unless the trip is expressly for photographic reasons I don't want to be hauling around extra weight & looking like a tourist. I also love music & have high end hifi gear that I rarely use anymore since the streaming revolution has simplified this as well for most listening purposes.
It really depends on the purpose of the photos - to immediately share via social media, sure - just use your phone.

But if you want quality photos that you can crop, enlarge, and variously "photoshop" then you need something beyond your phone. Phone cameras will have to get a LOT better before I use mine to do anything as important as document a vacation. Also, I DON'T do selfies - I put all the focus on the subject at hand, not myself taking up most of the frame as selfie-takers tend to do.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It really depends on the purpose of the photos - to immediately share via social media, sure - just use your phone.

But if you want quality photos that you can crop, enlarge, and variously "photoshop" then you need something beyond your phone. Phone cameras will have to get a LOT better before I use mine to do anything as important as document a vacation. Also, I DON'T do selfies - I put all the focus on the subject at hand, not myself taking up most of the frame as selfie-takers tend to do.
Yeah, I don't do selfies or even post much to social media, so we are both outliers really. I won't argue the technical superiority of digital SLR or even a decent point & shoot compared to a good phone camera, although I will confess I'm not up on the best phone cameras vs "p&s" specs at all. I suspect it's getting pretty close at this point & probably down to lens & hardware costs.

But my main point is that when I am traveling for pleasure or with friends for me it is about being present & participating in the moment & not being an observer looking to capture a moment the best technically. Perhaps it is a reaction to all those years when I did it for a living & was recording what was happening but not a part of what was happening. Also as someone who travels for pleasure a bit I feel showing up with a camera puts people on notice right away that I am going to be snapping away around them & that I'm "not from around here"... a tourist, a collector of images, outsider, even a target occasionally.

Perhaps it is all those years of working at this that makes me wax this philosophical, if someone asked me to get pictures of their event I would take a good camera, but if I am on the road for fun & experiences I prefer #1 to travel as light as possible & #2 not see my events through a viewfinder but with both eyes wide open. But it's just my preference for casual photos....

Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,409,614 times
Glad to hear you have enjoyed the RX100 I, it is an amazing camera that invented the entire 1 sensor camera category.

As the former owner of the RX100 I and RX100 III, I cannot emphasize enough the changes after the Version I, all of the changes are far from just video related. I am currently looking at either the RX100 VA or VI.

Anyone that thinks they can get RX100 IQ on a smartphone is sadly mistaken. Yes, a smartphone can be handy and for some it might be all you you need, but something like a RX100 is vastly advanced.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buy...ras-for-travel

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...t-dsc-rx100-m3

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...t-dsc-rx100-iv

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/64...-2018?slide=15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I posted this on the photography forum and surprisingly received no responses despite many people reading it. I thought maybe I'd have more luck on the travel forum. I'm wondering if someone can please recommend a high end point and shoot camera that does well in poor lighting conditions. I love taking photographs on vacation, both of my family and of course of beautiful landscapes and architecture, etc. I'm very much an amateur photographer, and although I don't like the way smartphone photos look when enlarged for our family photo albums, I also don't want to carry a large DSLR or mirrorless camera when travelling. So I've been using point and shoot cameras and am looking to upgrade.

For the past 6 years or so I've used a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-RX-100. It has a great zoom and does very well in good lighting conditions, but I'm generally unhappy with its performance when skies are overcast or gray, etc. (In those conditions, our smartphone photos even seem better.)

Can anyone recommend a high end point and shoot camera that would do well in poor lighting conditions? The Fujifilm X100F is expensive at around $1200 but seems to get great reviews. I don't use video much, so the knock on Fujifilm that video quality is lacking really doesn't matter to me. Conversely, Sony has released newer DSC-RX-100 models in the past 5 years that cost around $1000, but the main improvement seems to be in video quality. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Glad to hear you have enjoyed the RX100 I, it is an amazing camera that invented the entire 1 sensor camera category.

As the former owner of the RX100 I and RX100 III, I cannot emphasize enough the changes after the Version I, all of the changes are far from just video related. I am currently looking at either the RX100 VA or VI.

Anyone that thinks they can get RX100 IQ on a smartphone is sadly mistaken. Yes, a smartphone can be handy and for some it might be all you you need, but something like a RX100 is vastly advanced.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buy...ras-for-travel

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...t-dsc-rx100-m3

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...t-dsc-rx100-iv

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/64...-2018?slide=15

Thank you. I'm actually leaning towards buying the newest Sony RX 100, and as others have suggested, will learn how to use its many features and will not just use automatic mode for everything. I really like that it fits in your pocket, and the Fujifilm's lack of a zoom is a deal breaker for me.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,409,614 times
This site provides a good comparison of the changes in the RX100 series over the years:

Reviewer picks the m6 as the choice for travel and the m5A for vlogging.

https://www.photoworkout.com/sony-dsc-rx100-comparison/

Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
This site provides a good comparison of the changes in the RX100 series over the years:

Reviewer picks the m6 as the choice for travel and the m5A for vlogging.

https://www.photoworkout.com/sony-dsc-rx100-comparison/
Awesome, thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or