U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:31 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,487,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have an Olympus micro 4/3 camera body and four lenses for it. The 14-150mm zoom is really flexible for travel photography. (Equivalent to a 28-300mm on a 35mm camera). Iím kind of embarrassed to admit that Iíve stopped traveling with it. I use my iPhone X for everything.
That is embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 04:20 PM

1,806 posts, read 2,412,594 times
I could never settle on any smartphone for capturing moments while on travel, not lugging around a micro 4/3 camera body with one or four lenses.

Compact pocket 1Ē sensor camera for travel or general use is ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have an Olympus micro 4/3 camera body and four lenses for it. The 14-150mm zoom is really flexible for travel photography. (Equivalent to a 28-300mm on a 35mm camera). Iím kind of embarrassed to admit that Iíve stopped traveling with it. I use my iPhone X for everything.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:41 PM

1,350 posts, read 588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Original poster here. Thanks for following up Reston!

I'm still debating and digesting all of the extremely helpful information that was given to me. Leaning toward going with one of the newest Sony DSC-RX 100 (either V or VI) point and shoot cameras, and really learning to use its features outside of automatic mode. My Sony DSC-RX 100 is the first model and is over 6 years old. I think the specs have improved on the newer models such that it's worth the upgrade.

Lots of great suggestions for mirrorless and DSLR cameras, but since I always travel with our 5 year old daughter I'm really not in a positing to be lugging a large camera with me. It's very tempting when I look at picture quality, but I'm the kind of person who likes my hands to be free and to not even have my pockets overstuffed. I'm not going to be happy with a camera perpetually around my neck, so the high end point and shoot is likely my best bet. Thanks!
Night and Day. I have the RX100 IV and it is much better than the original. The V adds faster performance. The VI is really another camera, however. It adds additional zoom at the cost of a slower lens. So you have to decide what matters to you.

I also carry the RX1R II. It's a little bigger than the RX100, but you get a fast lens attached to a full frame 42mp sensor.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 04-06-2019 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 04:42 PM

17,282 posts, read 10,200,031 times
The last time I bought a point and shoot camera was 2012 I think a Canon Powershot. I used to be one of those that always thought you needed a decent digital camera to take nice pictures, so I periodically bought a new one every few years.

That slowly changed and past few years I only took my Android phone and it takes very good pictures. Beats having to carry both a camera and a cell phone in your pockets.

I do understand there are some that still prefer regular cameras, especially if you are into pro shots.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:54 PM

1,350 posts, read 588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The last time I bought a point and shoot camera was 2012 I think a Canon Powershot. I used to be one of those that always thought you needed a decent digital camera to take nice pictures, so I periodically bought a new one every few years.

That slowly changed and past few years I only took my Android phone and it takes very good pictures. Beats having to carry both a camera and a cell phone in your pockets.

I do understand there are some that still prefer regular cameras, especially if you are into pro shots.
I carry around a Google Pixel 2 and it does take amazing shots compared to other phones. But it's just so far behind the compact camera discussed by the OP. Even for just general vacationing shots. Maybe one day phones will be there, but it's not there yet.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 AM

629 posts, read 492,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Night and Day. I have the RX100 IV and it is much better than the original. The V adds faster performance. The VI is really another camera, however. It adds additional zoom at the cost of a slower lens. So you have to decide what matters to you.

I also carry the RX1R II. It's a little bigger than the RX100, but you get a fast lens attached to a full frame 42mp sensor.

Texas which version would you recommend for the best performance in low light conditions? I rarely use more than a 2 to 3 times optical zoom, so I'm not sure I need to add additional zoom at the cost of a slower lens. Maybe the V is the best bet for my needs?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Agree. Smartphones are convenient, but not quite on par with a 1" sensor.

Also, when on travel, sure don't like giving my phone to someone else to take a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I carry around a Google Pixel 2 and it does take amazing shots compared to other phones. But it's just so far behind the compact camera discussed by the OP. Even for just general vacationing shots. Maybe one day phones will be there, but it's not there yet.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:07 AM

If wanting best low light conditions, definitely go with the Sony RX100 VA.

Quote:
Texas which version would you recommend for the best performance in low light conditions? I rarely use more than a 2 to 3 times optical zoom, so I'm not sure I need to add additional zoom at the cost of a slower lens. Maybe the V is the best bet for my needs?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 AM

629 posts, read 492,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
If wanting best low light conditions, definitely go with the Sony RX100 VA.

Thanks so much Reston. Sounds like a plan.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 PM

No problem, but if you’ve got a really good smartphone something like the RX100 VI might compliment it better.

https://sonyalphalab.com/blog/2018/0...-best-for-you/

https://sonyalphalab.com/blog/2018/0...and-same-size/

Quote:
Thanks so much Reston. Sounds like a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or