U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 AM

629 posts, read 494,265 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the photography forum and surprisingly received no responses despite many people reading it. I thought maybe I'd have more luck on the travel forum. I'm wondering if someone can please recommend a high end point and shoot camera that does well in poor lighting conditions. I love taking photographs on vacation, both of my family and of course of beautiful landscapes and architecture, etc. I'm very much an amateur photographer, and although I don't like the way smartphone photos look when enlarged for our family photo albums, I also don't want to carry a large DSLR or mirrorless camera when travelling. So I've been using point and shoot cameras and am looking to upgrade.

For the past 6 years or so I've used a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-RX-100. It has a great zoom and does very well in good lighting conditions, but I'm generally unhappy with its performance when skies are overcast or gray, etc. (In those conditions, our smartphone photos even seem better.)

Can anyone recommend a high end point and shoot camera that would do well in poor lighting conditions? The Fujifilm X100F is expensive at around $1200 but seems to get great reviews. I don't use video much, so the knock on Fujifilm that video quality is lacking really doesn't matter to me. Conversely, Sony has released newer DSC-RX-100 models in the past 5 years that cost around $1000, but the main improvement seems to be in video quality. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:07 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,334,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Can anyone recommend a high end point and shoot camera that would do well in poor lighting conditions? The Fujifilm X100F is expensive at around $1200 but seems to get great reviews. I don't use video much, so the knock on Fujifilm that video quality is lacking really doesn't matter to me. Conversely, Sony has released newer DSC-RX-100 models in the past 5 years that cost around $1000, but the main improvement seems to be in video quality. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I don't have a point and shoot, but right after reading your first paragraph I was going to suggest the DSC-RX-100, then read further you already had that!

Not sure how better the newer models of the RX-100 are. If you want good low light, just look for cameras with f/1.8-2.8 like the Sony has. Reading the specs for the Fujifilm X100F which has a f/2 aperture that should be great in low light, my only concern is that it seems to have a fixed focal length of 23mm (35 mm equivalent), where as the Sony (I to V models) has a 8.8 to 25.7mm (24 to 70mm equivalent) lens. But if having a fixed 35mm equivalent focal length is not an issue for you, then look for other cameras like that with a large aperture.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I don't have a point and shoot, but right after reading your first paragraph I was going to suggest the DSC-RX-100, then read further you already had that!

Not sure how better the newer models of the RX-100 are. If you want good low light, just look for cameras with f/1.8-2.8 like the Sony has. Reading the specs for the Fujifilm X100F which has a f/2 aperture that should be great in low light, my only concern is that it seems to have a fixed focal length of 23mm (35 mm equivalent), where as the Sony (Mark I to V) has a 8.8 to 25.7mm (24 to 70mm equivalent) lens. But if having a fixed 35mm equivalent focal length is not an issue for you, then look for other cameras like that with a large aperture.

Thanks so much cjseliga! My understanding is that the newer models of the Sony RX-100 have mostly improved video and added a few bells and whistles, while not improving image quality. I've been reading a lot of Amazon reviews and people seem to praise the Fujifilm X100F's performance in low light conditions, which is precisely the problem I'm trying to address. (The Sony was awesome in a place like Sedona where we had blue skies and great light on the red rock; it underperformed in Norway where it was constantly gray and overcast in the fjords region.)

I am not super familiar with what having a fixed 35mm equivalent focal length means. Can you please explain what the downside of that is?

Old 03-07-2019, 08:30 AM

7,330 posts, read 4,179,262 times
Quote:
I am not super familiar with what having a fixed 35mm equivalent focal length means. Can you please explain what the downside of that is?
Simple: no zoom, and no wide angle. You're locked into a set focal length.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:40 AM

7,330 posts, read 4,179,262 times
Quote:
(The Sony was awesome in a place like Sedona where we had blue skies and great light on the red rock; it underperformed in Norway where it was constantly gray and overcast in the fjords region.)
That may not be under-performance so much as accurately recording the scene. Overcast skies results in very even, diffuse lighting, which can make landscapes look very flat and dull (as shadows and contrast are lacking). No camera can fix that issue.

Finding a quality, fast point-and shoot that's a real improvement over what you already own is going to be tough, as that product category is dying (replaced by smartphones). In addition to the Sony and Fujifilm models already mentioned, you might consider adding an Olympus m4/3s PEN camera to your list. It's not a point-and-shoot but a mirrorless design, but it's styled to be quite compact, and when fitted out with a pancake prime or a short telephoto lens it makes a very compact package.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Simple: no zoom, and no wide angle. You're locked into a set focal length.

Wow, no zoom at all is terrible. My Sony has a 20 times optical zoom and I frequently use zoom in my travel photography. That sounds like a deal breaker. Thank you both for noting and clarifying that.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That may not be under-performance so much as accurately recording the scene. Overcast skies results in very even, diffuse lighting, which can make landscapes look very flat and dull (as shadows and contrast are lacking). No camera can fix that issue.

Finding a quality, fast point-and shoot that's a real improvement over what you already own is going to be tough, as that product category is dying (replaced by smartphones). In addition to the Sony and Fujifilm models already mentioned, you might consider adding an Olympus m4/3s PEN camera to your list. It's not a point-and-shoot but a mirrorless design, but it's styled to be quite compact, and when fitted out with a pancake prime or a short telephoto lens it makes a very compact package.

Thank you very much and I will look into the Olympus.

Re: reflecting the scene, you're absolutely right that overcast skies make for a dull, flat look, and I did not expect the Sony to make the dreadfully gray Sognefjord look like it was under blue skies (although I wish it could!) What annoyed me is that our smartphone did a better job of capturing the beauty of the Norwegian scenery, as the smartphone pictures looked less flat and dull than did the Sony ones. We just came back from a great trip down south, and the same thing happened in gray, overcast Savannah.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:57 AM

11,163 posts, read 8,570,826 times
I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix A900.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 AM

1,789 posts, read 576,722 times
There are sooooooo many options. I have found this site’s “buying guide” to be useful in comparing cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

Their reviews are useful too.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews?category=cameras

Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
There are sooooooo many options. I have found this site’s “buying guide” to be useful in comparing cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

Their reviews are useful too.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews?category=cameras

Great responses on this thread - thanks so much everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or