U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:01 AM

1,827 posts, read 782,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I think people - even seasoned flyers - needlessly complicate the process by dressing improperly.

1. Wear pants that don't need a belt, and ideally have plastic buttons instead of zippers.
2. Wear T shirts without metal.
3. Take everything out of your pockets and put them in your bag. That includes packs of gum with their foil wrappers.
4. (for non-US travelers), wear a pair of grandpa slippers so you don't have to take your footwear off. Swap for your shoes afterwards.

Easy peasy.
And if you have prescreening and don't need to take off your shoes don't wear boots ;-) I had to take them off or go through the scanner. I chose to take them off because I hate that scanner. I didn't realize that all boots, even the fancy ladies boots, have metal in them to help hold the shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I haven't flown for a VERY long time and I don't know the current procedures. I'm pretty clear on how you take out your electronics for screening, but I need to bring a power bank (a regular-sized one, for a phone) in my carry-on bag, yet I never see any instructions on how those are to be packed in your bag or handled at screening time. Are they considered an electronic device? Do they need to be placed in the bins? Or do they stay in your bag, like a curling iron would?

(I know lithium power banks aren't allowed in checked baggage, I'm talking about carry-on where they are allowed.)

Also, what about your personal bag (like a purse or messenger bag), I assume those are screened as well? Do you empty your purse of these "bin" items at the same time as your carry-on bag? Sorry, I never see any info about this on TSA instruction sites.

I plan to take a messenger bag with me as my personal item, it fits the size guidelines for my airline but I don't know what TSA expects me to do with it.

Also, they don't seem to want you to put your phone in the bin, so what should you do with your phone? Carry it through the passenger scanner with you? I'm a bit confused.
Where are you going? Power banks are iffy most places I was fine with it in my purse but China security took it from me @ the airport.

Phone out, laptop out. Usually that's it.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:54 AM

18 posts, read 6,773 times
Wow... will a metal zipper on my jeans really cause a problem in the walkthrough scanner? :-(

Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaDeValery View Post
Wow... will a metal zipper on my jeans really cause a problem in the walkthrough scanner? :-(
No. It won't. The vast majority of travelers are wearing pants that involve a zipper.

The only time any of my clothing has ever presented a problem was when I wore a tee-shirt that had a lot of teeny tiny little rhinestones. I went through the scanner, and the TSA agent started laughing and pointed at the screen behind me. I turned around to look at the screen with my body outline, and there were dozens of little boxes (those highlight the areas of concern) all over my torso.

I was rewarded with a pat down (which is NOT as violating as some would have you believe) and a swab of my hands. Lesson learned.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:13 AM

38,113 posts, read 14,885,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I think people - even seasoned flyers - needlessly complicate the process by dressing improperly.

1. Wear pants that don't need a belt, and ideally have plastic buttons instead of zippers.
2. Wear T shirts without metal.
3. Take everything out of your pockets and put them in your bag. That includes packs of gum with their foil wrappers.
4. (for non-US travelers), wear a pair of grandpa slippers so you don't have to take your footwear off. Swap for your shoes afterwards.

Easy peasy.
Bingo.

Don't wear metal.

Not belt buckles, underwire bras, wrist watches, snaps, coins, metal jewelry, ... nothing metal. Sounds like metal zippers are okay. I'd go with nylon one though just to avoid any fuss and bother.

Also, don't carry body powder in your carryon.

For some reason, powder, even when the canister is in a zip loc bag, confuses the sensor that detects explosives.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Metal zippers cause zero fuss or bother. Wear your metal zippered jeans and pants. Same with your underwire bras and standard jewelry (wedding rings, simple necklaces, small earrings, etc.

I've been known to go through the scanner wearing jeans (with metal zipper and metal button), an underwire bra, a ring, necklace and earrings, all at the same time (GASP!) and none of them have caused alert.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,284,898 times
I am going to have 2 small digital audio recorders, 2 small microphone sets (small capsules attached to cables) and battery boxes (small squares slightly bigger than the 9 volt it contains) with additional cables.

What do I do?

Old 03-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I am going to have 2 small digital audio recorders, 2 small microphone sets (small capsules attached to cables) and battery boxes (small squares slightly bigger than the 9 volt it contains) with additional cables.

What do I do?
Leave them in your bag and put it on the conveyor belt. They may opt to screen by hand, if they can't make out what everything is on xray. Just follow their instructions and don't reach for your bag until they say it's okay.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,092,150 times
I keep all my cables and small electronics in a small bag/pouch within my backpack in order to better keep track of it all. If there’s ever an issue, easy enough to pull that smaller bag out for hand screening

Old 03-10-2019, 02:05 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,690,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Metal zippers cause zero fuss or bother. Wear your metal zippered jeans and pants. Same with your underwire bras and standard jewelry (wedding rings, simple necklaces, small earrings, etc.

I've been known to go through the scanner wearing jeans (with metal zipper and metal button), an underwire bra, a ring, necklace and earrings, all at the same time (GASP!) and none of them have caused alert.
Scanner settings vary from one airport to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or