U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:10 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,388,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
None of the info provided in this thread actually comes from an official source. Here is the main page from the EU website:

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Security Union: Commission welcomes the European Parliament's adoption of the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and a stronger eu-LISA Agency

My understanding is that all travelers will need an ETIAS authorization but minors wonít need to pay the 7 euro fee.
Or seniors over 70
Quote from above link:
"Travellers will have to pay a one-off Ä7 fee (for travellers between 18 and 70 years old) and the authorisation issued will be valid for three years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 11:28 PM

956 posts, read 1,773,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Or seniors over 70
Quote from above link:
"Travellers will have to pay a one-off Ä7 fee (for travellers between 18 and 70 years old) and the authorisation issued will be valid for three years."
As much as I looked on pages like this( https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/eti...ies-need-etias ), do people over 70 need to apply for ETIAS and pay the 7 Euros fee, in order to travel into Europe starting in 2021? That page I linked to, was vague and didn't say any specifics whether all travelers(including those under 18) had to pay the 7 Euro fee to apply for ETIAS visa authorization, or not. I thought all travelers will have to do that(i.e. if you're from the US, Canada, etc) starting in 2021, but maybe I'm wrong. Just trying to understand correctly, here.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 PM

8,034 posts, read 2,817,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
As much as I looked on pages like this( https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/eti...ies-need-etias ), do people over 70 need to apply for ETIAS and pay the 7 Euros fee, in order to travel into Europe starting in 2021? That page I linked to, was vague and didn't say any specifics whether all travelers(including those under 18) had to pay the 7 Euro fee to apply for ETIAS visa authorization, or not. I thought all travelers will have to do that(i.e. if you're from the US, Canada, etc) starting in 2021, but maybe I'm wrong. Just trying to understand correctly, here.

My understanding is that regardless of age you will need to apply for ETIAS, but people under 18 or over 70 will not have to pay the 7 Euro.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,350,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
they’ll only keep making it more expensive and difficult to obtain over the years.

This is where it is going, possibly based on a 'social credit score'? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Added to the current biometric data embedded in many passports. Not much left of your life after that which can't be swiped at any border crossing.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:53 AM

11,596 posts, read 3,967,095 times
On a positive note, the UK is not a participant in Schenghen, and is currently trying to leave the EU.

So you can visit London and the UK without forking out seven euros.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:55 AM

15,061 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Iím wondering about DUI convictions. Those already keep you out of Canada unless you jump through hoops. Another reason to never drink and drive.

Geoff (or anybody): I've never heard of that. How long do they look back? (a long ago, embarrassing oopsie in the family, I'm sorry to say.)

Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Geoff (or anybody): I've never heard of that. How long do they look back? (a long ago, embarrassing oopsie in the family, I'm sorry to say.)
My ex-husband got a DUI about 15 years ago & yup he could not go to Canada ... (maybe he can now but Canada is really strict about letting ppl in if they have anything on their record)

Old 03-10-2019, 12:35 PM

1,649 posts, read 776,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My ex-husband got a DUI about 15 years ago & yup he could not go to Canada ... (maybe he can now but Canada is really strict about letting ppl in if they have anything on their record)
Canada has access to US criminal records. You may still be able to go to Canada with the DUI or other crime, but will have to apply for a visa at a Canadian consulate or embassy.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:57 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Perhaps the wording of this press release will help (Bolding mine)

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Security Union: A European Travel Information and Authorisation System - Questions & Answers

"All non-EU nationals who do not need a visa to travel to the Schengen area will have to apply for a travel authorisation through the ETIAS system prior to their trip"

"An electronic payment of a €7 fee for each application will be required for all applicants between the ages of 18 and 70."

So all non-EU nationals applies, only children and seniors do NOT pay the fee.

Also FYI,
"
In case of an inability to apply (due to age, literacy level, access to and competence on information technology etc.) applications may be submitted by a third person."

Old 03-10-2019, 01:23 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Itís not a visa. Itís a permit. You go to a web site, pay 7 Euros, fill out the form, it does a security check, and you save/print the permit. Itís supposed to be a couple of minutes. If you fail the security screening, itís processed manually and a human decides if you can be admitted to Europe. I imagine you will be asked for your etias permit number along with your passport information when you check in for a flight to Europe. No different from entering your known traveler number for TSA Pre.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Iím wondering about DUI convictions. Those already keep you out of Canada unless you jump through hoops. Another reason to never drink and drive.

7 Euros isnít gonna kill me. Way cheaper and less hassle than getting TSA Pre, Global Entry, or NEXUS. Iíve had visa applications that were a PITA and required a trip to the consulate. This is trivial.

If this is really about doing a security check, then why don't they accept Global Entry on a reciprocal basis? I think its more of a poke in the eye because they don't like our president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel