U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 01:41 PM

11,594 posts, read 3,967,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Canada has access to US criminal records. You may still be able to go to Canada with the DUI or other crime, but will have to apply for a visa at a Canadian consulate or embassy.
Countries can access criminal records from amother country via Interpol, however it is a costly and time consuming process.

In terms of individuals that can't travel to the US, they would be people who have been stenced to prison for a total of four years or have been convicted pf a serious violent or sexual offence.

The main information that is flagged involves those on terror watchlists or those convicted of violence and sexual offences who have been put on a special register, usually these individuals have to inform the police they are going to leave the country.

More trivial offences, especially those resulting in less than 12 months in prison are not generally a problem when travelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If this is really about doing a security check, then why don't they accept Global Entry on a reciprocal basis? I think its more of a poke in the eye because they don't like our president.
It's been under discussion long before Current White House resident; it's just that it's cat-herding to get all the agreements and approvals in place from all needed EU/Schengen zone countries.

And like many other countries out there, it's a reciprocal penalty that exists because the USA already charges a visa fee or visa waiver fee for citizens of the other country to visit America rather than something that significantly improves border security.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:06 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,690,715 times
It's not a visa. It's just an electronic authorization. Americans/Canadians, with their privilege, will never understand what it is like to be a Third World national and apply for real visas.

Electronic authorizations, whether are for Americans/Canadians visiting Europe, or vice-versa, or either of them visiting Australia, take a few minutes to apply for, cost a few dollars, and don't require any documentation apart from your passport and ID which you will need anyway to travel.

A real visa costs hundreds of dollars (or thousands, if you're unlucky enough to be from a third world country without the relevant embassy present, in which case you have to visit the nearest other third world country with the Euro/American/Canadian embassy you want, and probably also apply for a visa for that third world country, becausse third world countries also treat each other's citizens like crap), interviews, extensive debriefing about your schooling, employment history, etc., salary certificates, proof of ownership of property, the list goes on and on and on. Younger people are treated with particular suspicion, but it is younger people who are more likely to have the ability to travel and want to explore new sights.

99.99% of North Americans wouldn't have the ability, patience or emotional stoicism to apply for an actual visa if they had to go through this process.
I actually wish the European Union would require genuine visas from US travelers. Enough of this modern-day racism that treats people unequally because of the passport they hold. People ought to be judged on who they are, not on their papers.

Last edited by arctic_gardener; 03-10-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If this is really about doing a security check, then why don't they accept Global Entry on a reciprocal basis? I think its more of a poke in the eye because they don't like our president.
Oh, stop complaining. Read my comment above.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
It's not a visa....
A real visa costs hundreds of dollars (or thousands,....Younger people are treated with particular suspicion, but it is younger people who are more likely to have the ability to travel and want to explore new sights.

I actually wish the European Union would require genuine visas from US travelers. Enough of this modern-day racism that treats people unequally because of the passport they hold. People ought to be judged on who they are, not on their papers.
And you are expressing this to those of us with our 50+ page passports full of visas from 3rd world countries for some reason We are lucky? (not all of us are US(A)), or USA based), You are lucky? We are all lucky EXCEPT you?, You feel there is racism in immigration (+/-) all immigration?

Young travelers are under a curse of border regulations? (I have not noticed this, and my kids & <age 25 coworkers travel all over the world everyday) 3 young friends left for international trips this weekend. Many serving in 3rd world countries.

1) ?

Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 PM

994 posts, read 380,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
It's not a visa. It's just an electronic authorization. Americans/Canadians, with their privilege, will never understand what it is like to be a Third World national and apply for real visas.

Electronic authorizations, whether are for Americans/Canadians visiting Europe, or vice-versa, or either of them visiting Australia, take a few minutes to apply for, cost a few dollars, and don't require any documentation apart from your passport and ID which you will need anyway to travel.

A real visa costs hundreds of dollars (or thousands, if you're unlucky enough to be from a third world country without the relevant embassy present, in which case you have to visit the nearest other third world country with the Euro/American/Canadian embassy you want, and probably also apply for a visa for that third world country, becausse third world countries also treat each other's citizens like crap), interviews, extensive debriefing about your schooling, employment history, etc., salary certificates, proof of ownership of property, the list goes on and on and on. Younger people are treated with particular suspicion, but it is younger people who are more likely to have the ability to travel and want to explore new sights.

99.99% of North Americans wouldn't have the ability, patience or emotional stoicism to apply for an actual visa if they had to go through this process.
Youíre right. Next time I renew my visa for (fill in the blank), Iíll demand to be treated like (again, fill in the blank).

Lol

I donít make the rules, I do follow them however.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And you are expressing this to those of us with our 50+ page passports full of visas from 3rd world countries for some reason We are lucky? (not all of us are US(A)), or USA based), You are lucky? We are all lucky EXCEPT you?, You feel there is racism in immigration (+/-) all immigration?

Young travelers are under a curse of border regulations? (I have not noticed this, and my kids & <age 25 coworkers travel all over the world everyday) 3 young friends left for international trips this weekend. Many serving in 3rd world countries.

1) ?
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Do you want a cookie for having 50+ visas from third world countries? Surely, I don't have to explain that they are much easier to obtain for an American than a US visa is for a third worlder.

How unsurprisingly nice that your American kids are able to "travel the world". That is precisely the point I was making in my original comment.

I think you on the other hand completely missed my point.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Youíre right. Next time I renew my visa for (fill in the blank), Iíll demand to be treated like (again, fill in the blank).

Lol

I donít make the rules, I do follow them however.
You don't have to be treated like ___, but you can lobby your own government to ease off on the modern-day racism entrenched in unequal visa rules. If you are American, do you know that your government allows visa-free access to EU citizens and not to those of Third World countries? Do you find this fair?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 PM

3,901 posts, read 3,581,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Iím wondering about DUI convictions. Those already keep you out of Canada unless you jump through hoops. Another reason to never drink and drive.
What?! When did that start, and does that apply to Americans? How many DUI convictions "keep you out of Canada"? For the record I've never been denied entry to Canada, and I've travelled there by car, train, bus, bicycle, and on foot.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 AM

1,199 posts, read 435,162 times
So what?

..and who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel