U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Reputation: 15661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I disagree with your explanation (EU vs. USA). There's absolutely no evidence that this somehow is retaliation for the ESTA. ETIAS will apply to visitors from all visa-exempt countries regardless of whether or not they have an ESTA-like system into place.

EU politicians and bureaucrats are responding to public pressure as everybody is asking governments to do something about the risk of terrorism, and there's a perception that this may improve things in some way.

I find it hard to believe that this is related to terrorism. Not after the EU has allowed the unvetted moslem hordes in by the millions. And they're anxious for even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Reputation: 15661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow I'm a serious Desperado. I had 2 DUI's in the late 1980s and yet I traveled routinely to Canada without ever being asked about it. Even went there a couple times while my license was under suspension!



You must look like an upstanding citizen! It's quite possible that scanning your passport doesn't trigger a background check. Should Canadian Customs ever do one, then you'll be flagged every time your passport is scanned. When my wife's son and his friend tried to enter Canada they were driving motorcycles, and everyone knows scruffy looking people who ride motorcycles need to be vetted more thoroughly. Canadian Customs may have accessed APSIN, NLETS or even Courtview, which is a publicly accessible Alaska Court System database showing all criminal convictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Reputation: 48857
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If this is really about doing a security check, then why don't they accept Global Entry on a reciprocal basis? I think its more of a poke in the eye because they don't like our president.
I think it's a well deserved "poke in the eye" because they don't like trump. Most Americans did not vote for him and don't like him either. (not my opinion, a fact) .

Trump has turned his back on our allies and kissed the nether parts of totalitarian dictators, like Putin.

At the end of the day, Americans who travel internationally, will continue to do so.

However, they have made their point, and I don't blame them in the least.

I hope that we can earn back the respect of the world in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,905 posts, read 3,583,246 times
Reputation: 7183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That’s before the law was changed where states had to log DUI convictions to the National Driver Register or lose Federal highway funds. That happened in 1998. The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century. The FBI picks up the convictions from that registry and Canada has access to the FBI database.
Whew, 1998! Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I got my wild oats in a decade before that.


And I guess the unpaid 1993 parking ticket in Montreal somehow got lost, too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,905 posts, read 3,583,246 times
Reputation: 7183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Canada has direct access to the US records without going through Interpol



More info here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ssibility.html
Quote:
"Reasons you may be inadmissible to Canada... [emphasis added]


having an inadmissible family member."

Well, that's interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 AM
 
2,288 posts, read 3,934,133 times
Reputation: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I find it hard to believe that this is related to terrorism. Not after the EU has allowed the unvetted moslem hordes in by the millions. And they're anxious for even more.
Political commentary aside, my point was that the ‘EU retaliation’ argument is not grounded in facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 PM
 
3,274 posts, read 3,693,861 times
Reputation: 5438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I find it hard to believe that this is related to terrorism. Not after the EU has allowed the unvetted moslem hordes in by the millions. And they're anxious for even more.
Perhaps they want to keep Caucasian American gun fanboys out of their territory, and I don't blame them. Terror doesn't only emanate from the Islamic world. Honestly, the EU should be placing full visa restrictions on Americans because of their gun obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Reputation: 15661
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Perhaps they want to keep Caucasian American gun fanboys out of their territory, and I don't blame them. Terror doesn't only emanate from the Islamic world. Honestly, the EU should be placing full visa restrictions on Americans because of their gun obsession.

That's an absolutely ridiculous assertion. Americans are not bringing any firearms to Europe except in extremely limited circumstances for specific purposes that meet all laws and regulations. Don't let your hoplophobia get the better of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 03:03 PM
 
13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Reputation: 25389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think it's a well deserved "poke in the eye" because they don't like trump.

Nah. This is not a United States thing. Everybody who is not an EU citizen has to do it. In a few weeks, that probably includes the Brits.


I've been hit with big hassle visa things that were retaliation against US immigration policy. Chile has a huge visa fee that only Americans pay. It has to be cash and in US dollars. At the airport in Santiago, there is a huge line all the Americans have to stand in to pay the fee and get the stamp in their passport. It's good for the life of the passport but I've stood in that line a few times. There's no way to do it online in advance or at a consulate in advance. Pure retaliation for the way US immigration treats Chile travelers. I don't blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Manhattan, NYC
900 posts, read 631,213 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sounds similar as Australia ETA visa required for USA visitors.

A bit of 'reciprocal' pay-back.

Govt's like anything to do with increasing their pay collection.

Agree it is a PITA for travelers. Especially when you don't know ahead of time.
It's a bit more than just the USA. I know, because I remember an ETA I had to take before taking the flight, or something like that, when I went to Australia.

Australian Tourist Visa - Australian Visa Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top