Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:58 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If this is really about doing a security check, then why don't they accept Global Entry on a reciprocal basis? I think its more of a poke in the eye because they don't like our president.
No country accepts any kind of "reciprocity" when it comes to security. Unless they are part of an union, like the EU maybe. So they will all do their things if it's required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Canada has access to US criminal records. You may still be able to go to Canada with the DUI or other crime, but will have to apply for a visa at a Canadian consulate or embassy.
I think you have to apply for some kind of letter of rehabilitation.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What?! When did that start, and does that apply to Americans? How many DUI convictions "keep you out of Canada"? For the record I've never been denied entry to Canada, and I've travelled there by car, train, bus, bicycle, and on foot.
It does apply to Americans - all the info is on Canada's site similar to travel.state.gov … after a certain amount of years I don't think they care but it stays on for a while. I think like after 15 years you are 'rehabilitated' and can go … IDK. I don't drink & drive so … but my ex-husband had one.

They are considered felonies there.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's the first time I'd heard that a reckless driving conviction will keep you out of Canada. For many years, DUI conviction certainly will unless you jump through hoops to clear up the personal non grata status.

A Google turned up this so it's apparently a recent law change:

Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction
Wow Canada is not playing around!

Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It does apply to Americans - all the info is on Canada's site similar to travel.state.gov … after a certain amount of years I don't think they care but it stays on for a while. I think like after 15 years you are 'rehabilitated' and can go … IDK. I don't drink & drive so … but my ex-husband had one.

Thanks, someone else had answered about that and it turns out they started the crackdown in 1998 which was 10 years after my last DUI.

But the weird thing is, even in the mid 1990's and early 2000's I would get a Canadian proof-of-insurance card from State Farm and they never asked me about any DUI's, just issued the card proving I had valid insurance in Canada. This is why I'm perplexed about all this "serious criminal behavior that will keep you out of Canada" jazz.

BTW nobody at the border ever asked if I had valid insurance to drive in Canada but maybe they do now.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
BTW nobody at the border ever asked if I had valid insurance to drive in Canada but maybe they do now.

I've never been asked about insurance. Never heard of the Canadian proof of insurance either. And I've driven through Canada a dozen times or more in the past five years. All I need is the regular insurance card issued by my insurance provider.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never been asked about insurance. Never heard of the Canadian proof of insurance either. And I've driven through Canada a dozen times or more in the past five years. All I need is the regular insurance card issued by my insurance provider.

I had never heard or thought of it either, until I got married and my wife suggested it.

From InsuranceQuotes.com (Oct 15, 2013), which states that all U.S. auto insurance covers you in Canada:
"However, you should contact your insurance provider before your trip to obtain a "Motor Vehicle Liability Card / Canada Inter-province" insurance card, which is available at no additional charge from your insurance carrier. If you do not have the Canada-specific insurance card, you may be liable for a fine if a Canadian police officer requests your proof of insurance."

https://www.insurancequotes.com/insu...e-cross-border

Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Lots of countries charge airport taxes and departure taxes, indeed APD is coming under pressure, with Sir Graham Brady and others calling for post-Brexit scrapping of the tax.
I had to pay a departure tax years ago, when I left Japan. It was a matter of buying a ticket from a machine, and then using that ticket in the ticket gate to get access to the departure concourse. I knew about it, and had made sure I had an extra 2,000 yen cash to pay for it. But it made me wonder what would have happened if I didn't have the 2,000 yen. Would I have still been allowed to leave or would I have had to stay in Japan forever? Or maybe I would have had to stay until my time was up, and then they would have deported me for free. LOL.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:12 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

It's not really an unreasonable policy. If you have been convicted of a DUI, you have already proven that you are irresponsible enough to drive drunk. Canada simply wants some evidence that you have been rehabilitated and are not going to be doing some nonsense like that while in Canada.

That said, by itself one drunk driving conviction doesn't seem like a very good reason to keep someone out of the country, but that is Canada's call to make.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:41 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Whew, 1998! Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I got my wild oats in a decade before that.

And I guess the unpaid 1993 parking ticket in Montreal somehow got lost, too...
Do Canada a favor and STAY in the US, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel