Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You don't have to be treated like ___, but you can lobby your own government to ease off on the modern-day racism entrenched in unequal visa rules. If you are American, do you know that your government allows visa-free access to EU citizens and not to those of Third World countries? Do you find this fair?

Yes, because EU citizens tend to go back home after their business or vacation is over. Half of our illegal aliens came into this country legally and overstayed their visa. Very few EU citizens are here illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:43 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What?! When did that start, and does that apply to Americans? How many DUI convictions "keep you out of Canada"? For the record I've never been denied entry to Canada, and I've travelled there by car, train, bus, bicycle, and on foot.

That's been around for a long time. Even a DUI arrest pled down to reckless driving will keep you out of Canada. My wife's son and a friend found that out first hand when the friend was denied entry into Canada. So one DUI conviction or one DUI arrest pled down to reckless driving will keep you out of Canada.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Beginning Jan. 21, 2021, all Americans looking to travel to a European Schengen-zone country, including France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and others, will need ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) authorization. This includes minors.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans
Great, this will reduce European tourist money from Americans to Europe.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's been around for a long time. Even a DUI arrest pled down to reckless driving will keep you out of Canada. My wife's son and a friend found that out first hand when the friend was denied entry into Canada. So one DUI conviction or one DUI arrest pled down to reckless driving will keep you out of Canada.

That's the first time I'd heard that a reckless driving conviction will keep you out of Canada. For many years, DUI conviction certainly will unless you jump through hoops to clear up the personal non grata status.

A Google turned up this so it's apparently a recent law change:
Quote:
Depending on the exact wording, a reckless driving charge in the United States may be equivalent to the charge of "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle" in Canada. This hybrid infraction, found in section 249(1)(a) of the Canadian Criminal Code, may be an indictable offense punishable by up to ten years imprisonment, and as a result, any foreign conviction that equates to this crime can render a person inadmissible to Canada for life. In December 2018, Canada passed new impaired driving laws and as a result crimes such as reckless driving, hit and run, flight from a police officer, and operating with a suspended license are now considered serious criminality. Consequently, an American with a past offense that equates to one of these crimes is no longer eligible for automatic Deemed Rehabilitation after ten years and could be at risk of a border refusal forever unless they have successfully attained special permission to enter the country.

Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction

Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's the first time I'd heard that a reckless driving conviction will keep you out of Canada. For many years, DUI conviction certainly will unless you jump through hoops to clear up the personal non grata status.

A Google turned up this so it's apparently a recent law change:

Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction
The US relationship with Canada is possible closer than most countries, however in terms of other countries it's fairly easy to just lie as unless you are on some terrorist watchlist you are unliklely to face any kind of check.

In terms of the UK and many other countries the following applies -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theInfoHub by Unlock

Lying on the ESTA form

Access to the UK Police National Computer (PNC)

The United States does not have access to the Police National Computer (see the FOI response below). The security services do share information about high-profile crimes, serious offences or if someone is a security risk, but this is not done as a matter of routine.

However, the United States authorities are able to seek details of any criminal convictions held on the Police National Computer on an individual request basis through Interpol channels. This rarely happen

Travelling to the US - Travelling without a visa - theInfoHub by Unlock

Old 03-11-2019, 06:13 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
On a positive note, the UK is not a participant in Schenghen, and is currently trying to leave the EU.

So you can visit London and the UK without forking out seven euros.

UK charges Air Passenger Duty on any passenger flying from outside EU to UK and vice-versa. This is added on the Air Ticket Fare. It is 78 Pounds !!! So unknowingly every passenger is paying this huge amount.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
UK charges Air Passenger Duty on any passenger flying from outside EU to UK and vice-versa. This is added on the Air Ticket Fare. It is 78 Pounds !!! So unknowingly every passenger is paying this huge amount.
Lots of countries charge airport taxes and departure taxes, indeed APD is coming under pressure, with Sir Graham Brady and others calling for post-Brexit scrapping of the tax.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
This blew up on my Facebook feed over the weekend with people freaking out about how they "need to travel to Europe before this kicks in." I don't really see the big deal in this to be honest and was surprised there wasn't something in place already.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:23 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
The CNN article says minors don't need the visa.

"Minors, the website said, will still only need their normal passports to travel after the visas go into effect."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...021/index.html
I don't trust anything CNN says and don't read their articles or watch the TV channel either. They can't just tell the facts of any story without either spinning it, intentionally leaving out details or they just simply screw it up. Apparently in this particular case, the morons screwed it up because if anyone with any intelligence goes and reads the actual requirements, it is clear minors also have to be included but are not charged the fee.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What?! When did that start, and does that apply to Americans? How many DUI convictions "keep you out of Canada"? For the record I've never been denied entry to Canada, and I've travelled there by car, train, bus, bicycle, and on foot.
Technically, I believe it's just one, though I think there is some discretion on the part of the border guards. After five or ten years, you can apply for some sort of "criminal rehabilitation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel