Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Lots of countries charge airport taxes and departure taxes, indeed APD is coming under pressure, with Sir Graham Brady and others calling for post-Brexit scrapping of the tax.

UK also charges exorbitant Passenger Service charges in addition to APD. That is also huge.

I made a comparison with what UK charges to what USA, UAE & India charge.

UK charges 78 Pounds Air Passenger duty and 46 Pounds Passenger Service charges (from London Heathrow) and 20.60 Passenger service charges from Manchester Airport on every passenger ticket. So it is like 100 pounds atleast from every passenger on every ticket from Manchester and 124 pounds for every London Departure.

USA I checked were charging around 49 Pounds of various charges like (Immigration User, Custom User,APHIS, Arrival Tax, 11th Facility, Passenger Facility Charge). I checked for London Heathrow to Newark Flight. Compare this to 124 pounds figure. So UK has already taken 75 pounds more from American passengers on their ticket.

UAE I checked for Emirates Manchester to Dubai Flight. UAE were charging 16.60 pounds (Departure fees as well as facility charges ).

For London to Delhi flight ticket , India was charging 4.60 pounds as departure tax as well as airport facility charges. UK was charging 78 pounds Air Passenger Duty and 46 pounds Passenger service charge. 120 Pounds more !!!!

Last edited by munna21977; 03-11-2019 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Great, this will reduce European tourist money from Americans to Europe.
Highly doubt it. Who would cancel a trip to Europe because they have to pay 7 euros to have a visa waiver? LOL! We have visitors from Europe frequently and they have to get an ESTA visa waiver to visit us. Hasn't stopped them yet.

I'm failing to see why this is an issue at all. My son just went to Australia and needed a visa waiver. He filled out the form, paid his $15 or whatever it was, and had an answer back in his email the next day. (It was yes, you're good to go.) It would never even occur to me to hesitate to do this in order to go anywhere at all. Strange that people are up in arms over it.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Highly doubt it. Who would cancel a trip to Europe because they have to pay 7 euros to have a visa waiver? LOL! We have visitors from Europe frequently and they have to get an ESTA visa waiver to visit us.
And that is why the EU is instituting an ESTA for US visitors. It's tit-for-tat. We're hardly in a position to complain, since we began it by requiring an ESTA from EU visitors several years ago.

Quote:
I'm failing to see why this is an issue at all..
Well, it imposes a minor burden where no burden previously existed, so I can see why people aren't happy about it. But it's a very small burden, and compared to the hassles involved in getting a real visa it's nothing. It certainly won't stop me from traveling to Europe should I wish to go there after the requirement takes effect. (I'm planning to go to Australia in 2020, so I'll be needing to fill out their online ESTA once my plans are firm. What's one more?)

Old 03-11-2019, 12:05 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Or seniors over 70
Quote from above link:
"Travellers will have to pay a one-off €7 fee (for travellers between 18 and 70 years old) and the authorisation issued will be valid for three years."
Quote:
Affordable, simple and fast: All visa-free travellers will need to request ETIAS authorisation prior to their visit to the Schengen area. Completing the online application should not take more than 10 minutes with automatic approval being given in over 95% of cases. Travellers will have to pay a one-off €7 fee (for travellers between 18 and 70 years old) and the authorisation issued will be valid for three years.
First sentence, ALL so yes under 18 and over 70 you still have to request ETIAS you just aren't charged the 7 euro.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And that is why the EU is instituting an ESTA for US visitors. It's tit-for-tat. We're hardly in a position to complain, since we began it by requiring an ESTA from EU visitors several years ago.
I disagree with your explanation (EU vs. USA). There's absolutely no evidence that this somehow is retaliation for the ESTA. ETIAS will apply to visitors from all visa-exempt countries regardless of whether or not they have an ESTA-like system into place.

EU politicians and bureaucrats are responding to public pressure as everybody is asking governments to do something about the risk of terrorism, and there's a perception that this may improve things in some way. It's a paradigm change after 30 years of the mantra "no borders is a good thing", where border control was essentially limited to a single officer and his computer system at a single port of entry. The pendulum is swinging back, my prediction is at some point we'll reach an equilibrium where everybody needs some sort of prior authorization to enter another country that does not explicitly have open borders, and then depending where you come from and where you want to visit, you'll either have "the visa that's normally easy to get and which we don't even officially call a visa" or "the regular go through a bunch of hoops visa".

Old 03-11-2019, 03:12 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's been around for a long time. Even a DUI arrest pled down to reckless driving will keep you out of Canada. My wife's son and a friend found that out first hand when the friend was denied entry into Canada. So one DUI conviction or one DUI arrest pled down to reckless driving will keep you out of Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Technically, I believe it's just one, though I think there is some discretion on the part of the border guards. After five or ten years, you can apply for some sort of "criminal rehabilitation."
Wow I'm a serious Desperado. I had 2 DUI's in the late 1980s and yet I traveled routinely to Canada without ever being asked about it. Even went there a couple times while my license was under suspension!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
First sentence, ALL so yes under 18 and over 70 you still have to request ETIAS you just aren't charged the 7 euro.
good... 2021 implementation will get me through my 2020 POTUS Presidential campaign exodus from USA...and my 2021 passport expiry.

Next trip I may be pushing age 70! (Free)
Not that 7 Euro is a killer... but I don't have a printer (plus no internet available at home... in the good ole USA...)

Old 03-11-2019, 05:37 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My husband will get it free too, he will be 70. Hurray!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:14 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow I'm a serious Desperado. I had 2 DUI's in the late 1980s and yet I traveled routinely to Canada without ever being asked about it. Even went there a couple times while my license was under suspension!
That’s before the law was changed where states had to log DUI convictions to the National Driver Register or lose Federal highway funds. That happened in 1998. The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century. The FBI picks up the convictions from that registry and Canada has access to the FBI database.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Countries can access criminal records from amother country via Interpol, however it is a costly and time consuming process.

In terms of individuals that can't travel to the US, they would be people who have been stenced to prison for a total of four years or have been convicted pf a serious violent or sexual offence.

The main information that is flagged involves those on terror watchlists or those convicted of violence and sexual offences who have been put on a special register, usually these individuals have to inform the police they are going to leave the country.

More trivial offences, especially those resulting in less than 12 months in prison are not generally a problem when travelling.
Canada has direct access to the US records without going through Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What?! When did that start, and does that apply to Americans? How many DUI convictions "keep you out of Canada"? For the record I've never been denied entry to Canada, and I've travelled there by car, train, bus, bicycle, and on foot.
More info here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ssibility.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel