Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Beginning Jan. 21, 2021, all Americans looking to travel to a European Schengen-zone country, including France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and others, will need ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) authorization. This includes minors.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 03:03 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
It’s not a visa. It’s a permit. You go to a web site, pay 7 Euros, fill out the form, it does a security check, and you save/print the permit. It’s supposed to be a couple of minutes. If you fail the security screening, it’s processed manually and a human decides if you can be admitted to Europe. I imagine you will be asked for your etias permit number along with your passport information when you check in for a flight to Europe. No different from entering your known traveler number for TSA Pre.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

I’m wondering about DUI convictions. Those already keep you out of Canada unless you jump through hoops. Another reason to never drink and drive.

7 Euros isn’t gonna kill me. Way cheaper and less hassle than getting TSA Pre, Global Entry, or NEXUS. I’ve had visa applications that were a PITA and required a trip to the consulate. This is trivial.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:18 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
The ETIAS system is similar to the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) the United States uses for countries in the Visa Waiver.

So ETIAS is just a visa waiver system, although as already pointed out it cost seven euros.

Anyone travelling to the US from most of Europe requires an ESTA Visa Waive fot stays of less than 90 daysr, which you can fill in on-line, and it seems the EU is now bringing in a similar system, although I think there are other more effective ways for the EU to improve border security including the scrapping of Schenghen.

A full visa is required for those staying over 90 days in the US and will also be the case under the new ETIAS system.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-09-2019 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2019, 05:47 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The ETIAS system is similar to the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) the United States uses for countries in the Visa Waiver.

So ETIAS is just a visa waiver system, although as already pointed out it cost seven euros.

Anyone travelling to the US from most of Europe requires an ESTA Visa Waive fot stays of less than 90 daysr, which you can fill in on-line, and it seems the EU is now bringing in a similar system, although I think there are other more effective ways for the EU to improve border security including the scrapping of Schenghen.

A full visa is required for those staying over 90 days in the US and will also be the case under the new ETIAS system.
Can I assume that there is/will be a charge for the ETIAS visa waiver?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Can I assume that there is/will be a charge for the ETIAS visa waiver?
Seven Euros by all accounts, however on the bright side it's a lot cheaper and more hassle free than a visa.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:13 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
I have several business trips to Germany in a year, but my employer will pay for it anyways.

Bear in mind that, although it’s only seven euros, and it’s an easy process, they’ll only keep making it more expensive and difficult to obtain over the years.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I have several business trips to Germany in a year, but my employer will pay for it anyways.

Bear in mind that, although it’s only seven euros, and it’s an easy process, they’ll only keep making it more expensive and difficult to obtain over the years.

Oh I don't know. Tourism brings in big money to many EU nations, don't think anyone seriously wants to kill that golden egg laying goose.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Beginning Jan. 21, 2021, all Americans looking to travel to a European Schengen-zone country, including France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and others, will need ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) authorization. This includes minors.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans

The CNN article says minors don't need the visa.

"Minors, the website said, will still only need their normal passports to travel after the visas go into effect."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...021/index.html

Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Sounds similar as Australia ETA visa required for USA visitors.

A bit of 'reciprocal' pay-back.

Govt's like anything to do with increasing their pay collection.

Agree it is a PITA for travelers. Especially when you don't know ahead of time.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
The CNN article says minors don't need the visa.

"Minors, the website said, will still only need their normal passports to travel after the visas go into effect."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...021/index.html
None of the info provided in this thread actually comes from an official source. Here is the main page from the EU website:

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Security Union: Commission welcomes the European Parliament's adoption of the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and a stronger eu-LISA Agency

My understanding is that all travelers will need an ETIAS authorization but minors won’t need to pay the 7 euro fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel