Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
At times there are articles and discussion threads on the 'friendliest' places you've ever visited.

In all my travels internationally and in parts of the U.S., I don't think any place has struck me as being particularly friendly. I've been to Japan, Thailand, Germany, Mexico, and other places, and I haven't experienced anyone going out of their way to be nice to me.

Anyone else?
The people in Oklahoma were really nice. We almost decided to stay there!

People in Europe can be nice. A friend and I took a train from Sicily to Germany - with stops along the way.

When we stopped in Assisi, we grabbed a taxi and the nice guy found us a place to stay. He then came and got us the next day to drive us around.

The only rude person i remember was a guy manning a register in Kuwait. He was getting aggravated cuz i didn't give him the right amount of currency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
I wouldn’t count Chicago as a friendliest place we’ve visited but one occasion there really struck me. We took a bus there and asked the driver about a specific stop. I was expecting at most a brief reply like “3rd stop from here” but the driver actually took upon himself to alert us when our stop was coming up and to make sure we get off the bus safely. Small thing but it was very kind of him and I remember it more than any museums we visited.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Might as well mention Bluefield VA/WV. We spent a day/evening there, and it was like a Twilight Zone of people waiting for us to arrive to be welcomed. Probably nothing special about Bluefield, it's just the way things fell together. On another trip, i met friendly people in nearby Princeton WV, too.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Nearly every place I've visited, the locals have been nice. The only places I didn't feel the warmth, were Switzerland and the city of Barcelona.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Scotland. The ladies in the shops were so sweet.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Friendliest and most helpful people: Pakistan.
There are many videos of western tourists visiting Pakistan with the same experience. However, main stream media has already brain washed quite a few of us so this must come very surprising.

Some vendors even don't take money from you saying you are our guest.
Many people walk up to you and say a friend hello with a genuine smile - some even offer free help of any kind.

Do not have too many of an unfriendly experiences but a couple obnoxious ones in Boston, Chicago, NYC and Eastern Europe.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
In my travels across the US, I have come to prefer people in NYC over residents of SF. Many of the people in SF seemed patronizing and condescending towards anyone who lived elsewhere. It was as if they viewed SF as the 'holy grail' in urban living in the US, and pitied people who lived in other places.

I didn't find this mindset to be nearly as pervasive in NYC. Although, you will find some of that attitude there, especially among transplants.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
By far and away the friendliest people I encountered overall were in Venezuela. Obviously I would not recommend that trip today. My visit was in 1996.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Friendliest and most helpful people: Pakistan.
I am making a mental list of travelers who tell me Pakistan is their favorite country in the world. The list is growing quite long.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,587 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
on a Nebraska theme (yes, usually very welcoming...)

Consider watching this PBS special if you have not seen it.
North Platte Canteen: Where The Heartland Opened Its Heart In WWII
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-heart-in-wwii

or via book.
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Tow.../dp/006008197X
Well, the book arrived and I've now tried to sit down and read it, but the words are too blurry. *tears*

I think I might have to give up. Great story, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel