U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 AM

49 posts, read 9,015 times

Advertisements

I have also visited Quebec province and I am sorry to say that I also had unpleasant experiences with the locals. We had bought a one day metro pass but when we tried to use it at one of the stations the fare gates wouldn't open. So we approached a station agent who informed us in a very abrupt manner that our tickets were invalid. Our insistence that we had bought the tickets just a few hours earlier only served to increase the station agent's surliness. Sensing that we were getting nowhere we left; fortunately we saw another station agent who let us through with no problems.

In one restaurant I was berated by a waitress who for some reason assumed that I was going to leave without tipping. I was nowhere near the exit.

In another restaurant we were told that we would have to wait to be seated. Meanwhile, other couples with no reservations were being seated right away.

Still, despite the issues we encountered, I enjoyed my visit and would go back if given the chance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 AM

477 posts, read 426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I brought up McGill University, NOT the OP. McGill is an English oasis is a sea of Francophones.
He did too, in this post.

I read his other posts and it seems that his visit in Montreal was... 52 years ago! He went during the Universal Exhibition, which was in 1967. A time when you couldn’t visit Eastern Europe, dictators ran South America and Spain and when Iran was the USA’s ally.

Things, and attitudes change with time. If 1967 was everyone’s reference point, not many tourists would go to NYC, as it was bleak and dangerous...

Last edited by begratto; 03-15-2019 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 AM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I read his other posts and it seems that his visit in Montreal was... 52 years ago! He went during the Universal Exhibition, which was in 1967.
Sheesh I wasn't even born.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 AM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
No love for the Frenchies of the west side of the Atlantic!

Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 AM

10,155 posts, read 4,049,404 times
Norfolk, Nebraska. I went through there on a road trip, and stopped to eat lunch and walk around a little to stretch.

Amazing. One old guy noticed my out of state plates and commented on my state, in a positive way, and asked what brought me to Norfolk. A couple other people were openly friendly, and the people in the restaurant were curious and welcoming.

So I just now googled it, to try to find the restaurant where I ate (couldn't) but was amused at the description of their town.

Yep, I totally agree.

"This is a place where people smile, take life a little slower, and ask total strangers how their day is going (and then actually listen to the answer!). With dozens of eclectic shops, dining, and service-oriented businesses, you will undoubtedly find what you’re looking for".

https://visitnorfolkne.com/portfolio...ntown-norfolk/

Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM

38,165 posts, read 14,910,326 times
Quote:
He did too, in this post.

I read his other posts and it seems that his visit in Montreal was... 52 years ago! He went during the Universal Exhibition, which was in 1967. A time when you couldn’t visit Eastern Europe, dictators ran South America and Spain and when Iran was the USA’s ally.

Things, and attitudes change with time. If 1967 was everyone’s reference point, not many tourists would go to NYC, as it was bleak and dangerous...
No, I did not go in '67. Were things friendlier back then? Were the locals any less likely to jump to unpleasant conclusions?

It was a couple decades ago though. IIRC, there was park with some remnants of the Expo that was set up as a tourist attraction. Though I wondered about this as they seemed plenty unpleasant to tourists.

Not to make too fine a point of it, but it appears we are being treated to a demonstration of the "friendliness" of the Montreal locals right here on C-D in real time.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM

477 posts, read 426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No, I did not go in '67. Were things friendlier back then? Were the locals any less likely to jump to unpleasant conclusions?

It was a couple decades ago though. IIRC, there was park with some remnants of the Expo that was set up as a tourist attraction. Though I wondered about this as they seemed plenty unpleasant to tourists.

Not to make too fine a point of it, but it appears we are being treated to a demonstration of the "friendliness" of the Montreal locals right here on C-D in real time.

I guess the way someone gets treated by the locals is a mirror of his own attitude.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 AM

6,574 posts, read 1,352,342 times
Quote:
I guess the way someone gets treated by the locals is a mirror of his own attitude.

I disagree because if that was the case, people would have the same amount of friendliness or non-friendliness shown to them no matter where they go -- unless, of course, they went somewhere with a prejudice already in place in their minds and this showed in their dealings with the locals.

For myself, although I have not traveled outside the U.S. except for Ontario, B.C. and Quebec province (including Montreal), Quebec was the ONLY place I've been where I found the people to be generally unfriendly.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM

38,165 posts, read 14,910,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I disagree because if that was the case, people would have the same amount of friendliness or non-friendliness shown to them no matter where they go -- unless, of course, they went somewhere with a prejudice already in place in their minds and this showed in their dealings with the locals.

For myself, although I have not traveled outside the U.S. except for Ontario, B.C. and Quebec province (including Montreal), Quebec was the ONLY place I've been where I found the people to be generally unfriendly.
I've traveled a bit and have found friendly, helpful people everywhere with the notable exception of Montreal. It's why it sticks out in my mind.

Lots of friendly, helpful people all over the world. Hard to pick out any one place, but had a lot of good experiences on the coast of Oregon and in Bethel, AK.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,562 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
on a Nebraska theme (yes, usually very welcoming...)

Consider watching this PBS special if you have not seen it.
North Platte Canteen: Where The Heartland Opened Its Heart In WWII
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-heart-in-wwii

or via book.
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Tow.../dp/006008197X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or