U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 PM

476 posts, read 425,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I disagree because if that was the case, people would have the same amount of friendliness or non-friendliness shown to them no matter where they go -- unless, of course, they went somewhere with a prejudice already in place in their minds and this showed in their dealings with the locals.

For myself, although I have not traveled outside the U.S. except for Ontario, B.C. and Quebec province (including Montreal), Quebec was the ONLY place I've been where I found the people to be generally unfriendly.
And Quebec is, incidentally, the ONLY place you visited where English isn’t the language spoken by the locals. Must be a coincidence.

Last edited by begratto; 03-15-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM

10,060 posts, read 4,015,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
on a Nebraska theme (yes, usually very welcoming...)

Consider watching this PBS special if you have not seen it.
North Platte Canteen: Where The Heartland Opened Its Heart In WWII
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-heart-in-wwii

or via book.
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Tow.../dp/006008197X
Thank you. I ordered it. Looks good!

Old 03-15-2019, 01:43 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Not to make too fine a point of it, but it appears we are being treated to a demonstration of the "friendliness" of the Montreal locals right here on C-D in real time.

So "willingness to bend over and take it, with a smile" = "friendliness" for you?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:52 PM

21,523 posts, read 14,343,579 times
Quote:
Wisconsin, no question about it. (I have been to or through about 35 states, btw, and lived in four of them.)

Btw, I do agree about Montreal and the province of Quebec being generally unfriendly -- but the people in Ontario and B.C. were very friendly for the most part, we thought.

Also, the people of Alabama seemed to be friendly, but they were fake friendly and very hypocritical in my experience. I lived in Montgomery for eight months in 1973, and absolutely hated it.
In the U.S., I totally agree. Hard to find nicer people in the U.S. than you will in Wisconsin. I've noticed it in my many trips there but also found that after 6 years in the Army, the nicest people I served with were always from Wisconsin.

The most friendly outside the U.S., for me, is definitely Thailand. The least friendly was definitely Japan.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 PM

6,520 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
And Quebec is, incidentally, the ONLY place you visited where English isn’t the language spoken by the locals. Must be a coincidence.
So are you saying that this is a valid excuse for being unfriendly? Maybe it is a valid excuse or reason, but I think that if that is what many people in the restaurants and hotels think, they will risk losing quite a few tourist dollars.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
So are you saying that this is a valid excuse for being unfriendly? Maybe it is a valid excuse or reason, but I think that if that is what many people in the restaurants and hotels think, they will risk losing quite a few tourist dollars.
Perhaps not, but it's a bit rich for Americans to complain about people living their lives in a place where they're at home, in their own language, when the U.S. is notorious for being indifferent and even hostile to multilingualism.

To travel in the U.S. (or in any Anglosphere society, really) and not speak English is to be made to feel as though you are mentally retarded.

They're almost always the least open-minded places on the planet when it comes to other languages.

And the linguistic arrogance is also usually on display when Anglosphere people travel abroad as well. It actually even rubs off on people who aren't native English speakers themselves but who speak English as a second language. And so you might get a Swedish guy or a Hong Kong guy who behaves like a prick with a random taxi driver in Rio de Janeiro because the poor guy doesn't speak English. Get this... even Québécois French Canadians who speak English as a second language can behave like this sometimes.

And if you think this actually keeps me up a night - save it. This behaviour from you guys has been going on so long, I've learned to roll with it.

But that doesn't mean I won't call out a blatant double-standard when I see one.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:34 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,483,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
In the U.S., I totally agree. Hard to find nicer people in the U.S. than you will in Wisconsin. I've noticed it in my many trips there but also found that after 6 years in the Army, the nicest people I served with were always from Wisconsin.

The most friendly outside the U.S., for me, is definitely Thailand. The least friendly was definitely Japan.
If you want to meet friendly Japanese, learn to speak at least a little of the language. Japanese is horrible to read and write, but a snap to speak. It has simple subject-verb-object syntax and no irregular verbs or compound nouns. It's one of the easiest languages in the world to learn to speak.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:42 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,483,575 times
If you are looking for hostile jerks, I will nominate the manager of my local Wal-Mart. Her idea of customer service is to refuse to help anyone who has the wrong skin color. She refused to accept my friend's tribal photo ID, even though it was issued by a federal agency. He wasn't "American" enough for her.

You don't have to travel to find people who hate everyone.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM

6,520 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Perhaps not, but it's a bit rich for Americans to complain about people living their lives in a place where they're at home, in their own language, when the U.S. is notorious for being indifferent and even hostile to multilingualism.

And the linguistic arrogance is also usually on display when Anglosphere people travel abroad as well. It actually even rubs off on people who aren't native English speakers themselves but who speak English as a second language. And if you think this actually keeps me up a night - save it. This behaviour from you guys has been going on so long, I've learned to roll with it.

But that doesn't mean I won't call out a blatant double-standard when I see one.
You seem to be focusing on rudeness FROM English speakers instead of rudeness TO English speakers. And, yes, there might very well be a double standard -- I'm not going to argue with you about that -- but the fact is that English is spoken by a great many people all over the world, and French is not. (Currently 20% vs. 3%, according to what I was able to find through Googling it, although the percentage of French speakers is estimated to rise to 8% by 2050.)

And, btw, I think French is a beautiful language, and I am sorry I don't speak it, but I have had a problem learning other languages even when I was much younger. I have read that young children can pick up languages fairly easily, but that was not true when I was forced to try to learn Spanish in the 6th grade and chose German for my foreign language in ninth grade (to try to please by grandmother who was born in Germany and English was her second language).

Old 03-15-2019, 05:47 PM

1,907 posts, read 957,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
on a Nebraska theme (yes, usually very welcoming...)

Consider watching this PBS special if you have not seen it.
North Platte Canteen: Where The Heartland Opened Its Heart In WWII
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-heart-in-wwii

or via book.
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Tow.../dp/006008197X
I visited several years ago because my late father had spoken fondly of his several hours there when his troop train stopped. What a surprise it was to find a photo there of my father jitterbugging the night away with a lovely young lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or