U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,409 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023

Advertisements

Since I always drive old beaters, I could mention a few places where angels were standing by to rescue me, either by the roadside or waiting for me at a nearby garage'

Ukiah, California
Pekin, Illinois
Rockford, Illinois
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Kingsley, Michigan
Weston, Missouri
Browning, Montana
Syracuse, New York
Providence, Rhode Island
Beckley, West Virginia
Bay Roberts, Newfoundland
Acaponeta, Nayarit, Mexico

Special mention for Providence, where my generator went out at a gas station at midnight. The attendant phoned his wife to get a bed ready for my young family and me, then took me in the morning to his friend's garage for a quick fix.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-22-2019 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2019, 01:38 AM
 
4,417 posts, read 1,643,607 times
Reputation: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I am making a mental list of travelers who tell me Pakistan is their favorite country in the world. The list is growing quite long.
So there must be some truth to it?
But where did I say it was my favorite country in the world to visit?

But more importantly, what’s a “mental list of tourists”?
You believe anyone who expresses their opinion about meeting friendly people in Pakistan has mental issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,409 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So there must be some truth to it?
But where did I say it was my favorite country in the world to visit?

But more importantly, what’s a “mental list of tourists”?
You believe anyone who expresses their opinion about meeting friendly people in Pakistan has mental issues?
One retains in memory some patterns of anecdotes, which can be used as guidelines for future decisions. Nothing else is implied. One can interpret my casual remark according to his whim. I did not say you were in that particular and amorphous list, but you brought it to mind.

If people would stop putting words in my mouth, it would sure save a lot of replies.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-23-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Status: "THE UNBORN R OUR FUTURE" (set 29 days ago)
 
5,278 posts, read 1,059,994 times
Reputation: 2944
Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 10:07 PM
 
4,417 posts, read 1,643,607 times
Reputation: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
One retains in memory some patterns of anecdotes, which can be used as guidelines for future decisions. Nothing else is implied. One can interpret my casual remark according to his whim. I did not say you were in that particular and amorphous list, but you brought it to mind.

If people would stop putting words in my mouth, it would sure save a lot of replies.
Most of my post had questions, and it was NOT an attempt to put “words in your mouth”.

Here is a simple one again.

What is a “mental list of tourists” and how it relates to Pakistan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 02:11 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,409 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Most of my post had questions, and it was NOT an attempt to put “words in your mouth”.

Here is a simple one again.

What is a “mental list of tourists” and how it relates to Pakistan?
It is a list of tourists kept in one's mind, along with particles of information they have rendered, relating to lots of subject including Pakistan, which might be noted if Pakistan arises in the conversation.

It's analogous to a "mental grocery list", which can be referred to when you arrive at the store without consulting a physical list. I thought it was a well-known concept. But you have a point, one needs to distinguish it from a list of canned goods and cold cuts that have mental issues.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-24-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 05:10 PM
 
3,610 posts, read 1,558,027 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I am making a mental list of travelers who tell me Pakistan is their favorite country in the world. The list is growing quite long.
Probably you read some posts in the Asia forum few weeks ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 PM
 
3,610 posts, read 1,558,027 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Most of my post had questions, and it was NOT an attempt to put “words in your mouth”.

Here is a simple one again.

What is a “mental list of tourists” and how it relates to Pakistan?
I thnk he read it in the Asia forum, where a thread was about Pakistan was one among of the top 10 touriest destinations.

But I have also heard that if you are a guest and especially from india, you get treated well. Its culturally very similar .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,203 posts, read 3,197,999 times
Reputation: 2031
Mexico City

It can be hard to answer these sorts of questions by people like me who have had some pretty short trips in certain places. Meaning, if I stayed longer in some of the cities I'd visited, I may have had some unfriendly encounters that would have cancelled out the friendly ones lol.

In the DF, I had a couple of experiences where the locals found me a bit of a rarity and just seemed genuinely interested in me so they wanted to engage in conversation, take photos together, hang out, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 01:58 PM
 
4,417 posts, read 1,643,607 times
Reputation: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I thnk he read it in the Asia forum, where a thread was about Pakistan was one among of the top 10 touriest destinations.

But I have also heard that if you are a guest and especially from india, you get treated well. Its culturally very similar .
Yep, the majority of Indian Pakistani people are quite friendly, welcome and frank to each other.

I've seen a few videos of Indian Sikhs visiting Pakistan and getting a very warm welcome and friendly treatment through out their trip.

Many Indians and Pakistanis mingle well abroad. It's the political brain washing back home that has pitted, a few from both sides, against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top