U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 01:50 AM

37,967 posts, read 55,724,604 times

Advertisements

Usually, they all are friendly to me, if I am friendly to them. Never met anyone particularly rude. It helps to speak at least a little of their language and understand/follow their customs. They truly appreciate that effort.
I never expect anything being to my standards, or demand it.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 03:05 AM

15,067 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
And 25 years ago, everyone in China dropped what they were doing to see to our needs. I've heard it isn't like that anymore.
I was in China 27 years ago, and agree. I remember very fondly the people shouting "Hello, Joe!" When I walked down the street and having people asking to walk and talk with me a bit so they could practice their English.

It's much easier for me to recall places where I experienced more than a handful of unhelpful locals - which is very different than unfriendly. Barcelona. Cardiff, Wales. Beverly Hills.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 AM

38,124 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Scotland was the friendliest place I've ever visited.

Montreal was the unfriendliest.

Several of us who only spoke English were invited to speak at a conference. The local populations as well as the conference attendees were consistently arrogant, rude, and unfriendly to us because we were not not able to speak French.

It is still a mystery why they invited us.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:43 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
cuba
Huh. That's how they come across in movies. So you can just fly there now, no restrictions?

Old 03-10-2019, 01:50 PM

215 posts, read 89,925 times
I recall that Slovenia seemed notably friendlier than the other European countries when I visited in 2007. One waiter warmly patted me on the back when he saw my English-language guidebook on the table. Other instances like that as well. In the rest of Europe, most people were polite enough but just tolerated tourists.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:02 PM

8,245 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Belfast and Edinburgh

Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,691,758 times
Pre-9/11, the USA was very friendly. After that, not so much, but they are still relatively friendly compared to many other nationalities.

Interesting that Paris and/or France comes up so often in the unfriendly list. While not as overtly friendly as Americans, they are still miles ahead of the British. If you speak French to them you can usually elicit a smile. No amount of niceness will elicit a smile in the UK. The UK is one of the unfriendlest places I've been to. Seriously, the rudeness and snobbery there makes me physically ill every time I visit. Then again, I have not been to China and that seems to get many negative reviews as well.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:45 PM

5,752 posts, read 4,165,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Scotland was the friendliest place I've ever visited.

Montreal was the unfriendliest.

Several of us who only spoke English were invited to speak at a conference. The local populations as well as the conference attendees were consistently arrogant, rude, and unfriendly to us because we were not not able to speak French.

It is still a mystery why they invited us.
Cuba- most friendly.

I was going to say Quebec as the most unfriendly. For some reason, they think their French language is threatened if they speak much English. Northern Quebec is the worst (up in the boonies). They don't even make an attempt to understand you /communicate with you.

The probably invited you because the organizers had a more or less forced agenda of having to be "diverse" for the few English-speaking people present in the audience.

For store owners to be charged for having a sign out in Quebec that is larger in English than French, utterly ridiculous and discriminatory!

Old 03-10-2019, 02:46 PM

9,354 posts, read 6,251,862 times
Small towns in Greece (definitely not Athens) Spili, Chania, (almost everywhere in Crete) were the best. Friendly and fun

Our last few trips to Europe (Greece, France, Germany and Switzerland) we felt that they wanted our money more than they wanted us! They would have been just as happy if we mailed a check and stayed home.

So we now travel throughout the US and Canada visiting National Parks (Mostly the US, helping our economy)

Old 03-10-2019, 03:06 PM

38,124 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Cuba- most friendly.

I was going to say Quebec as the most unfriendly. For some reason, they think their French language is threatened if they speak much English. Northern Quebec is the worst (up in the boonies). They don't even make an attempt to understand you /communicate with you.

The probably invited you because the organizers had a more or less forced agenda of having to be "diverse" for the few English-speaking people present in the audience.

For store owners to be charged for having a sign out in Quebec that is larger in English than French, utterly ridiculous and discriminatory!
Signs in English? Where?

As I recall, we went to visit a park commemorating what remained of the '67 World Expo. Our high school French and phrase books were insufficient to the task. We finally gave up and went back to the hotel.

The conference itself was goofy. Though everyone spoke English, they insisted on headphones and translations.

We were assigned to sit with various ones at the meals. They would all talk in French. Since we could only grasp a stray word here or there, I couldn't see the point.

Several times I was asked how it felt to have people speak in a language that was not my own.

They went out of their way to be rude. Not sure what the point of it all was.

Stunning architecture, gorgeous gardens, public markets, museums ... seems like they want tourists to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or