U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 13,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Madrid, Spain - I was told by a gentleman that Madrid was “for me”.
Burgos, Spain - I have never been anywhere else where I have met people just so...contented and pleasant.
Chinchón, Spain - among the ruins, an elderly married couple wanting to share their memories of their courtship which made mine all the more memorable

Little things that meant so much to a complete stranger...

Oh, and Foley, Alabama - really!
When where you in Burgos? What time of year? It's a beautiful city! I'd be curious to hear more about what made the people come across so pleasant, b/c that's not the general reputation of people from Castilla y Leon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 04:51 PM

6,784 posts, read 3,859,912 times
Friendliest was Fiji

Unfriendly was never a place in general, but just certain individuals in various places.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:52 PM

375 posts, read 102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Scotland was the friendliest place I've ever visited.

Montreal was the unfriendliest.

Several of us who only spoke English were invited to speak at a conference. The local populations as well as the conference attendees were consistently arrogant, rude, and unfriendly to us because we were not not able to speak French.

It is still a mystery why they invited us.
I've spent the last 25 years spending at least some winter season time in Florida "snowbird" country. I could go on for many paragraphs recalling the many interactions I've had with French Canadians. Wow, they are one different bunch of folks. Hard to believe that an entire culture could actually travel to a foreign country and act the way many of them do. Arrogant, entitled, rude, unfriendly and stunningly self-centered. We are in the process of buying into a resort community in Fl. The fact that, with hundreds of individual property owners in the mix, there are exactly zero Quebec licence plates in the community, was clearly a factor in our purchasing decision.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 PM

3,546 posts, read 1,360,288 times
GotHereQuickAsICould....thanks for bringing up the 1967 World Expo.
i went there as a Boy Scout. my first and only Worlds Fair.

story:
four of us 14-year-old white boys (yes) got in a cable-car (our first).
then, a black family (wife,husband,son,daughter) got in with us.
we were dressed in our full-on Boy Scout uniforms and they were
decked out in totally FORMAL white. white shoes, white hats, etc.
THEN...in the most precise, clipped, British accent, they talked to us.
we could not speak for a while, until i asked where they were from.
"Bermuda, of course." they might have well have said Mars.
but...keeping with the thread here...they were excruciatingly
polite. we were....stunned.

Last edited by turkeydance; 03-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: number

Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 PM

2,753 posts, read 9,592,795 times
Bermuda

Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM

4,387 posts, read 1,666,771 times
A few bullet points, which I don/t know how to make.

90% of the people you meet are employed to serve strangers. Being nice to you is part of their poorly-paid job, and they may resent you, but have been trained to smile.

I judge a culture not by how they treat me, but how I see them treat each other, especially those beneath them in station.

The truly friendly are often too timid to interact with a strange foreigner. "Hallo Meester" is a sign of boldness, not friendliness.

I think one place stands out above all others, by orders of magnitude -- Newfoundland.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,017,320 times
Jamaica.

A local old man, with a grin from ear-to-ear, meandered up to our table at lunch and asked "What kind of bee likes breasts?'' I shrugged, "Don't have the faintest idea." He grinned even more and said "a Boo Bee".

True story.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:59 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Friendliest places:
Southwest Louisiana
Salt Lake City / Provo and Utah in general

Least friendly places:
Hawaii
Montreal

I generally do NOT have problems anywhere I travel. However, a few Hawaiian people we ran into acted like they really disliked tourists.

As for Montreal, staying at the University of Montreal during the 1980 referendum was probably NOT one of the wisest decisions I have made. In later visits, I stayed at McGill University. (Of course, most of the Montreal posters on this forum are great).

Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 AM

6,192 posts, read 2,860,021 times
Friendliest-
Charleston, S.C
Dern Near every Mid west town I visited...
Mobile, Ala.
Bar Harbor, Maine
antwerpen, Belgium

Any place in Jamaica! From the tourist areas to the Mountain retreats...Lovely place!! No worries

least friendly:
NYC and all its boroughs....
Most NJ towns...
Houston, TX ( Got assaulted there ...)
Miami, FL

Old 03-11-2019, 05:20 AM

5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Being nice to you is part of their poorly-paid job, and they may resent you, but have been trained to smile.
This reminds me of a former coworker of mine who moved to Japan about 15 years ago. He told me that after enough years living in Japan he learned that sure everyone is so formally polite but behind that bow and smile they absolutely hate you.

I found that quite funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or